Paris markets

Feb 18th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Paris markets

Does anyone know of some markets in Paris to go to that sell jewelry, clothes, purses, etc? I am going on a day trip there with my sister and she really wants to go to one! Thanks
Feb 18th, 2004, 11:02 AM

The only Paris market I've been to like that is in Place Monge on Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. I didn't think this market was very good and certainly wouldn't go out of my way to see it.

There's a huge flea market on the outskirts but I think it's only open on the weekends. Do a search for flea markets paris and lots of things will come up.

Here's a URL for Paris markets by arrondisement.

http://www.paris.fr/EN/Living/markets/
Feb 18th, 2004, 11:25 AM

I think a lot of them are like that, but I don't know if it would be at some level worth seeking out as a tourist. They tend to be cheap clothes, synthetics, made in cheaper countries, etc. I browse them when I need a little something because the weather varied a little, but would never go to them for major shopping plans.

I think the one on rue de Grenelle is about the best I've seen in Paris for that. It's right under the metro stop (La Motte Picquet). Here's on description of it -- it says open Wed and Sundays.
http://www.parismarkets.net/RueGrenelle.html

That description only talks about food, but they have quite a bit of clothing, shoes, misc stuff. As I said, I don't think it's anything that special or "Parisian" but it's the best one I've seen. I know the one at place d'Aligre in the 12th is known for clothes, but I think more used/cheap stuff.

I've seen others with clothes and misc junk but not as good as rue de Grenelle. I'd spend my time shopping in stores, actually.
Feb 18th, 2004, 11:27 AM

whoops, I realized I kept calling it rue de Grenelle, and it's BOULEVARD de Grenelle (in the 15th). There are both on the maps.
Feb 18th, 2004, 09:39 PM

The market near the Montparnasse Tower and Cemetery had merchandise as well as food when I was there in 2002. It's not very big though.