Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the best day for markets in Paris?

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hubby and I will be in Paris from Sept 11-17 this fall and would like to visit some food markets. What day is the best for this, and what markets would you recommend?

Thanks!
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:13 AM

Pick a day, any day: http://www.paris.fr/EN/Living/markets/markets.ASP

I like the rue Buci market, the rue Grenelle one, and the Monge one - but they're all fun to visit. And there's a great local artisan's market just next to the Tour Montparnasse on the first Sunday of each month for something different.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:15 AM

Here is a site with a listing of Paris markets. http://www.time.com/time/asia/tga/ar...526538,00.html

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:24 AM

One of my favorites is the Saxe-Bretuil market, on Thursdays and Saturdays. Saturday is best because lots of merchants and purveyors coome in from the country with their goodies!

It's on Place de Bretuil, near the Eiffel Tower
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:26 AM
ira

Hi StCirq,

Do you know if the craftsmarket will be open on Sunday, May 2?

What time does it start, close?

Thanx
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 08:52 AM

The Rue Mouffetard market is much better on a weekend than on a weekday. There are lots more food vendors and people. You can buy wonderful picnic foods like roast chicken and potatoes and other cooked foods as well as the usual fruit, veggies, and cheeses.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 08:56 AM

And if you go to Mouffetard on Sun. you can see (or participate in) the music and dancing. It starts at 1 p.m. Enjoy! CJ
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 09:09 AM

ira:

All I know is that when I was there on the first Sunday in October, there was a large sign that gave the name of the "exposition," which I now forget, and said that it was held every first Sunday of the month (no indication that it closed in winter or anything like that, and some of the stalls were heated), so I presume it will be open on May 2. I believe the hours were something like 10-3.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 09:20 AM

I'm not up on French, but I believe the website for the 'Marche de la Creation' says it runs every Sunday from 10:00 am.

http://www.marchecreation.com/montpa...nous.php?lg=fr

" . .à venir exposer tous les dimanches de 10 heures à la tombée de la nuit, sur le terre-plein central du boulevard Edgar Quinet au pied de la tour Montparnasse . ."
Metro Edgar Quinet / Bus 58, 91, 95
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 09:31 AM

The art market is open every Sunday and uses the stalls from the food market in the same location on Saturdays. The art is mixed - oil and watercolor paintings, hand dyed silk, pottery, jewelry. My favorite watercolorist is a young man from Singapore, Maurice Tan. http://www.warmgray.com/index.htm
The market site is right over the Edgar Quinet metro stop. If you go there, take a few minutes to walk the two blocks to the Montparnasse Cemetery; there are some funky tombs there - a cat, a mirrored bird, etc.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 09:50 AM

Rue Mouffetard is a permanent market street with shops, like rue Cler and Buci, and is open every day. The nearby roving market is at place Monge a couple days a week. I like that one (both rue Mouffetard and the place Monge market), and the one at bd Grenelle under the Motte Picquet metro stop about the best in Paris. Many of them are pretty good, I just like them better -- Maubert is also good, for example.

I didn't find the Marche de la Creation (which is every week) at Edgar Quinet of much interest, myself. When I was there, it was the same kind of thing you'd see at arts markets anywhere, even in the US, and the stuff was expensive. Perhaps what St Cirq saw a sign about was something else.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 10:53 AM
ira

Thank you all for your help with the arts market.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 11:01 AM

No, it was the Marché de Création for sure, and I could swear it said the first Sunday of each month because I remember thinking "just like the Louvre." Maybe it's become popular and is there every week now? I dunno, at any rate, I saw and bought some very interesting gifts there - handmade jewlery, e.g. - and thought the prices were reasonable. There were a lot of artists, with very varied offerings, and mostly Parisians, as far as I could tell, browsing the stalls.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 12:46 PM

Get yourself a copy of the beautiful book, Paris in a Basket. It's in hard cover with great pictures and only $20. It tells all about all the markets of Paris, what days they are held, how to get to each, how many vendors they have, what the flavor of each is, what some of the specialties are. Most open about 8:30 or 9:00 on the mornings they are open. I try to pick a different one for each day I'll be in Paris and start each day with a market, then explore in the area near the market. This gets you out of the central parts of the city and shows you some of the less trafficked sights. I think it's a wonderful way to get to see more of Paris than you otherwise might.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the replies! I will look into all of them!

Anyone else?
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 02:20 PM

We particularly like the Pl. Monge market on Sunday--it also has other days. There is a foie gras guy there that is SO cute--he was even on Racheal Ray's show $40 a DAy. The market at blvd Richard Lenoir is huge and beautiful--many of the vendors go from market to market. One thing that has just changed is that NO tinned meats are now allowed to come in even for personal use. that is a real bummer to me because I was going to bring a lot of foie gras back my next trip. It may be a stupid tit for tat in that we have disallowed French egg products or something. I love the markets--visit at least 2 every trip just to soak it up--and buy cheese and foie gras.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 03:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I really enjoyed the Marche de la Creation at Montparnasse; I bought a beautiful vase from a charming woman who has her studio near the Place d'Italie. It does run every Sunday. I have many colorful photos of the art work I saw that day, which varied from large scale sculpture to handmade hats and jewelry, to art made on metro tickets.

On the Sunday that I visited, there was also a brocante market next to the craft market. There were posters advertising the brocante market, so I don't believe that it is there every week.

On Saturday there was a food market in the same location, and we bought wonderful white honey from the farmer who raised the bees in the French countryside.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 08:35 PM

On Sundays there is an organic market on Boulevard Raspail in the 6th arrondissement. Lovely stuff, but rather more expensive than regular markets in less upscale areas.