Gnome shopping

Nov 5th, 2003, 10:41 AM
GR
Original Poster

Gnome shopping

Anyone know where I can buy a garden gnome in Paris?
Nov 5th, 2003, 01:21 PM

Not really, but an educated guess would be in the home improvement/gardening area of the BHV dept. store near the Louvre, or a large gardening store. Two of those are Espace Buffon at 27, rue Buffon in the 5th arr (near gare Austerlitz) and Carrefour Jardins, not far from that, at 167 rue Chevaleret in the 13th arr.

(These are called nains de jardins in French, just in case you didn't know.)
Nov 5th, 2003, 05:26 PM

I'd give a try at Marche aux Fleurs (flower market) on the Ile de la Cite along the Seine. Even if you don't find one, it's worth the visit. By the way, it's Marche aux Oiseaux (bird market) on Sundays. The metro stop is Cite and it is one of the original art nouveau designs so bring your camera.
Nov 5th, 2003, 11:22 PM

I am in Paris presently and am surprised at not having seen those, in view of Amelie Poulain popularity in america.
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:36 AM
aj

For a little Paris Gnome humor check out
www.metropoleparis.com/2000/515/home.html
I did not know that gnomes were popular in Paris until I read this article.
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:03 AM

This is a good one too:

http://www.ocnus.net/cgi-bin/exec/vi...ve=33&num=8041

Andre
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:16 AM
aj

Andre,

Thanks for the information on the "Gnome Saga". I hope that they are all set free some day!
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:37 AM

aj, Ric, will be cancelling that metropole newsletter because of funds unless subscribers start contributing.
Nov 6th, 2003, 08:36 AM

" am in Paris presently and am surprised at not having seen those, in view of Amelie Poulain popularity in america"

After watching Amelie earlier this year and falling in love with that gnome, we spent the better part of April and May searching the web to buy one. Turns out the company that makes them had recently gone out of business. Luckily, we were able to track one down.

Since we found the movie so enchanting, every time we catch a glimpse of him now we have to smile.
Nov 6th, 2003, 10:18 AM

In July we saw them in the basement of the BHV. Also saw tons of them (in big wire baskets) on the Quai that runs between the Louvre and the Hotel de Ville. It is an area with a lot of pet shops and plant shops. I don't have my map with me, but another Fodorite will probably know which street I mean. Several of those gardens stores had them out on the sidewalks for sale.
Nov 7th, 2003, 05:23 AM
GR
Original Poster

I, too, loved the gnome in Amelie and was hoping to find a similar one. I have a gnome hidden in my garden at home and it never fails to make me smile when I catch a glimpse of it. Thanks everyone for the shopping suggestions; i'll keep checking back until I leave on the 13th.
Nov 7th, 2003, 10:58 AM

For the gnomads who don't already gnow it, this company in South Dakota is a source of all gnomes bright and beautiful.

http://www.kimmelgnomes.com/
Nov 26th, 2003, 10:26 AM

I am also looking for the gnome in amelie or one similiar to it. If anyone could give me some advice on where to track one down or the name of the company that went out of business that would help alot. Thanks
Dec 1st, 2003, 03:00 PM

I discovered little planter gnomes one day in Paris. They are small enough for a flower pot. Also didn't take up any room in our suitcases. We found them at a sort of dollar store near the city hall building in Paris. I think this was also near the Bhv store mentioned. We did visit that store as well, where I remember seeing much larger gnomes. The gnomes that I found have tiny spikes under their feet and little holes in their heads for watering. I only thought of the Amelie movie after seeing these little gnomes for sale.
Laura
Jan 12th, 2005, 10:34 AM

Hi, Yes you can buy it online at the travelocity.com gnome store. I just bought 3 (2 for friends) after seeing that cute movie Amelie. Here is the website: http://leisure.travelocity.com/Promo...t_main,00.html
Jan 12th, 2005, 10:39 AM

This is serious?

You need therapy. All gnomes should be smashed!
Jan 12th, 2005, 10:58 AM

I just ordered a travelocity gnome to travel with me. Now the little guy can make me smile, pose for pictures and will do exactly what I want! A dream man? Except he is a little too short....
Jan 12th, 2005, 11:30 AM

I thought those little guys who will do everything to make you smile were called blow-up dolls!
Jan 12th, 2005, 11:30 AM

SeaUrchin, can't wait to see your latest beautiful trip pics from Amalfi Coast with your new travelling gnome pal!

Too funny!
Jan 12th, 2005, 12:54 PM

The gnome thing certainly seems like a trend with some legs to it. We have a small one that we picked up over the summer and so far he's been photographed at the Eiffel Tower, in the Bahamas, with the St. Louis Arch and at the Boston Fish Pier. He will be visiting Washington DC and London in coming weeks.

Acquired just before being thrown away by a cousin in Iowa at the end of a yard sale, his photos are mailed in anonymous-looking envelopes to his previous owner from time to time. It's kind of fun and he doesn't take up much space.