Search

Paris

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris

Have not been on the Europe board insome time. However, will be in Paris for a week in September..mostly business for Oh. We have been before...but many years ago. Always find Paris a little daunting as far as rectaurants go...so much choice...and many expensive and mediocre. Any good suggestions anyone? Price does not really matter, but not really into extravagant meals and would prefer local bistros etc. Also anyone have info on street markets? That is my favourite passtime while OH is at work!
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 10:28 AM
ira

Hi M,

Very good reports on the Saturday market at Place de Breteuil along Ave. Saxe 09:00 – 13:00 Metro Duroc line 10

Re restaurants: where are you staying?

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 10:43 AM

Don't know diddly about restos - FLUNCH is my idea of one (sic)! But market shopping is my bag. Paris has at least 83 street and covered markets:
14 covered markets
57 street markets
5 flea markets (marches aux Puces)
3 flower markets
1 bird market
1 stamp collectors market
two 'marches aux forains' (itinerant travelers - one at Beauvau Saint-Antoine called "Aligre" selling fruits and veg - very animated - i tried to photo one vendor and was threateningly waved away - bit of a rough edge here - near Bastille.

Covered markets sell largely meat and veg - the largest is Batignolles at 96 rue Lemercier

but it's the street markets that are spread out all over Paris - the largest ones are:
Saxe Breteuil (Thu Sat)
Belleville (tue, fri)
Charonne (wed sat)
Bastille (thu sun)
Daumesnil (tue fri)
Cours de Vicennes (wed sat)
auguste Blanqui (tue fri sun)
Joinville (suburban Joinville-le-Pont by RER stop: thu sun
bigger is not always better however and the centrally located markets are most interesting:
Maubert (tue thu sat)
Monge wed fri sun
Port-Royal (tue thu sat)
Raspail (tue fri)
Edgar-
quinet (wes sat)
Barbes (wes sat) - low-cost clothes
appealing to poor immigrants

There are five flea markets:
Porte de Vanves (sat, sun), south edge of Paris and the much more huge Porte de Clignancourt - several sprawling markets - watch out for pickpockets here - one little waif brazenly stuck his hand in out day bag right in front of his mother who was running a stall! Very crowded - watch valuables (sat, sun and mon)
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 11:04 AM

My mom and I had very good meals in Paris last spring. And we enjoyed a nice variety too. I took an extensive list of recommendations, many of which we didn't have time to experience. We literally listened to people grumble on the way to CDG about lousy food in Paris. Not our experience at all, especially for dinner. Research makes all the difference. Here is the link to my trip report. Hope this helps.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...ris+mom+and+me
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 11:54 AM

Reasonable restaurant suggestions:
In the 7th ARR.
Cafe du Marche (Rue Cler)
Le Bosquet (I believe on ave of same name?)
Cafe Max (on main street --can't remember name -- find it in Zagat?)

2nd ARR.
La Bocca 59 rue Montmartre
Little Italy rue Montorgueil
Centre Ville
Le Tambour rue Montmartre near Etienne Marcel metro.
La Fresque 100 rue Rambuteau
La Grille 50 rue Montorgueil (French)
Chez Elle near Jardin des Halles
404 9 rue des Gravilliers (Moroccan)
3 aux Elephants rue Tiquetonne, (Thai and Japaneese)
Zango 15 rue Cygne Afrian/organic/French)

6th ARR
Arbuci or Bilboquet - 2 jazz supper clubs

Buddha Bar 8 rue Boissy d'Anglais

hope this helps!
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Mincepie, I've been working on a list of restaurants, mostly in the 5eme and 6eme, for my upcoming trip in September. I'd be happy to email it to you if you provide an address. Most of the places are bistros (with a smattering of ethnic restaurants and more casual places when you don't feel like a formal meal) that are mentioned again and again on the messageboard and/or are recommended in guidebooks. I felt pretty overwhelmed by the "restaurant scene" on my first trip to Paris and I've spend a fair amount of time coming up with different recommendations. My list also includes phone numbers and addresses too. If you are looking for restos in a different area of Paris, I've found that there are a lot of prior threads on the board that might help. I've found good recommendations listed by by price, hotel, arrondisement, even street. You might want to do a few searches and see what comes up.

Happy travels,

Kate
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 01:10 PM

Kate:

Would you email me your list? I understand, through another Fodor conributor, that you may be in Paris between 17-22 September and might wish to meat for drinks/dinner?

Dave
[email protected]
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 01:11 PM

Hi Kate
I've been to Paris quite a bit, but I'm always interested in expanding my restaurant listings
can you email the list to me at
[email protected] ?
thanks
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 02:53 PM

And me too, Kate, as long as it is not too much trouble. I'll be here next month.

Thanks,

Dick
[email protected]
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Kate,

I would really appreciate the list also. We will be in the 7th on October 3 through 7. E mail [email protected]

Merci
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 04:32 PM

Kate, would you shoot me your list. I've been compiling my own, we may have to compare. [email protected]
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 05:17 PM

Allard, 1 rue l'Eperon in the 6th, is one of my favorite places for bistro food, and it is of longstanding popularity in Paris. 3 course prix fixe for around 34 euro
Phone (33) 01 43 26 48 23

We just discovered Le Coupe-Chou our last trip to Paris at 9, rue de Lanneau in the 5th, and I'm surprised it's not mentioned more here. It's a romantic restaurant in a charming old building, and my meal of poelon d'aubergines (wonderful-would love the recipe-and although it contained tomatoes, cheese, and eggplant, it was NOT eggplant parmesan), boeuf Bourguignonne, and ile flottante for dessert was delicious, old-fashioned French food. Around 34 euro for the prix fixe, also.
Phone33) 01 46 33 68 69

I believe both these places close for a while in Aug., and I think you could get reservations when you arrive in Paris.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 05:35 PM

Great printed guides would include "Bistros of Paris" by the Hamburgers, and Le Routarde, though both are quite out of day now.

Well worth the price of the download is "Leeds Good Guide" to Paris restaurants, which is updated twice a year. Positively amazing for dining destinations with exceptional ambience and food for the lowest of prices.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your info about restaurants and markets. I am always amazed at how generous you all are. I will think of you all as I wander the markets and enjoy the restaurants.

Kate..if you have time I would love your list and would be happy to share with you anything I have received from elsewhere.
[email protected] THANK YOU!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 04:27 AM

My absolute favorite restaurant in Paris is Astier,44 rue Jean-Pierre Timbaud. They have an incredible 27 Euro fixed price menu. Reservations are essential.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 04:36 AM

Kate--another request for your resto list:

[email protected]
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 07:41 AM

Hi Kate
I send my travel files out a lot, and find it easier if I post my own email address here, and invite people to write to me with their request. Then I can just hit "reply" and do the attachment, much easier than making notes of everyone's email address

If you prefer not to post your regular email address here, you can always set up a free one for fodors mail at yahoo, or many other locations.
Just a suggestion.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 08:00 AM

My favorite market street is north of the forum in Les Halles by suggestion of a couple guide books: Rue Montorgueil. Also the Rue Mouffetard in Latin Quarter is great. For a fantastic (although bit out of the way, but worth the trouble) small restaurant, I highly recommend the following that I have posted before:

This one is a real gem. I am afraid to even let the secret get out. YOu don't need reservations (although recommend it high season) and it is frequented by the french. However, it is locally recommended as well. We sat next to a long term american professor from the Sorbonne. They specialize in Prix-fixe menu with many choices of combinations. It is located on ile-st louis which is the smaller island next larger one with the Notre dame. It is considered inexpensive and the food is traditional french. You can enjoy a full 4 courses with wine for about 30E. Main courses were about 12-15E.

Au gourmet de I'lle
42 rue st-louis-en-i'lle
phone 01-43-26-79-27

YOu won't be disappointed!

You CAN make reservations, but we did walk in (February) and had no problem.

Have fun!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 09:00 AM

KATE ... I'd appreciate it if you'd email me your list. We'll be in Paris most of September.

Thanks. [email protected]
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 09:26 AM

Also in rue de Lanneau, tucked away behind the Pantheon is le Petit Prince de Paris, a delightful little restaurant. Excellent food, and very reasonable. Last month I paid 135 euros for dinner for 4, including a half litre house wine and soft drinks. It was the best meal we ate in Paris, and when I asked about it here, I got some very positive responses:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34628038

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -