Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Renting a Paris apt.: how promptly should the owner respond?

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all this talk of paris apts. is making me nervous.

we have one booked for the week after easter, via a nice man at vrbo. i've already paid half in euros (ouch!). however, i emailed him on dec. 11 and have yet to hear back! even re-sent the email just after xmas.

am i worrying too soon? i have his fax, phone, and cell numbers, so will try those eventually. my recent email was just minor questions about the apt. - computer hookup, etc.

should i start faxing now, or give it a bit longer?

for anyone else who has rented an apt.: if the apt. is not ready for you until, say, 2pm, have you been able to leave your luggage there? would you want to?

thanks!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Two potentially plausible reasons for the delay are email falure and the winter holidays. I wouldn't freak out just yet. Since you have phone and cell phone numbers, perhaps you might try calling if you have not heard by mid January.
Now, b-r-e-a-t-h-e.... visualize yourself picking croissant crumbs off your shirt as dawn comes to the city...
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 04:06 PM

Two potentially plausible reasons for the delay are email falure and the winter holidays. I wouldn't freak out just yet. Since you have phone and cell phone numbers, perhaps you might try calling if you have not heard by mid January.
As to arriving early/leaving luggage, that depends on whether a previous tenant is leaving that very day. If not, many will let you arrive a bit early. Even if you do have to wait a bit, you can always stash the basg at the left luggage area of a train station until later in the day.
Now, b-r-e-a-t-h-e.... visualize yourself picking croissant crumbs off your shirt as dawn comes to the city...
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:47 PM

I have this theory that since VRBO owners are out of town places owned by individuals, that most of those individuals tend to be travelers. In fact there is a good possibility they use the holiday time to use that property themselves. So I'd give them a little more time to come home and catch up on their messages. Don't forget, their rental is a sideline, not a full time business.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 07:59 PM

It's possible the person has been busy over the holidays. Normally, I wouldn't accept that kind of delay, but some folks are away at the end of the year. That's the risk you take when you rent directly from a single owner, however. I prefer not to do that myself, and only deal with agencies who have always responded within a day or two.

Some folks don't really care about answering questions once they have your money, either, but you should have received a confirmation of the rental.

None of the apts. I've rented allowed you to park stuff there like a hotel would, that's one of the differences in a hotel and apt. Some may, I think I've rend something to that effect, but I definitely wouldn't count on it. First, there are going to be complicated logistics regarding keys, etc., to allow you acces to the apt. to leave your bags for such a thing, which isn't an issue in a hotel with a staff.

Would I want to? Maybe not, as you don't know who will have access to your bags during that time.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 08:16 PM

I was very lucky. I contacted a VRBO owner on Christmas Eve morning...and by Christmas morning I had my apartment reserved and a receipt with 5 pages of info about the place in my e-mail enbox.

I agree with everyone though...they are/were probably traveling for the holidays. Give them another week or so.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 08:29 PM

Or he could have or changed his ISP, or he could be ill, or, or, or . . . .

I would give him a call just to make sure and ease your mind.

About your luggage - not too likely that you can leave your bags. vrbo's are one-off's, a single apartment owned by an individual so it isn't an "apartment hotel" with a concierege, etc. It MIGHT be in a portered apartment bldg with a from desk - but that is unusual. Calling the owner would clarify that too. Maybe he can suggest where you can stow the luggage until the flat is ready.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

thanks, all.

i had considered the holidays, family emergency, etc. the apt. is fully booked, so i imagine he's dealing with current renters as well.

one of my questions was about the luggage, so i'll start looking into other "drop-off" sites. the nearest large train station is gare de lyon, maybe they have a left luggage area . . .?
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:00 AM

We rented an apartment in Paris from an owner, and he told us we could arrange to meet his representative early on a Saturday even though others were leaving the apartment that morning. The representative when we called said the others were leaving quite early so we met at the apartment at something like 11 AM and the cleaning woman had just arrived as the rep suggested she might be. We left our luggage in the apartment so she could clean away. But we returned very shortly to get something out of a suitcase and she was already finished and gone. The apartment was not terribly clean, and I've always felt it was probably because whe felt we wanted her to get out of the way so she only half-way cleaned it. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have arrived until I knew it was all ready.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 07:53 AM
ira

Hi melissa,

I have found the French hoteliers are not as responsive to email as we in the US.

I suggest that you FAX.

>the nearest large train station is gare de lyon, maybe they have a left luggage area . . .?<

Yes. They do.

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

whew! i faxed the owner this morning and he called me immediately. apparently, he had emailed me back, but i never received anything (hmmmm, how does that happen?). anyway, it was very nice of him to call, and he answered all my questions.

thanks for the pep talks everyone!