Paris hotels choices. Any opinions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Paris in April and want to stay in the Marais area. We have our niece so we need a triple and are looking for under 180 euros a night.

We've checked these hotels so far, any opinions?
Hotel des Chevalieres 165 euros
Hotel Castex 220 euros
Hotel St. Louis Marais 140 euros
HOtel Lyon Mulhouse 120 euros

All of the above have good reviews on Trip Advisor and as of today are available for our 4 or 5 nights.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 10:42 AM

We stayed at Hotel des Chevaliers for 1 week at the end of September. The hotel is basic but the staff was friendly and helpful. We were travelling with my brother so we were given 2 rooms side by side in a little separate alcove that had it's own door. One room faced the street and had a double bed and the other had twin beds and faced a blank wall.. The beds were comfortable had nice linens, both of the bathroom were a good size and clean. no washcloths if that's a concern.The rooms themselves are in a little in need of sprucing up. They had flat screen tv with BBC and CNN international to catch up on the news...There is a small lift and AC.The location is excellent for seeing the Marais, near the Bastille, Picasso museum and Carnavelet museum.Great for strolling the streets. Lots of nice restaurants nearby, sidewalk cafes and bakeries. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Here is a list of hotels with triples that are either less € or better-located, or both that you might want to look into:

Hotel Delavigne
1 rue Casimir Delavigne 75006 Triple 150€
http://www.delavigne-paris-hotel.com/index.html

Hôtel Arley Tour Eiffel
34, rue Viala 75015 Triple room, view on the Eiffel Tower 159€
http://www.hotel-eiffel-tower.com/

Hotel Saint Jacques
35 rue des Ecoles 75005 Triple 160€
http://www.hotel-saintjacques.com/

Hôtel Louvre Marsollier Opéra
13, rue Marsollier 75002 Triples 180€
http://www.hotellouvremarsollier.com/

Hôtel Henri IV Rive Gauche
9 - 11, rue Saint-Jacques 75005 Triples 188€
http://www.henri-paris-hotel.com/
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 12:02 PM

We stayed last week at Hotel Saint Louis-Marais. No real complaints at all. The room was small, but we were really only in it for sleeping and that we did with no problem in this quiet location. We did have an issue with a bathroom drain that was not working properly. They moved us to another room and said they'd have to have someone in to tear up the shower floor to repair the faulty drain in the original room. I noticed, however, that someone else was staying in the room the next night and I doubt the drain had been fixed! I think, knowing now more than I knew then, that we'd look into an apartment in that area for next time. We didn't really use the hotel for anything more than a place to sleep and shower.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 12:03 PM

I should clarify that we LOVED the location of the Hotel Saint Louis-Marais.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 08:17 PM

re the castex..nice location on a quiet street. The rates you quote for it are a bit higher or certainly much higher than I was quoted last year. I suggest that you confirm the rate directly with the hotel (I think it was 130 for a dbl). Some rooms are small but the whole place was renovated a few years ago.
re Hotel St. Louis Marais- location again central and quiet but I too noted some plubing glitches. I will however NEVER stay here again. Although I enjoyed my 1 and 2nd stays, they renegged on a confirmed reservation (I had written conf and had actually left a package with them as I had stayed there the week before.. in addition, I am fluent and the reservation was made by a French friend who lives in Paris so no misunderstanding). I will never trust them to honor a reservation. I gather I wasn't the first with this problem as I have noted several others on tripadvisor complaining of the same issue!
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 05:53 AM

We are currently (as I type this) in our hotel room in the Marais. It's the first time that I stayed in this area and my wife sure made a terrific decision in looking for and booking a hotel in this area. Unlike the Times Square atmosphere of the Latin Qtr.and ome areas of St. Germain de Pres, the Marais has that Soho feel with more local contents.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 07:39 AM

I will be interested in finding out more about your hotel bill boy.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 02:18 PM

You might find info on these hotels at the website anamericaninparis.com
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 03:05 PM

sobster, there is no reason for Sylviam to go to that website and be asked to pay $10 for information that is given freely here.

Bill, were are you staying?
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

trevelbunny: The price quoted was direct from the hotel. I always go direct but only check on trip advisor and Fodors for other opinions.

Travelnut: We want to stay in the Marais area. I believe the hotels you have listed are not in that area or am I incorrect that the last 2 digits indicates the arrondisement?

Billboy: I am also interested in hearing your opinion. What hotel are you staying in?
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 12:23 PM

You are correct, that is what the digits are, although the Marais can be either 75004 (mostly) or 75003. The Lyon Mulhouse isn't really in the Marais, it's the Bastille area, although it's not far away and that's a convenient location. I would worry it might be noisy being right on bd Beamarchais, but I think some reviews say not so bad. Those are huge differences in price, that's all I know. the Castex used to be real cheap, boy it sure has changed. I'm sure that big a price range reflects something, probably the size of the room as well as some other things. Chevalieres sounds like an okay choice in that range.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Christina: I find that a triple just seems to run more. One time in London our triple room consisted of 2 twin beds with a cot between them. My husband had to crawl over the bed and cot to get to his bed.

My 14 year old nephew didn't care, he was just glad to be in London. Hopefully our room won't be that small but I doubt that our niece will care as she is in Paris. I am going to try to see if I can find out a bit more about the room specifics.

I am also looking for non-smoking and forgot to even ask that questions.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 03:23 PM

I have stayed at the Castex and found it to be pretty decent. Its a simple little place and has compact room but the location is good because it is right off the rue Rivoli. I have to say that i usually consider the Castex leaning more toward the Bastille area then the Marais.

Would you consider renting an apartment? I rented from parisbestlodge.com last year and stayed at the "Studio Rivoli" location and it was perfect. OK for an apartment you have to be a bit more independant, but for the price you geta bigger room, fill bath, washer/dryer and at this location a small balcony and a view! Best of all this one is right at the heart of ther rue Rivoli.

http://www.parisbestlodge.com/studiomarais.html

The agent is a great guy and very friendly and helpful. He also has a new place on the rue Bourg Tibourg that looks interesting. This one is right in the heart of the Marais!

http://www.parisbestlodge.com/bourg.html

If a self-catering apt isn't for you, another very popular Marais option is the Hotel Bretonnerie.

http://www.bretonnerie.com/
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 06:01 PM

I just offered what I found that happened to be under 180E, which was one of your criteria.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Travelnut: Thank you for the recommendations. I apologize if I sounded ungrateful. Many of your recommendations look great. I guess it depends upon what area we really want to stay in.

richardab: We are only in Paris for 4 or 5 nights, I don't know if an apartment will rent for that short a time but I will check into it.

We are rarely in the hotel so as long as it is clean, in a good neighborhood with lots of nearby eateries, we are happy.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 02:58 PM

Oh, I didn't take any offense! I just like looking up Paris hotels for people..
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 10:12 AM

I enjoyed Hotel Lyon Mulhouse - it was clean and comfortable and the staff were very friendly.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 11:51 AM

Try:

http://www.paris35.com/

A good range of central places at cheap prices.