Hôtel des Deux Continents 25, rue Jacob Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Deux Continents in St. Germain. How big are the rooms and bathrooms and how clean is it. this hotel is rated as a three star but doesn't look like it offers rooms that are any bigger than the two star hotels we have been looking at.

Has anyone got other suggestions for a two star hotel in the St. Germain/Latin district.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 10:08 AM

I have an entire hotel thread on this.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ank-thread.cfm
Happy Travels!
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 10:25 AM

You don't always find big room differences by size between 2 and 3 star hotels, it really depends partly on the price of the hotel (in general, there are definitely superior 3* hotels within that category, for example, and they, of course, tend to charge more) but a lot on the category of room you book. If you want bigger rooms, your best bet is to pay for a superior room, regardless of the hotel class. YOu also may get better value if you are in a less expensive real estate area, but St Germain wouldn't be that.

By law, the required room size differences between 2 and 3 * hotels isn't that great and only reflects the minimum standards. I always book a hotel with room sizes higher than the legal minimum, so it wouldn't even be noticeable. The minumum required room size for a double room only varies by one square meter between 2 and 3* hotels, and the legal minimum is very small (9 vs 10 m2).
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 03:19 PM

The last time I stayed at Hôtel des Deux Continents it was a two star so I cannot imagine that the rooms have somehow expanded. The French star system is very complex and consists of many parameters that most of us really might not find that important.

Still, rue Jacob is a great location. Take a look at Hotel des Marroniers or the Hotel d´Angleterre which I like better than Deux Continents:

Hôtel Des Marronniers
http://www.hotel-marronniers.com/

_____

Hôtel d'Angleterre
http://www.hotel-dangleterre.com/
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 03:36 PM

The rue Jacob location is wonderful; I have stayed just a couple of doors away at the Hotel des Marronniers, and although it is a 3 star, some of the rooms (and especially the bathrooms) are miniscule, too. As others have said, the size is not always reflected by the number of stars.