Search

Paris Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Hotels

Thanks to those who answered my questions in my earlier posts.

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a hotel in Paris between 75-100 a night (arriving 4/17/departing 4/23/04)? We will be staying for 6 nights and do not want to spend much more than 600 on the accomodations. We found a flight on Br. Airways for 1,178 for two roundtrip tickets out of Boston (which we will probably book), and we don't want to spend more than 1800 for airfare and hotel. We don't need anything fancy; we just want a clean, decent place where we can sleep. I have no idea where the best areas are. We would like to be near the museums and monuments, but we don't want to spend a fortune.

This is our first big vacation since our honeymoon over three years ago, so we want to stay at a decent place, but we definitely cannot afford an expensive hotel . . . we are looking for a two star.

Any info would be most helpful. I want to get this trip booked in the near future rather than waiting (I am just like that . . . waiting for a deal in late March is too risky for me!).

Natalie

Old Sep 14th, 2003, 10:58 AM

A hotel in the 5th that has been mentioned a lot lately (by 1 or 2 people) is:
Hôtel Residence Monge
55, rue Monge - 75005 Paris
Phone: 01 43 46 87 90
Fax: 01 43 54 47 25
http://www.hotelmonge.com

If you paste this url in, you will get a lot more suggestions to investigate:
(it's for a thread titled "Your fave Paris hotels under $100 for two"
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...=13&start=
0&keyword=129&searchText=budget+hotel
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 11:01 AM

I second Hotel Monge. We stayed there in July and loved it. We reserved by email, and then faxed our credit card info and recieved another confirmation email. Our rate was 95 euro per night, and the rooms were very clean and modern. The hotel is in a nice area of the Latin Quarter. Request a room with a balcony overlooking Rue Monge.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both! Finding a hotel is so overwhelming! Is the Monge in a nice area? We are looking for quaint streets, cafes, patisseries, etc. to be nearby. Does not have to be too quiet of an area, but we don't want to be near any loud nightclubs, either!

Any other suggestions from other travelers would be much appreciated.

Natalie
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 12:07 PM

I stayed around the corner from H. Monge, at St Christophe, and thought the area was fine overall. Especially liked:
Place Monge - market on the square 2-3 times a week
Two metro stops nearby
Rue Mouffetard market street
Not really minuses:
Hotel not in the "thick" of things, but close enough to walk to Seine in about 20-30 minutes. Close enough to walk to Pantheon/Sorbonne area, Luxembourg area (but not 'next door' by any means).
I liked St C. ok except: pd 123Euro for twin so more than you want to pay, and the plumbing whooshing thru the walls was kind of distracting.

FYI: it sounds like you haven't been to Paris yet, so be advised no matter where you book, your room is going to appear to be smaller than what you might be accustomed to. These are old buildings in city center and making rooms 'Ensuite' is challenging enough. But rooms will be fine for sleeping, showering, a little tv to wind down.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 12:29 PM

Try Hotel Daguerre, http://www.parisplanet.com/daguerre/index.htm
Rue Daguerre has the charm of a Parisian street with flower shop, butcher shop, fruit market, etc., and several small restaurants.

It was a two star hotel when I stayed there. It is now a three star hotel, but still within your price range.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 12:55 PM

ilovelabs, I agree, also, that the area of Hotel Monge is very nice and quiet at night, yet near many tourist sights and nightlife, but far enough away to be quaint.

There is also a wonderful bakery on Rue Monge a couple of blocks between the hotel and Rue St. Germain. I can't recall the name of it, but we've been to it a few times and they have some great things. It'll be on your left heading from the hotel to towards Notre Dame and you can't miss the line out the door in the late afternoon and evenings.

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 02:48 PM

I can recommend the Hotel du College de France (http://www.hotel-collegedefrance.com/accueil-us.html). It's a two-star hotel, but I thought it was as nice as some three-stars I've stayed at (it has an elevator, which many two-star hotels don't have), and it's within your price range. The rooms are on the small side, but no smaller than most Paris hotel rooms, and the bathrooms are a decent size. The staff is friendly, and most of them speak English.

The College de France is in the Latin Quarter, but on a quiet side street, so I had no problem with street noise when I stayed there. It's an easy walk to the Cluny (which you shouldn't miss), and there are lots of good inexpensive restaurants nearby. For anything farther afield, both the St Michel and Maubert-Mutualite metro stations are only a few minutes' walk away.