Paradors in Spain

Search

Paradors in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paradors in Spain

What is the best way to book a parador in Spain? I've found them to be quite expensive but when I read the travel guides I am informed they are of great value. They are supposed to be excellent for seniors. We are going 2 months before I become an official senior. I've tried internet, travel agency, phone. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 04:43 PM

Enter "paradors" in the search function above and click on for "Spain". You will find several threads on this issue. I did learn that you DO NOT book through the US affiliate or through travel agents as they are much more expensive. The website which you will find through the search will also enable you to find the individual parador fax or phone numbers. This is invaluable when the Spanish central booking office will tell you that no rooms are available, but the individual parador may still have room.

As to senior rates, if I remember correctly, those only apply to off seasons. But the paradors really are great value for the money. They are often like a four to five star hotel, with tons of charm and character. But don't try to price them comparitively with a one or two star hotel.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 05:05 PM

I did a little checking. The website is www.parador.es/english/indes.jsp. It is a little hard to use. You need to click the city or area you want to stay and get rates. The senior rate is for over 60 and according to the website can be booked, but without going through the entire process, I didn't see exactly how you could book those rates (or even get them) on the internet. You may want to use the website to find the hotels and the general rates, then fax the individual parador to make an actual reservation, including the senior rate.

And don't be fooled --cheap and "great value" are not necessarily the same thing -- in fact, they rarely are.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 07:51 PM

Joycers,

There is a typo in Patrick's web address for the paradors; you need to type in index not indes. Easier still just go to their home page at www.parador.es and in the upper right corner click on the word English. On the english version of the home page go down the right side to the Special Promotions" area. The Senior citizens special is called Golden Days. Then you can look on the calendar to see when the 35% discount on your entire bill is available in each parador. For most paradors only a couple of months during July, August or September are blocked off and most other months it is available in most paradors, especially Sunday through Thursday nights.

We are travelling in November with my mother and sister and I have booked 12 days of incredible paradors using the Golden Days discount for approx 65 or 75 Euros for lodging and the full parador breakfast buffet for the room my mom and sister will share. I don't know where you live in the US, but we can't even stay at a lousy Days Inn with a coffee machine for $75.

You do need to go thru Central Reservations in Spain or book on the internet on the parador website for these rates. I think the internet booking is needlessly difficult. Just e-mail Central Reservations in Spain and in English tell them which nights you want in which paradors using the Golden days discount. They will e-mail you a response back in a day or two.

You can also call and ask for someone who speaks english.

Except for some of the priciest paradors (Granada, Leon, etc..) almost all others are an incredible "value" for the money. By that I mean near luxury accomodations at a modest cost. Prices are also all displayed on the internet site.

Good Luck. In my opinion they are very much worth the extra effort of booking.

Maria
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 01:21 AM

joycers: I think in Spain and in Europe generally you just have to be 60 years old to qualify for 'Senior' rates. Unfortunately, in some cases (Renfe, for example) one must be a resident of Spain to qualify for Senior rates (i.e., Tarjeta Dorada)
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:29 AM

Thanks for correcting my typo. When oh when will I learn to use the edit function that Fodors added after our pleading?

Maria mentions the "pricey" parador at Leon. That remains my favorite parador with wonderful rooms, superb atmosphere, and a spectacular dinner of local foods. It may have cost more than some of the others, but to me it was the BEST value of all those I stayed it. We got so much more for our money than at some of the other ones --not that those weren't nice also.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions on booking paradors. I had some trouble with web address which was suggested. I couldn't find English version. I've decided to call Central Reservations in Spain and ask for help.

Joycers
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 06:48 AM

joycers,
I'd just like to echo that the "Golden Days" promotion is a remarkable money saver, and to add that for those who haven't reached that magic age of 60, the Parador system has 2 alternative money-saving promotional plans:

These are the "5 night card", a set of 5 coupons, one for each night's stay, and the "2 night special".

Since we're in our early fifties, these are the plans we use. They're both explained on the Parador web site.

The 5 night card brings the price of a standard double room down to an incredible 70 euros plus 6% vat.

The 2 night special gives a 20% discount off the price of a double room, buffet breakfast and either lunch or dinner.
Since we always opt for the famously bountiful Parador buffet breakfast and usually have dinner there as well, particularly at Paradors set in more remote areas, this also represents a significant savings.

For our Castilla-Extremdura trip in mid March, (follwing in Maria's footsteps!), we have our choice of booking these wonderful, atmospheric paradors using a combo of the 2 plans:
Gredos, Plasencia, Cáceres, Mérida, Guadalupe, Trujillo, Oropesa and Jarandilla.

The first 6 paradors accept the 5 night card Sun-Thurs. only in March, but many others accept them daily. Just check the calendar and terms of use.

For our wkd. Parador stay, we'll stay in Jarandilla, using the 2 night special, which is available there every day.

Since we stay and dine often in many Paradors, we've also become members of the "Amigos of the Paradors" frequent guest plan, which awards points for euros spent in the Paradors. We simply present our card upon paying the bill, and points are automatically added to our account, which we can redeem for subsequent stays. "Amigos" are also treated to a welcome glass of wine, free garage parking, Members also receive a quarterly newsletter listing special seasonal offers, such as free buffet breakfasts or dinners, free guided tours, 25-30% discount off the half board plan, 3 night stays for the price of 2, a 35 euro Sunday night rate in certain Paradors, etc. This is an extra incentive for those who travel often to Spain and love the Parador system.

We''ve been great fans of this wonderful network for 30 years, and this frequent guest plan certainly strengthens our loyalty to the program.

Old Sep 13th, 2003, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone for super info on booking paradors. I eventually did get the English version website. Yeah! When I first tried to get it the computer said site was "forbidden." I tried again today and yes; it turned up. I'm emailing central reservations and calling them. I am determined to spend some time in these places and am so grateful for all the responses.

Joycers
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 03:04 PM

It was quite awhile ago..long before we qualified for the "oldy" discounts. But on the advice of a travel agent we stayed at the parador in Toledo....specifically requesting a room with a view over the city. As I said... can't remember when it was, but that view is forever engraved in my memory.