Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help translate portion of a hotel website in Spain?

Old Jul 4th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

I am looking at a website for a hotel in Toledo, Spain and most of it is in English. However, when a type room needs to be chosen I have these two choices and I do not understand them. Do you know what Detalle mazapan ( think detalle is detail) means? The next one is just mazapan. Also by how many people in the room it has Locos Por Que Vengas???? Tried this out on my grands who are taking high school and college Spanish and my son who lived there for a year when he was in college and no answers. The Locos por que vengas on Google translate says Crazy for you to Come!!!! : ) Thanks.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 07:52 PM

why don't you post the actual website?
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Good idea, here you go:

www.carlosv.com
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 09:23 PM

I looked at the site...they seem to have a sense of humor so I seriously think that
the rooms come with marzipan
and the "crazy for you to come" means something like, these rates are so low because we are crazy for you to come.

Did you email them?
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 09:24 PM

PS the "Crazy for you to come" seems to have nothing to do with
the number of people in the room, but with the rate. The phrase appears with 1 or two or 3 people in the room.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 09:54 PM

What is really weird is that in the English version there are 46 standard rooms and 21 premium but in Spanish they have 24 standard and 43 premium.

And I still can't find the reference to mazapán.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

You have to put in a date and check rooms available to see the words Detalle Mazapan on one and Mazapan on another, same price however. It is under the strange LOCO phrase. I made reservations and in comment asked them to please tell me the meaning. If I get a reply I will post it. I chose the Premium Double Detalle Mazapan room, whatever it might be. : )
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 10:35 PM

Well mazapán is definitely marzipan. And I think in that context detalle means a gesture of appreciation. If it was in the US they would have written gratis marzipan.

It is nothing to do with the quality of the room.

Locos Por Que Vengas is probably an idiom which is an overwrought way of saying 'Thank you for staying with us."

I am not a native speaker, so someone may think this is off.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 11:23 PM

Hello Violet duck, did you noticed that the Carlos V hotel webside is also available in several languages including English. .?
Go ahead and check it.

Spanish is my mother tongue and Loco por que vengas, simply means Something like I am dying for you to come, or I am crazy for you coming .... Apparently it is just a marketing gimmick .

Mazapán is marzipan . apparently they include marzipan among the freebis in the room, unless it means in Spanish slang something different. it could be anything.I have no idea.

actually the previous phrase Loco porque vengas might also mean something different in a Toledo.
Go figure it.
Old Jul 4th, 2014, 11:53 PM

They are in Booking.
http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/carlos-v.html
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 01:14 AM

As Graziella says, and as a native Spanish speaker, Locos por que Vengas is a gimmick phrase that means "we´d love you to come and stay with us", kind of.
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 01:35 AM

The English version is:

http://www.carlosv.com/en/
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 02:25 AM

Doing it on both Spanish and English versions (also had a look at French and German), it looks like it's something to do with the kind of breakfast offered. Can anyone shed any more light on that?

Also, the reduced rate has a more restricted cancellation policy.
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 05:16 AM

Well naturally a reduced rate often has more restrictions that the full price. Sometimes the lower rates have no refunds under any conditions

That is standard anywhere - and you just have to decide how risk averse you are.
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 06:47 AM

Toledo is famous for marzipan.You will see it everywhere,supposedly first made by nuns in Toledo.The hotel is trying to be cute and instead of leaving a piece of chocolate you'll get marzipan-an acquired taste!
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I was on the English website, but they seem to have not known the English for the words I posted and mixed in Spanish. I am hoping they will reply to my question about the meaning. I did not choose the lower non- cancel rate. I cancelled another hotel there that was lovely and more expensive. After more reading decided we would prefer a hotel nearer major sights so found this one. I am pleased with the rates and breakfast is included. I have found less hotels in Spain including breakfast in rate than it seems I have in some other European countries. I am usually fairly good at working these things out but this wording got me!!!! Hope we do get marzipan, but somehow think it means something else especially since before one room it says Detalle marzapan and the next choice just marzapan. I am now wondering if it could possibly refer to tub or shower???? Doesn't sound like it but we will see.