Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Hotel (with AirC) Recommendations, Please/ThankYou!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning on an 8 day stay in Paris + 2 in Normandy in July. From what I've read, its pretty hot in the Paris at that time of year (probably not Normandy area) and we think we'd have a hard time getting rest without A/C. Our budget only allows us about $120 US or so a night...so that's pretty limiting. So many hotels on the different websites don't mention a/c so guess its not available, even in some of the quite expensive places. The couple we found in this price range and that state a/c (Grand Hotel Leveque is one)--don't have availability. We're hoping to get some recommendations/leads. I have checked a number of hotels on tripadvisor.com....and haven't noticed any reviews from the summer months.....usually only winter and spring when no a/c is needed. Perhaps we're putting too much emphasis on a/c?? Thanks in advance to you all for your help.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:16 AM

I believe the Hotel Bonaparte, a 2* in the 6th, has a/c. I know there are others that you will find if you do a search here.

One thing to keep in mind -- MANY hotels in Paris offer Summer Promotions. So, if there is a hotel that you think may be out of your price range, inquire as to whether they have a summer promotion and you may be pleasantly suprised! Good luck.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:22 AM

I would recommend that if you have time that you e-mail any hotel you are interested in directly and ask them to quote you their "best rate" for the time period desired and the type of room (single, doubel, etc.)

I have rarely had any trouble with having my e-mails answered although there are some on this board who feel that hotels only answer faxed requests which I completely disagree with.

I would <b> also </b> check rates on the various discount sites such as discounthotel.com so you can compare offers if necessary.

We are going to Paris in July also and as of now there are still plenty of rooms to be had in a wide variety of price ranges and many of these hotels are air conditioned.

Good luck and have a great trip.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:30 AM

Check out www.bookings.com and also
this hotel Littlepalace , they have a
website too&gt;www.littlepalace.com
bye, good luck.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:45 AM

I have booked double and triple rooms (there are 5 of us) in July at the Hotel Ibis Paris Ornano through www.activehotels.com, although the hotel have their own website atwww.ibis-paris-ornano-porte-de-clignancourt.activehotels.com. I have been quoted a total of 462 euros for 4 nights (and this if for 5 people); the hotel is airconditioned, has satellite tv, and includes breakfast. The hotel is one metro stop north of Montmartre, and so not really that far out. I am driving from the UK and didn't want to have to drive into Paris (wrong side of the road and all that!) but there is parking here and it's close to the Metro. Could be worth looking at....
PS See my posting about a GTG in Paris in July (12-16)
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 09:59 AM

The Muguet (7th) has A/C.
We have been in Paris once late August and were so glad our hotel had A/C!
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:07 AM

There are a number of budget hotels that have airconditioning. among them are Hotel Crim&eacute;e in the 19th, Hotel turenne in the 7th, Hotel du Palais Bourbon , also in the 7th, and the website fore Hotel Delambre in the 14th states that they now have or will have airconditioning. It is right around the corner from Montparnasse Boulevard. Others in the 14th you could check out are the Best Western Grand Bretagne, and Best Western Nouvel Orl&eacute;ans and Hotel du Midi.Also the hotel r&eacute;sidence Monge, which a lot of people on this website like, that is in the 5th. There is a budget hotel in the 4th that also has air conditioning. It is called hotel Anr&eacute;a Rivoli.there is also the Villa St. Martin in the 10th, near Canal St. Martin.
I have not stayed at any of these, but have at some point considered all of them, as I also do not like the heat. Surely you will find availability in some of them.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:15 AM

You might also want to try the Claude Bernard in the latin quarter; we stayed there during the heat wave a few years back in August and were very happy to have the A/C - also has an elevator! Rooms during the summer should fall into your price range but as suggested above, I'd call or email the hotel directly as they may have specials.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:29 AM

onthego, if you can find my posts from last year (February 2004 or thereabouts), I had more or less exactly the same query for my stay in July 2004.

I ended up bidding on Priceline for a 4* hotel in the St. Germain - Latin Quarter - Montparnasse zone. I researched the area and figured there were only two possibilities and both had A/C - Le Meridien Montparnasse and Sofitel Forum Rive Gauche. I bid $110 USD on Priceline and got Le Meridien Montparnasse. We got a newly renovated, spacious room with a good view looking north towards Sacre Coeur. Don't bid on Priceline without researching very carefully at http://www.betterbidding.com and http://www.biddingfortravel.com . In my opinion don't bid for the Montparnasse - Grenelle - Eiffel Tower zone - that is likely to give you a hotel that isn't even in Paris. And don't bid for less than a 4* hotel.

Other possibilities seriously considered - various Ibis hotels, the Mercure Raspail (which had a rate of 85 Euros per night), and Comfort Hotel Bastille (somewhere in the range of 70 Euros/night). You have to check out each Ibis or Mercure separately, though, to ensure they have real air conditioning.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:36 AM

Make sure you specify you want a room with A/C - I've read that le Nouvel Orleans has a/c in some rooms, not all.

You could try using
www.hotelsearch-in-paris, using the 'advanced search', check 'air-conditioning' as a criteria. You still need to check out any hotels' location and quality, not all listed on that site are desirable.

Summer special:
Hotel Helder Opera (9th)
recently renovated / air-cond rooms
85-105&euro; double/twin
http://www.helder-paris-hotel.com/

New Hotel Candide (10th)
Air-cond rooms, 71-89&euro;
http://www.cybevasion.com/hotels/fra...ndide_266.html

These are not as widely discussed and might be easier to book.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 11:00 AM
CFP

Not sure if they have air conditioning, but you should check out Hotel de L'Esperance in the Latin Quarter. It's a cute, clean hotel just a couple blocks from Rue Mouffetard, a wonderful pedestrian street/market. My family stays there often. I believe it's about 85 euros for a double room. Their website is: www.hoteldelesperance.fr
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 11:07 AM

YOu can do that as long as you don't expect a deluxe hotel and might need to compromise on location, if you are looking in the best areas. There are a few wellknown ones that do (such as ones mentioned above), but they do tend to get booked up ahead because they are wellknown.

I guess you are looking around 90-100 euro, is that right? I have never seen very expensive hotels in Paris without AC, so maybe I just have different expectations on that or you could be looking in the most expensive areas of Paris where that is perhaps possible to find a hotel with AC of 150 euro or more.

I've just been selecting a hotel for summer in the Bastille/Gare de Lyon area so can tell you a few I have found in that area with AC around your price range (these are rates for a double in July):

Hotel Beaumarchais, 3 rue Oberkampf, 11e
www.hotelbeaumarchais.com
110 euro

Hotel Aurore, 13 r Traversiere, 12e
www.aurore-paris-hotel.com
90 euro std dbl, 100 euro superior dbl

Hotel Lyon Bastille, 3 rue Parrot, 12e
www.bastille-paris-hotel.com
92 euro dbl

All of those are 3* hotels, I believe. Those rates are their summer rates and are sometimes lower than during the year. The last one is closest to the train station; I myself preferred the others for location, although all look decent.

I will also add the 3* Pavillon Bastille, which is my top choice. It is normally 130 euro in summer, but you can get 20 pct off and it's only 104 euro a night if you book at least 3 nights (they told me you must do it on the website, I don't know why--beware there are booking and stiffer cancellation fees on the website, read the terms carefully if you do that):
www.paris-hotel-pavillonbastille.com I have heard they have small rooms, also, but don't know the reputation of the others.

Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 11:25 AM

oh, I forgot a couple I found in the Marais with AC:

2* Hotel Sevigne, 2 rue Mahler 4e,
73-85 euro
www.le-sevigne.com

2-3* (not sure)
Hotel du Vieux Marais,
8 rue du Platre, 4e
106 euro dbl with shower, 135 euro with bath
www.123france.com

3* BW Hotel France Europe
112 bd Sebastopol, 3e
promo at 105 euro if 3+ nights
www.paris-hotel-france-europe.com
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:40 PM

We just stayed in the Best Western Hotel Bertange in May and were very satisfied with it. The location is good- a five-eight minute walk with luggage from the Gare Monteparnse. The breakfasts are good, air conditioned , TV, coffee maker, mini bar. Good restrauants, bath tub with shower, minibar. Close to a metro, supermarket, pastry shops. Will stay there again.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 07:08 AM

Here's another nice, affordable hotel with A/C. Hotle Monge in the Latin Quarter.

http://www.parishotels.com/Hotel_Res...e_star_en.html
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 07:50 AM

You may want to try www.laterooms.com. They offer last minute bookings up through July. You deal directly with the hotels too I believe.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 04:26 AM

Another vote for BW Bretagne Montparnasse, it is a 3 star hotel near Montparnasse(very lively area) and rates are pretty low for a 3 star hotel...AC is great for this price!
You can see it on http://www.bwbretagne-montparnasse.com
have a nice trip!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 12:48 AM

very helpful thread. Could anyone tell me what is the website for Hotel Bonaparte in Paris? and do they take online reservations? Thanks in advance
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:10 AM

Bonaparte does not have internet presence, no email, no web. Just call or fax them.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 06:55 AM
ira

Hotel Bonaparte
Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67