5 day Eurail pass - Valid dates

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I take a Eurail 5 day pass with my first travel on 25th July, when will the pass expire.

I plan to do an overnight journey on 30th from Zurich to Venice. Will this fall within the validity of the 5 day pass?
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 12:48 AM

Is this five days within a two-month period or simply five consecutive days? Makes a BIG difference.

As to the overnight: if the train departs <b> after 7 PM</b> and this is <b> the first train trip you have taken on that date </b> then the date of use is entered as the <b> next day</b>.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 03:59 AM
rex

Although you didn't ask this - - since you're new here - - I'm going to tell you anyway:

It's very much worth a few minutes of your time to visit the website www.railsaver.com to see if you should be thinking of buying a &quot;rail pass&quot; in the first place. Be sure and click on the box &quot;only if it saves me money&quot;.

Best wishes,

Rex

p.s. see also http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34639612
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:16 AM

Don't mind Rex, Kram..he thinks everybody should either drive (read his recent trip report..even HE said they did it too fast so what does that tell you?) or fly within Europe.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:36 AM
rex

No, I don't question using trains (though they are often not the right answer for trips of greater than 4-5 hours - - and flying often IS - - see www.whichbudget.com to learn more about this)...

... what I think that newbies need to know is that a &quot;rail pass&quot; is often a poor use of money. Simply buy the &quot;ordinary&quot; (point-to-point) tickets for the routes you wish to travel (especially in Italy, where train travel is very much the bargain, and by far the best way to travel city center to city center on the &quot;trunk route&quot; of the &quot;big three&quot;: Venice-Florence-Rome).
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 06:12 AM
ira

Hi K,

As noted, enter your itinerary at www.railsaver.com to see if you actually need a pass.

If you do, the pass is good for a certain number of days of travel within a specified time period, eg, 5 days of travel in two months.

The two-month clock starts when you have your pass validated for your first train.

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 06:21 AM

I'm a bit confused as I don't know of any regular Eurail passes that are good for 5 days (consecutive). But there are a number of multiple country passes good for 5 days out of a longer period. I'm assuming you are talking about one of those and you've already narrowed down the pass for the fewest number of countries that you need. The same rule applies to those mentioned above. If you have already done another train trip on the day you start that overnight, then it will end up counting as two days against your total of 5. If you haven't been on a train earlier that day, then your overnight trip will count as just one day.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 06:57 AM

The rail pass is usually a good deal if you are doing several overnights.

This is due to the &quot;7 PM Rule&quot; mentioned above, which lumps in an overnight with any travel on the following day, and the simple fact that an overnight point-to-point ticket by itself is likely to cost more than the $60/day or so that the prorated pass is costing you per day.

If you &quot;maxed out&quot; this arrangement, which young people tend to do, you could literally cross the continent, from Paris to Sicily and back, and still have three days left on a five-day pass!