Paris Charles De Gaulle

Old Jun 5th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Charles De Gaulle

Hi we have to catch a flight out of Paris Charles De Gaulle at 8:30 am on a Tuesday in August.
We have a hotel booked at Gare de l'Est (10th district)
What is the best way to get to the airport and how long does it take? I hoping to be at the airport @ 5:30 am. Are any trains running at that hour?

regards

Tcmazz
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 07:25 PM

Has the airline asked you to be at the airport that early? 3 hours is a lot - even for an international flight - and I'm not sure the check-in desks will even be open.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 07:32 PM

Although the general rule is to be at CDG 3 hours before a transatlantic flight, that's just not necessary for an 8:30 am flight.In fact, nothing will be open there until about 6:30.

Have your hotel call Taxi Bleu the night before and book you a taxi. That time of day you should be able to make it to the airport in 45 minutes and pay about 40 euro. Plan to get in the taxi around 6:00 am or a bit after. Should be plenty of time.

This assumes it's a trans-Atlantic flight. If it's an intra-European flight you can spare even more time and plan to get to the airport 1.5 hours ahead of time.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 07:38 PM

Gare de l'Est is within 10 minutes' walk of Gare du Nord, whence the RER can get you to CDG in 30 minutes for 8€.

The first train departs at 4h56 and arrives CDG T2 at 5h30, and about every 15 minutes from 5h58 on.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Sorry yes this is an transatlantic flight coming back home! Robespierre, your suggesting to walk to Gare du Nord at that time of the morning? With luggage in tow and two teens. Would it safe at that time of the morning?

At 8E/ person times 4 = 32E, sounds to me the taxi is the better bet!

So everyone's saying that Charles De Gaulle Airport doesn't open till 6:00am?

regards
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 03:58 AM

Definitely a taxi for 4. The check in desks might open at 6AM, probably not before. Be sure you know which terminal you leave from.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:49 AM

I'm not suggesting anything. You asked if trains run at that hour and how long it takes.

The distance is 800 meters. Street crime is practically nonexistent.

Your call.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 08:35 AM

I had a 7:05 AM flight last week from CDG to Frankfurt, connecting to a transatlantic flight out of Frankfurt. I arranged to be picked up at 4:30 to arrive at CDG by 5:00, assuming that check-in counters would not be operating until then, despite Lufthansa telling me I had to arrive 3 hours ahead of take-off.

When I arrived at 5 AM (agh!), Lufthansa was already checking travelers in, and although I could easily have arrived 30 minutes later with no problem, I was pleased not to have to worry about being late.

Keep in mind that I didn't go through full Europe-to-US security until I got to Frankfurt, where it took another 30 minutes to clear. If you are flying directly to North America from CDG, I'd build another 30 minutes into the schedule. There are a lot of flights that leave about that time in the morning and security can hang you up if there are any problems.

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 08:44 AM

Since I would not walk 10 min. dragging luggage (down any street, whether it be in Paris or at home) I'd opt for a taxi to the airport. At that time of day (morning actually) there should be no traffic. I think you can get to the a/p by 6 a.m. and not worry, 5:30 is a little early.

By the time you factor in walking to the train and then paying the fare for 4 people a taxi (in my opinion) is the way to go.

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 09:27 AM

I do always try to get there 3 hours ahead, but it doesn't make sense that early in the morning, I agree. I think a taxi will cost you more than 40 euro, though, as taxi fares are higher before 7 am.

I'd still take one, and you don't have any choice, really. Even with the night fares, somehow it ends up not being too bad.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 02:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Since it is a US-bound flight, count on quite extensive security. I wouildn't think 5:30 would be absolutely necessary - but definitely don't get to CDG much after 6:00.

I flew out of CDG to DFW/SFO in March and got to CDG really early - about 3.5 hours prior to flight time. Check in was not yet open and we were near the front of the pre-screening (the documents check before you get to the check in desk) line. It took us more than 40 minutes after check in opened to clear and get to the departure lounge. The folks who got there 2 hours early <b>barely</b> made the flight.