Train from Charles de Gaulle

Old Mar 27th, 2017, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train from Charles de Gaulle

First timer to Paris here. What's the best way to get from Charles de Gaulle to Gare l'est? I've seen suggestions to take the train to Gare du Nord and then walk. Paris experts, what do you suggest? Would prefer whichever I can do without changing trains. Thanks!!
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 06:58 AM

You cannot get to Gare de L'Est from CDG without changing trains, so walking may be your best option. Anyway, I suspect you are not going to Gare de L'Est but rather to a hotel near there? Have you considered taking a hotel shuttle directly to your hotel?

If you are actually departing from Gare de L'Est to another destination, perhaps you could begin your train journey directly at CDG.

It's hard to answer your question without all this additional detail. But if you have never been to Paris, then I think a shuttle or taxi is the best way to reach your hotel. It's worth the added expense not to have to worry about the crowds or pick-pockets on that touristy RER route when you're tired from an overnight flight.
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 07:58 AM

Well a car transfer or taxi to Est is the best way and for two people maybe not all that much more - by RER yes to Gare du Nord then walk - the two stations Est and Nord practically touch - you can walk on the main roads but that is longer than a short cut - hard to describe - download a Google map of the area.
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both! Yes, we are actually going to a hotel nearby. We will be coming off an overnight flight so a taxi or car transfer might be best. Any idea on an approximate cost?

Suggestions on the best way to get around the city in general? We only have 48 hours in Paris before hopping the train to Germany.
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 09:13 AM

>>>. Any idea on an approximate cost?

Do you want an approximate cost when you can get an exact cost? For taxi, it is a flat rate 50EU to a right bank destination. You can easily google this info at the airport site:

http://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/passe...paris-cdg-taxi
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 10:22 AM

It will be exactly 50€. No need to tip, though if the driver takes your bags upstairs, you might want to give him a few euros.
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 12:51 PM

Taxi from official queue at the airport; ignore freelance touts.
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 01:34 PM

My daughter and I just got back from Paris. The best way to get around Paris is by bus and metro. Buy a "carnet" of 10 tickets for 14 Euro which you can use for buses and the metro. You can get them at most stations or tabac store. There is a great app for your phone, "RATP", which tells you exactly how to get from spot to spot via bus and metro. Download it! It's awesome - we traveled all over Paris hassle-free. In my opinion, there is no reason to take a taxi and battle traffic as well as pay more.
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 01:35 PM

travelmonkey, the info above is for when you are actually traveling around Paris, not airport transfer. I know you got my tip on airport transfers from my other post.
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 01:43 PM

Central Paris is rather compact -a few square miles has most of the top tourist sights/sites -take the metro to an area and spend the day on foot and by walking between say Louvre/Jeu de Pomme/Orsay Museum and say the Arc de Triomphe you go thru such wonderful places like the Tuileries Gardens- Place de la Concorde -more parks to Champs-Elysees.

No need for an all-encompassing metro/bus/RER pass if into a little hoofing it and as always what you pass between blockbuster sights may be as interesting as the sights themselves- or just stopping by a sidewalk cafe and watch the passing crowd. Don't overload sightseeing schedule as many are want to do and have every second planned out IMO.
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 06:32 PM

If you are going to be in Paris for only 48 hours, then a single carnet will likely be sufficient for the two of you. Then buy additional individual tickets if you need them.
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 06:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Most people do indeed walk from Gare du Nord to the Gare de l'Est area. Better yet, it is even downhill slightly.
Old Mar 27th, 2017, 09:55 PM

Yes. More velibs on garre de l'Est than on gare du Nord, I'm a regular commuter between these two stations...

If you are alone and or on a budget get RER B CDG Gare du Nord, easy and cheap (12 € something I think).

Pay attention in the RER B, there are frequently pickpockets who take advantage of jet lagged careless travelers.