Oxford restaurant - hopefully French

Mar 30th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Oxford restaurant - hopefully French

I'm thinking of a nice meal out for my birthday. About 10 people, and I'm interested in a set menu.

I'm thinking either Pierre Victoire or Le Petit Blanc. Can anyone comment on these restaurants, or another place I should consider? I'm interested in French, just because I haven't had that in a while.
Mar 31st, 2007, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Mar 31st, 2007, 06:37 AM

Both excellent. Pierre Victoire is more homely, certainly cheaper, with a sort of 'French café' feel. Le Petit Blanc (down market sibling of the famous Raymond Blanc Michelin feted restaurant outside Oxford) is more studied, more stylish, a bit more formal perhaps, and pricier. Main courses there about fifteen UK pounds (but extra for side orders).
Nicky
www.hiddeneurope.co.uk
Mar 31st, 2007, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. How recently have you visited those places? I've read a few reviews which seem to suggest both having gone a little downhill of late.
Apr 13th, 2007, 07:47 PM

We ate at Le Petit Blanc two years ago and loved it.
Apr 13th, 2007, 09:04 PM

Can't comment on Le Petit Blanc but have found Pierre Victoire very consistent over the past ten years or so. Last ate there August/Sept.2006
Apr 14th, 2007, 05:05 AM

I've eaten at both a number of times, but not in the last couple of years.

I've never had a bad meal at either, but given the choice I'd go for Pierre Victoire because my experience is that it's better value and more reliable. But Le Petit Blanc has a more upmarket atmosphere if that's a factor.

My favourite Oxford restaurants are either Bangkok House (fantastic Thai food) or Loch Fyne (seafood) - assuming both are still there as I haven't been to Oxford very recently!
Apr 14th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I think I just need to go down there myself and compare atmosphere, menu, prices etc. The choice may already be made since I really only have a month left until the proposed dinner. If one is booked already, that obviously makes things easier.

I love Bangkok House and just went there a month or so ago for my first time. I'd like to try Loch Fyne as I love seafood, but unfortunately many of my friends don't, so I don't think it would be the best choice.
Apr 14th, 2007, 06:11 AM

No, Loch Fyne is definitely not a place to take guests who don't like seafood!

As you've been to Oxford recently I guess you've seen how they've redone the castle complex? If by any chance you missed it, it's a really nice setting for pre or post-dinner drinks; there are a couple of bars with seating looking over the castle courtyard.
Apr 14th, 2007, 06:49 AM

You might ask acquaintances about the Lemon Tree, in Woodstock Rd. Over the past decade it's had all sorts of ups and downs (try googling Michael Winner's dreadful review of an experience there around the year 2000, about four sets of management ago). But in the past five years or so I've had one outstanding meal, a couple of OKish ones and certainly no bad experiences.

Alternatively, Gees consistently serves decent grub.

I've not had a really satisfactory experience in any of the chain restaurants. That includes the Brasserie Blanc (formerly the Petit Blanc), which is now just another fascia in the Loch Fyne group.
Apr 14th, 2007, 07:23 AM

We had a lovely meal at Loch Fyne last month. My daughter is not a fan of seafood and there were choices for her (but of course seafood was the star of the show.)
Apr 14th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I've heard a bit about the Lemon Tree, and I'll look it up. I do like the Castle Complex, but I had dinner in of the restaurants there and while the food was good, the value was poor and the service was awful.

I may have my parents take me to Loch Fyne ... they are visiting the following week after my birthday.

Search this Thread