Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for Day Trips from London

Apr 10th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi. I'll be in London on business the last week of April and my mother has decided to join me.

I'll spend the weekend with her in London and then we will be in Richmond-upon-Thames for the business week.

I'm looking for recommendations for day trips from Richmond and what to see in Richmond. My mom is in her mid 60s, loves history, gardening, quilting, and Disneyland. She is very comfortable getting around on her own by train.

Ideas?

Has anyone stayed at the Richmond Hill Hotel?
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:24 PM

W/ your mom's interests I'd say 4 musts would be Hampton Court Palace, Kew Gardens, Windsor Castle and RHS Wisley. The first three are easy by public transport - bu I'll have to look up getting to Wisley.

If you will have a car, then Wisley wouldn't be a problem. (Kew is wonderful, but Wisley is even better)
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:26 PM

This page http://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/wisley/wisleyreach.asp has all the transport options to Wisley.
Apr 11th, 2007, 01:20 AM

Bushey Park is wonderful - it's full of deer and is nearby where you're staying. It's not a destination for sa day, but if you're looking for somewhere for a picnic; bob's your uncle.
Apr 11th, 2007, 01:24 AM

There is a tip-top local theatre in Richmond - the Oranage Tree. It would be worth seeing what they have on when you're here.

http://www.orangetreetheatre.co.uk/

Or you could just go and get plastered with the rugger-buggers in the Sun.

Apr 11th, 2007, 06:04 AM

Hampton Court Palace for sure! It's a magical place. It's one of the only palaces that I visited where I really could "feel" the history (corny but true!). Probably helped that we were there on a dismal, rainy day and we had the palace almost entirely to ourselves. It was one of my very favorite day trips despite the weather. The gardens there are lovely and the hedge maze is a bunch of fun! There are also some amazing tapestries there that I bet your mom would love!
Apr 11th, 2007, 08:48 AM

Ham House is another beautiful site near Richmond, a fine Stuart House and restored 17th century gardens on river Thames, s short busride (#65 or #371) from Richmond Station.

To RHS Wisley (a must for garden lovers), another option is taking bus (#65 or #371) from Richmond to Kingston, change bus #515 (not including in London Transport, better buy a daypass for unlimited rides from bus driver, about 6 pounds).

There are 3 most interesting sites on this bus route: Claremont Landscape Garden- 18th century by Capability Brown, once said to be "The Norblest in Europe",the view on top of the hill is as lovely as any traditional English landscape park could be. The next is Painshill Park (about 5 minutes bus from Claremont), lovely 18th century house and gardens. Another 5 minutes will take your mother to Wisley-the azaleas and Rhododendrons shall be in full bloom in late April.

All these site offer lovely lunch and afternoon tea, it is a very pleasant way to spend a day.

BTW, bus ticket holders get discount for entrance fee.
Apr 14th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! I'm printing out your recommendations and making a plan for my mom.

I'll let you know what she enjoyed.
Apr 14th, 2007, 07:13 AM

I am not sure about connections directly from Richmond, but Oxford is a great day trip from London
Apr 14th, 2007, 07:55 AM

Many of the Oxford college gardens are lovely (just visited one today) and of course there is lots of good history. The Botanical Gardens are excellent.

I'd recommend going back to London and taking the bus (either Oxford Tube or Oxford Espress) to Oxford.