Day Trips from London

Search

Day Trips from London

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2006, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trips from London

I'm planning a trip to London for early next year. I've pretty much figured out what I want to see within the main part of the city but I'm having trouble with the day trips. I really want to see Windsor Castle and Leeds Castle. If I take my time at each place, are they full day trips or can I see everything comfortably and still get back in the afternoon? What is the best way to get there? I obviously wouldn't be seeing them in the same trip. Thanks.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 04:22 AM

Windsor Castle is not far from London. In fact, it's right near Heathrow airport. The town itself has a lot of charm and the famous school, Eton, is across the bridge nearby. Many people stop there on the same day.

One idea to consider is to spend your last day/night in Windsor if flying home from Heathrow. There are some nice b & bs and hotels and decent pubs/restaurants there and Heathrow is just down the road.

You could also make it a day trip. If you wanted to rush it as a half day, you probably could. Here's an older thread on getting there.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34767261

Here's details from their website
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/de...=34#-Openhours

I've never been to Leeds Castle, but other folks here don't necessarily think it's worth the trip. Read this from exactly a year ago
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34587722

But perhaps my favorite curmudgeon on the board, flanneruk, put it more succinctly when he wrote:

"...Leeds Castle is pretty, widely used for sales conferences (get yourself invited to one and you can stay overnight, possibly even in a room overl0oking the moat and decorated with real Impressionist paintings), extensively "restored" (ie mangled) and of zero historical interest, notwithstanding the gibberish its promoters churn out..."
on this thread
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34577388

If you want another trip out of London that's not too far, Hampton Court is very nice, although when you say early next year, Jan/Feb is a bit chilly for these kinds of visits. Just a heads up.

If you're traveling alone and would prefer to go with a group, London Walks is very well regarded http://www.walks.com/
and does "explorer days" outside London that are generally good value and well organized.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 09:12 AM

Greetings: I'm planning a trip to London in May. I received an insider tip that if you've experienced Stonehenge and Windsor (which I have) that Bath was a MUST. So that has been added to my itinerary. Hope this helps!
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 11:54 AM

I went to London last December and during the trip we went to Windsor Castle for 4 hours. I found this to be plenty of time to see what I wanted, and I still had time to spare afterward for the Gift Shop. There are also vendors along the path to the entrance which I also had time to look at. In other words, yes, you will have plenty of time to see them and then be back in London by afternoon.
Regards,
Patrick
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 02:06 PM
jay

How long do you have? You could also do Hampton Court and kew Gardens. I would say that is a day trip in itself also.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 05:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Leeds Castle is lovely - from the outside. But inside it really isn't much to write home about. There are many better castles - and better gardens/grounds for that matter. But "early next year" would seem to indicate winter time. So w/o the pretty gardens Leeds doesn't really make much sense. If one was staying a week down in Kent in the Summer, then visiting Leeds is a fine idea. But for a day trip during a short London vacation - in winter - I'd go elsewhere.

Windsor is a wonderful day trip. if you have the time I'd consider Hamptom Court Palace for one day trip and Windsor as a second one.

Old Mar 19th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Original Poster

You guys have been very helpful. I'm not quite sure how much time I will have. I am hoping for 10 days, which will include 2 days travel but I may only have 7.

A lot of your comments made me lean more towards not going to Leeds Castle. I was looking at the Hampton one and it looked very interesting. I did want to see Bath but I don't think it will fit into my schedule. Although, I'm sure after one trip I will be back again! What is the best way to get to Windsor and Hampton Court?

A couple of you mentioned Kew Gardens. I'm not familiar with it but if I am there in January is there going to be anything to see?
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 02:54 AM

The very first link I gave you describes getting to Windsor. But from the Windsor website it says

<i>By train: To Windsor from London Waterloo or London Paddington. (National Rail Enquiries Service 08457 484950 (UK)).

By coach: Green Line operates daily services from Victoria Coach Station, London.

Tour companies operate excursions to Windsor Castle from many London hotels. </i>

You can also get to Hampton Court by train. There's a boat along the Thames, but I don't think it runs in January.

I don't think Kew Gardens is worth a trip in Jan.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 03:24 AM

I agree about Kew, though it's worth remarking that if you're interested in plants it does have huge and glorious greenhouses for warm-climate plants.

www.kewgardens.org will tell you what's worth seeing at any given time. But I wouldn't go out of my way to get there in January.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 10:47 AM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Oxford. Only an hour from London, some great buildings, lots of history and terrific pubs. Like everywhere, though, better in the summer when a punting (or poling)trip on the river is essential.

Forget Stonehenge - too far and not that much to see. Hampton Court also easy to get to and interesting. The best of England is out of London so your next trip to UK should be to the Lake District........
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Hatfield House is a very easy trip from London --25 minutes by train to Hatfield and the house is a very short walk from the station. I don't know how early in the year you're going. It's open from Easter until late Sept. (If you go anywhere in winter be careful to check open times, as many stately homes do close down for a time in the off-season).

Hatfield House is very interesting. The property has associations with Elizabeth 1 -- it was originally the site of the Royal Palace of Hatfield and she spent much of her youth there. This is where she learned Mary Tudor had died and she was queen. Only one wing of the Old Palace remains. But the main house was built in 1611 by Robert Cecil and there are many fine paintings, tapestries, and furnishings.
Check the website: http://www.hatfield-house.co.uk/
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 02:30 PM

Greenwich is another interesting day trip, as you can sail up the River Thames to your destination, which is a most pleasant time. Then you take a shttle bus up to the great observatory, tour, and then also can walk down the hillside to see other sites as well as the delightful little village. All of this is most informative historically, and a delightful experience.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Original Poster

Stonehenge to me is just about the novelty of saying you've been. You see it on and in so many things that I just think it would be a really neat thing to see up close.

Thanks for the tip on getting ton Windsor. I think the train sounds like a more pleasant way to get there rather than bus.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

Wasn't quite done with my last reply! =) I'm sure that after this trip I'll want to go back and I'm hoping then I'll be able to afford more time and get out of London. This will be my first time there and I know I'll just be thrilled with exploring London alone.