Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Excellent restaurant in Oxford city center?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2007, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone got any recommendations for a very good restaurant in the center of Oxford?

Thanks in advance
Karl
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:34 AM

In a word, no.

There are a number of pleasant restaurants in the centre. But none can possibly be called excellent. The ONLY restaurant within 15 miles that comes close to qualifying is Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons. And the quickest to get to are at the other end of the railway line to London.

If you have a more specific need (like charming place to have a pleasant meal before punting), come back and we'll all have suggestions.

But unless something miraculous has happened in the past 36 hours, anyone who claims they've found excellence in the OX1 postcode is talking through their hat.
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:24 AM

There are some good restaurants here, but I've not had my best meal ever in Oxford. If you post your budget and type of cuisine you like, we can offer suggestions.
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
yes - we need budget and cuisiine etc. And what do you mean by "very good"? A super special night out w/ a memorable meal - flanneruk has it nailed. But just a nice meal - tell us what you want and we can hook you up.
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:51 AM

The restaurant at the Randolph hotel used to be fabulous.
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:36 PM

Flanneruk, JoeTro and janisj are correct. There are no 'excellent' restaurants in Oxford. Even the Randolpf does not fit into this catergory, although it used to be better than it is now.

There are some decent and some may argue even good places to dine, just nothing in the superior range.

Give us some more information.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

I'll rephrase that then

The best restaurant in the center of Oxford?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:48 AM

What is your budget, and what kind of food do you like?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:59 PM

Oxford's basic problems (its disgracefully-paid academic staff can't afford decent restaurants, its college halls provide an enormous amount of elaborate food for many purposes and caterers provide for many others, you can't keep staff and it's got fabulous transport links to central London) make its centre the crap chain capital of Britain. They also mean today's reviews can hardly be relied on tomorrow.

You might try browsing the diners' comments accessible from the "read more" links at www.dailyinfo.co.uk/venues/restaurants, which will be more up to date than anything we'll ever post

Assuming from words like "excellent" you're looking for a slightly formal place for relatively leisurely eating, the two most reliable places are a bit outside the historic centre.

Gee's in Banbury Rd (easily walkable from Carfax) has almost unfailingly been serving us - and most of North Oxford - competently for (God, is it really that long?) nigh on a quarter of a century. The Cherwell Boathouse in Bardwell Rd (meaning a walk that'll get rid of the calories) has been serving me intermittently good food for forty years: current reports are that it's going through one of its OK phases, but round here that doesn't always mean a lot and it'll be interesting to hear from anyone who's been there lately.

In the historic centre: For an odd take on Oxford charm, the Shanghai30s in St Aldate's serves not terribly good Shanghainese food, but has the best view (over the buttresses of Christ Church cathedral) of any Oxford eatery.

The two places most often cited in the centre (the Randolph and Quod) aren't getting good comments at present.

If formality isn't that important, the most reliable place to eat is probably Al Shami, a Lebanese place devoted to abundance of fresh food, in Walton Crescent. Where do I eat? Edamame in Holywell St, or an un-named noodle bar a few doors up George St from iits junction with Worcester St.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:14 PM

OMG - the Cherwell Boathouse... Haven't thought of them for years! Used to eat there (or rent a punt) 3 or 4 times every summer. But its been at least 30 years since I've been. (Obviously can't give a current review) Maybe JoeTro should volunteer to do a visit/report .

But anyway - if they are in a "good spell" that would be a wonderful place for a meal.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:22 AM

(off topic) JoeTro: You happen to know a certain "Carmichael Dave"?
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:45 AM

I haven't eaten in Oxford for years, but in 2007 edition of Good Food Guide, the highest rating for food goes to Lemon Tree www.thelemontreeoxford.co.uk with a 3 (competent to good cooking). It serves Mediterranean food, with freshest ingredients and bright & breezy service. Around £30-£40 a head. Most other places already mentioned, including Al-Shami, Cherwell Boathouse, Edamame, Gee's, are rated 1-2. Others listed include Branca, Brasserie Blanc, Chiang Mai, Fishers, Liaison and Sojo - mostly informal places.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:25 AM

But the Lemon Tree's not in central Oxford, and is WAY beyond walking.

It's located for easy parking from the ring road. Handy and useful driving back to the Cotswolds after a drinks party in London or Oxford - but hardly worth the detour from the centre. And VERY inconsistent.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:38 AM

Well, we had a very good meal at The lemon Tree and it's an easy taxi ride from the centre.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:45 PM

Janisj, I don't know the person you've mentioned. Sorry. And I've actually not had a meal at the Cherwell Boathouse.

I love Edamame as it is right across from my college, so that's a popular bet. I had a nice and good value lunch at Pierre Victorie in Jericho the other day. I'm having a birthday meal tomorrow at Brasserie Blanc, so I can report on that.

To be honest, I'm not a major foodie. I've had good meals at Bankok House and chains like Ask or Pizza Express.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:01 PM

Oh - but it is a small world so I thought it was a possibility.

A friend (acquaintance really) from Sacramento was talking about someone w/ a joe/tro screen/radio name