Search

Ostia Antica

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ostia Antica

Trying to figure out the best way to visit with my children. The main site is in italian. Is it open sunday? How do you get there by boat? Do I need a guide?
aNY information would be appreciated.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 02:57 AM

It is open on Sundays. When we were there in early March the museum was closed Sunday afternoon
You can get there by train from Porta San Paolo station (near Pyramide Metro stop)

I don't think you need a guide. You do need a good guide book as there is very little information on the map you get at the entrance or signs along the way. (Unfortunately the bookstore is quite far into the excavation site, near the cafeteria)

The boat co that goes there is Battelli di Roma from Ponte Marconi

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...;feature=30015
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 04:56 AM

It is open on Sundays but closed on Mondays. It is very easy to get there via train: take Metro A to Pyramide stop, follow the signs to the Lido train (I seem to recall it's off to the right, but it's been 3.5 years), and then take the train to Ostia Antica stop. It's a short walk (across the bridge over the highway) from there. I agree that you need some form of guidance as I recall the markings were minimal. Rick Steves has a tour posted on his site at ttp://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/italy/ostia.htm that we used and felt was pretty good. (I'm going back in Nov and plan to delve a bit deeper.)

Paul
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 05:19 AM

Just be careful about the boat schedule...we went to the tourist office, got the boat schedule (had it in our hands) and showed up at the Ponte Marconi at the appointed hour....it was deserted and no boat showed up.

It was late in the season, and I am told it does not run on all the days it is published. Get a phone number and call ahead to make sure.

But it was a real highlight, and an incredible look back upon a large Roman port city. But avoid going in the rain. When the sun shines, it is lovely to imagine how it once hummed with activity. The museum has some amazing sculpted pieces which adorned the buildings and squares.

The Foro Italico in central Rome is nice, but for an outing with the children, read a little ahead and it's a great half-day or full day activity.

Ciao, Rouss
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 05:24 AM

I also am trying to figure something out. We intend to catch a train from Naples to Rome but have now 2 extra free days. Were thinking about stopping along the train route. Is Ostio Antica on this line or must we go via Rome anyway.
looks like a good place to stop before the hectic pace of our Rome to Milan guided tour.
HELP needed.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 06:09 AM

sweetpdeb,

Ostia Antica isn't along the way from Naples. In fact your Naples train will probably arrive at a different train station (Roma Termini) than the one you must depart from for Ostia Antica. Why not add the extra days to Rome and break up your anticipated hectic visit with a daytrip to Ostia?