Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have 3pm Reservations For Borghese..Is It Possible To See All Of Ostia Antica In The Morning

Search

Have 3pm Reservations For Borghese..Is It Possible To See All Of Ostia Antica In The Morning

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everybody,

I would appreciate your opinions please.

I have 3pm reservations for the Borghese Gallery and was wondering if it would be doable to go to Ostia Antica in the morning and see everything without rushing through it and still make it back by 2:30 to pick up my reservations?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 09:02 AM

If you're there when the site opens (9 am, I believe), you might be ok. It's a big site, so you won't have time to see all of it, but you can see the highlights and the archaeological museum. There is a cafeteria on-site to grab a quick lunch too.
The fastest way to get there and back is via subway/train, by the way. You'll have two changes on the way back (from train line to Metro Line B at Pirimide station, then a change at Termini to Metro Line A, get off at Spagna) plus you have to get from Spagna stazione to the galleria, so allow yourself time for all of that.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

DejaVu,

Thank you. Could I save some time by taking a taxi from Termini? Do you know how much a taxi from Termini to the Gallery would cost?

Tom
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 09:58 AM

Sorry, I can't help on cost. The only time I take taxis in Rome is from Termini to hotel and back with luggage; otherwise it's metro, bus, or feet. Less than ten bucks, I should think. (Anybody else know?) It might be faster to take taxi from Termini; in fact, I think that would work well. Train from Ostia Antica to Ostiense station (which is attached to Pirimide station--I seem to remember about 30 mins from site to the Ostiense/Pirimide station), transfer at Pirimide to Metro Line B, take that to Termini, then get a taxi.
You do NOT want the bus. Rome buses are convenient in their routes but they aren't a fast option.
Here's a tip: the train that goes to Ostia Antica uses the same ticket as regular Rome city transport. So you can travel the whole metro/train route on one ticket, no need to buy a separate one at Ostiense station. (Technically two tickets, one to go and one to come back.)
When you get off at the Ostia Antica train stop, it's about a 10 min walk to the site. There are signs, and there might be school groups to follow.
Have fun! I love Ostia Antica. I spent a whole day going nice and slow through the site on my last Rome trip, last year. The museum bookshops in Rome all carry the Ostia site guide, which is nice (about 6 euro). I bought mine the night before and studied before I went to the site. (Which turned out well because the ticket booth at Ostia was out!) The Blue Guide Rome has a good Ostia section in it too.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 10:44 AM
jay

Get there early and take the metro, train or whatever it is called. The Station is near the park that abuts the borghese. It is about a 20 min. walk I think. We were good for about 3-4 hrs at Ostia and then got a little bored. There is sooooo much to see.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 11:06 AM

We spent a happy four hours there. It's wonderful. If you get there when it opens you should have enough time to see it and get back for your 3 pm reservation, no problem.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 03:00 PM

Tom, I'd take the train back to Termini and then grab a cab.

We ended a morning somewhere close to the Forum and took a quick bus ride to Termini to catch the subway - (we were with a native of Rome - we were just following along!) After the subway ride we had to wait for a bus - which was late - and so he decided to get on another bus which he thought would be close enough and then walk the rest of the way. Well, we were running - we were late, but we still got in (Borghese) and then afterwards he was going in another direction and told us to take the bus,train, and bus back to our hotel.

We waited until he was gone and walked out and got a taxi - asked how much he would charge to our hotel and scooted right on back. Money WELL spent!

Be sure you ask ahead of time what the price will be - most will give you a price and then you don't have to worry about the fare.

Good luck!

Carol
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 07:12 PM

Remember to allow enough time to arrive 30 minutes before your Borghese reservation time. I almost forgot that little detail and ended up sprinting all the way down Via Veneto and through the gardens.
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank all of you for your input.

I would really love to see both and do them both justice. Guess its time to once again tweak my itinerary(actually I do this daily LOL).

Just 33 more days, not that I'm counting, until I leave for my first trip to Italy.

Thanks again,

Tom
Old Sep 9th, 2005, 09:52 PM

Just wanted to say hello Tom...I know you are counting the days, LOL. Not long now is it? You are in my thoughts! Take care.