transportation to Ostia Antiqua

Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transportation to Ostia Antiqua

Hi again!
When we are in Rome, we are staying in an apt. in Trastevere. What is the most convenient transportation to Ostia Antiqua. I know there is a train (which station?), but I also heard something about a boat trip down the Tiber. Also, any idea about the cost?
Thanks as always!
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 07:07 PM

Its definitely alot cheaper to just take the suburban train out there-about 20 minutes from Termini station.At the moment I cannot think of the line but its very frequent-about every 15 minutes I believe when we went last January.There is VERY limited eating out there so be prepared. The place has a small restaurant that was decent but there is also a restaurant on the way from your stop on the right that looked cute but was not open when we were there.(For some reason, I keep thinking that we took the metro out there?)I am leaving tomorrow for Frankfort so I have to get packing but will look into it when I get back this week.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 10:02 PM

prr761,
From Trastevere take bus 271 to Ostiense station then take the train to Ostia Antica.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 03:01 AM

Can't speak for the boat, but the train is easy. The boat sounds kind of fun as well though. I'm not sure where they'd drop you off but the walk from the train is easy.

If you take the train and walk, you will cross a bridge and then walk down a street that kind of dead ends into a restaraunt (never have seen it open). Walk around to the front of this place and you'll discover that they keep two miniature ponies in their courtyard.

One was there when we first went in 2003 and we were surprised to see that same one (we took pix) with a a friend in 2005. Just one of those memorable things.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 03:05 AM

If you love churches you should stop and see St. Paul Outside the Walls. It's on the train line between Rome and Ostia Antica (from Ostiense station, as Henry recommends) and only a 5 minute walk from the station. If I remember correctly you can break the journey for 1.5 hours and still use the same ticket. Well worth the detour.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 04:17 AM

Directions: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34619236
Regards, Walter
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi!
Thanks for the replies. I also checked ParadiseLost thread and that is great information. Looks like with the low cost for the train, it would be a good way to go. I have been to St. Paul Outside the Walls. Such a beautiful basilica! Since it is on the "path", we'd think of seeing it again..
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:46 AM

My children and I took the boat trip from Rome to Ostia Antica in March...very cold trip as well as not at all scenic at that time of year. In addition it was time consuming; several hours if I remember. Took the train back to Rome. Train is the way to go!
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 07:26 AM

If you buy one of the multi day subway passes I believe the train ride to Ostia is included. That was what we did and why we did it actually.