The Ossuary in Kutna Hora

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of taking the train to Kutna Hora from Prague. How far away from the train station is the Ossuary? It is close by or a bus-ride away? Thanks.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 11:26 AM

The Ossuary is actually in a suburb called Sedlec. I believe there is a train station stop for "Kutna Hora Sedlec".

Can't remember the distance between the train station and the ossuary, didn't seem far.

However, if you are going all the way to Kutna Hora, there's a lot more to see than just the ossuary.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 06:05 PM

You can Google Kutna Hora and there will be a lot of info on it online.

We may go there the end of this month. If I remember correctly from reading about it, it is within walking distance of the train station. May be up hill a bit.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 05:29 AM

The Ossuary is an easy 25 minute walk from the railway station, there is a map just outside the station so you should not get lost. you can buy a combined ticket to the Ossuary and the Cathedral which is about 200 metres away. We were there in August and the Cathedral was undergoing interior restoration so it was not looking its best. It may be finished by now. From there you can take a bus into Kutna Hora. Enjoy yourselves.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Tellyman the train goes to Sedlec or Kutna Hora? 25 minute walk - we are mid 60s - how strenuous a walk is it? Hills? Thanks.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 04:29 AM

The train stopped at Sedlec, it was a fairly flat walk to the Ossuary but I think there may have been a bus stop at the station if you prefer not to walk. There are one or two bars/cafes by the Ossuary if you needed to sit down for a rest.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 05:28 AM

I highly recommend Hotel Ruze for lunch, it's just next to the Ossuary. Wonderful food.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM

Yes, I seem to remember something about a bus stop in Sedlec to the area of the Ossuary. It is such a popular place, there must be an easy way. I was on a tour bus, so I can't help with the details.Sorry! There IS a great restaurant next to it (in a hotel) - the Ruze, I guess, as someone else said.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 09:32 PM

Yes,we stayed in the hotel Ruze and the food was good!

Two foodie things i went gaga over in the Czech Republic - fresh trout and beer.

Oh, a third thing - pig's knee
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 05:44 AM

I have visted Kutna Hora twice from Prague.Take the train from Hlavni Nadrazni (main train station ) to Kutna Hora,the main station is about 3 kilometer outside the town but it is close to Sedlac.You can take a local train from there in to Kutna Hora itself.
To get to the Bone Church from the Kutna Hora train station it is about a 10 minute walk (900 meters).Turn right outside the station and walk to the main road(you have to turn left on to it).
Walk along this road ,you will pass a cigarette factory (Philip Morris i think).Once you come to a main crossroads you will have a large church on your left hand side ,take the road to the right and you will see the Bone Church about 150 meters up this road.
to get to Kutna Hora town just walk back to the juction and either walk the 2 kilometers into town,go back to the station and get the local train or get a local bus or taxi.
there are (or were) some yellow markings on the pavements giving the direction and distance into town.
The highlight of my last trip ther was a visit to the Italian court building which I can highly recommend.