Search

Oberammergau Passion Play Theatre Distance to Train Station

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oberammergau Passion Play Theatre Distance to Train Station

Hello

We will be travelling to Oberammergau in July 2010 to attend the Passion Play. We do not have accomodations in town but instead in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. The last train that night is schedule out at 10:40 pm and the play looks like it lets out at 10:30. The question I have is how far is the train station from the passion play theatre distance wise. We may have to cut out a bit early depending on this as we need to make the last train.

Thanks.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 06:05 PM

I do not know the location of the play, but the tiny train station is a little bit away from the town.(not far) You have to walk across a bridge and then a few feet into town. I would check my time from the station when you arrive and again at the arrival of the play. Then I would add a few minutes to that just to be sure. i don't know about taxis in the event you missed that last train, but it would be expensive.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 11:18 AM

It's less than 1/2 kilometer or around 1/4 mile.
You can download a village map with the location of the station and the passion play theater here:
http://www.passionsspiele2010.de/fil...erammergau.pdf
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 10:07 AM

I have taken a taxi from Garmisch to Oberammergau but not the other way around. The train station does seem like its about a 1/4 of a mile from the Play house to the train station. You can't miss it. At www.oberammergau.de there is a way to contact the local Oberammergau information, maybe they can tell you if there are some special arrangements going on at the time. I will be in Oberammergau in less than two weeks. If I see any special advertisements about travel during that time, I can let you know! I am going into the local travel bureau to see if I want to take any day trips, I will try to remember to ask about it when I go in!
Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 10:17 AM

T
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice. Will check things out on the way into town from a timing perspective and then play it by ear as to when we might need to leave.
Old May 28th, 2010, 05:26 AM

Hi memjewels . . . we just returned from Oberammergau and are glad to provide the following first-hand information. Walking at an average pace, you should be able to cover the theatre-train depot route in 10 minutes. BUT and a BUT, a 10:40 p.m. departure does not appear do-able in our opinion. First, the evening session we attended did not end until close to 10:45 p.m. Also, the theatre is enormous which means that, unless your seats are at one of the exits, it will take you quite a bit of time and cause substantial disruption to your neigbhors leaving the theatre early. The final resurrection scene is very moving, and it would be a shame if you (and perhaps your neighbors) will not be able to enjoy it as intended. That said, the whole village is geared to facilitating theatre-goers so it is possible that a later train to G-P may be scheduled for folks like you. One other suggestion based on our own experience . . . the original lodging we bought as part of our package was outside of the village and, like you, we were concerned with post-play transportation hassles. To avoid them, we decided to book a room at added cost in a village hotel (lovely Hotel Turmwirt) and were able to stroll to and from the theatre leisurely. Last-minute deals are readily available because we had heard that 100,000 pre-booked tickets had been cancelled due to the economy, the ash cloud, etc. Good luck in your planning, and do enjoy Oberammergau. We had a brilliant time!!!