Search

Engadine Pros!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engadine Pros!

Well, its finally happening-back to Switzerland...this time to include a first to Pontresina with hikes about the Engadine!
Leaving May 31-June 12.

Traveling with a high school friend. She is celebrating beating Hodgkins, and I am anticipating lung surgery in fall 2011, not sure of hiking ability afterwards.
We have both travelled to Switz, Germany before independently and with Untours(myself 7 trips). I can do decent German, but know no Romansch.
Our FIXED itinerary, given much thought:
Brienz 2 nights - Love this town, stayed there 10 days by myself in 2003 in a Fewo.
Know the area well and have side trips pencilled in already.
Chur 2 nights - any recommended MUST -SEES in immediate area?
We will really be there a day and a half + two nights.

Pontresina 5 nights -Fewo still to be selected--Any suggestions walkable to RR and <700 CHF for 5 days?
Zurich 2 nights- have always been THRU, never investigated the city itself.

MY Questions:
Is Alp Languard lift open at this time?
The site states closing Feb 28- is this for major renovations and not to reopen until Fall?
More info on the bus trip to Soglio--a MUST DO, thanks to Wrenwood.
Any other absolute must sees/hikes in the area and why?
My reseach comes up with about 15 more places/walk and I must narrow it down!
Looking forward to your expert advice!
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Any help with the above questions would be most appreciated!?
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 07:39 AM

I can't help much, but I have done the bus to Soglio. I trained from Chur to St. Moritz, then you will need to change to the bus that will be waiting at the train station. Then you will connect to another bus in Promontogno. All of this was very easy, even with luggage. The bus ride itself is worth the time. We went through villages with such narrow streets that it seemed impossible to navigate the big bus. The views are breathtaking! And Soglio itself is a village unlike any that I have seen. It feels as if you have traveled back in time. This day trip is well worth it! I can't wait to do it again. Although the last trip in September 2009, I stayed overnight at the Palazzo Salis. It is a wonderful old palace converted into a hotel decorated with antoiques. I love it.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 09:59 AM

Regarding the excursion to Soglio: You take bus No. 2 from Pontresina to Silvaplana Posta where you change to the bus direction Castasegna (or Chiavenna). Another change in Promontogno. As scatcat said, very easy.

Alp Languard chair-lift opens 5 June, Diavolezza cable car will be open while you're there.

Fewos are rented out for one week in general but you might be lucky with 5 nights since it's shoulder season. I have not stayed in a rental apartment/Fewo in Pontresina yet but I am sure you'll find some on the official Engadin website. Just make sure the apartment is located right in town, which is uphill from the train station. And since Pontresina stretches over a few miles make sure you're in the central section (not in the Muragl/western section e.g.). Maybe you should seriously check out hotels - for stays of 2 and more nights most hotels offer "cable cars and public transportation included" which saves a lot of money.

With five nights in the Engadin you'll have four full days, one of them is reserved for Soglio. That leaves three days. One of them you *must* do the Bernina train ride to Poschiavo and back, try to squeeze in the Diavolezza cable car excursion. I am not sure if the horse-drawn carriages to Roseg Valley (from Pontresina) or Fex Valley (from Sils-Maria) are already in operation in early June - both highly recommended, do one of them if possible. On the remaining day you might want to take the Alp Languard chair-lift and enjoy the views up there (afternoon preferred) and explore Pontresina a bit. Maybe take the bus to Samedan or Celerina (or train to Zuoz) to see an authentic Engadine village/architecture or do some window shopping in St. Moritz (coffee stop at Hanselmann, museums).

Chur itself will keep you busy for a day with its sights. Cathedral, St. Luzi (above the cathedral, amazing ring crypt), museums etc. With only one full day you won't have time for more activities.
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 10:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure of the rate, but the Hotel Steinbock in Pontresina is on the main street of town and is clean, charming, and part of a larger 4 star hotel. There is a nice bakery/cafe across the street for coffee and breakfast if you opt out of meal plans.

To echo above suggestions, I love the walk from Sils Maria to Fex... gorgeous... and a wonderful relaxing day is the Bernina Express from Pontresina. Bring some wine and cheese and chocolate aboard.

There is a lovely, flat walk from Pontresina "towards the glacier" with a pretty restaurant and train back if you choose...the Bernina Express follows this route...

Enjoy and best wishes for good health to you and your friend.

gruezi
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 10:47 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We enjoyed our stay at La Collina in Pontresina. They also have another building that is less expensive,Residenz Soldanella.
Old Mar 7th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!
I will do my homework this week and look into these options.
After I look through all my (previously collected) notes, I'll be back with several more questions, I'm sure!
The excitement is building!
m
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

I guess my actual question was not about Alp Languard, but Standseilbahn Muottas Muragl.
It closed Feb 28th and no mention about reopening.
We had hoped to hike from the Bergstation across to Alp Languard .
Does this look possible?
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 12:00 PM

Muottas Muragl opens 12 June. Sorry.
Old May 27th, 2010, 02:14 PM

Mokka4, just happened upon your post. It looks like you leave in a few days, have a GREAT trip!

Please let us know about your hikes and if you fall in love with Soglio.

I have a feeling we are going back there in August
Old May 28th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

wren, nice to hear from you!
I leave in 72 hrs and am starting to get a bit anxious (you know, the travel is the worst part).
I'm praying for good weather!
We have such nice hikes planned for 6 out of the 12 days after scouring through everyone's advice and trip reports (your included-thanks!)
Will post after return...
Rach