Train Station at Chuisi Scalo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One final detail (I hope) before taking off next Saturday! I'm picking up my rental car at the Chuisi Scalo office and can't seem to find a train station to that location. There is one on the Trenitalia site for Chuisi-Chiancio Terme, but I think that's a bit far away and would be backtracking. I'm driving on to Montalcino.

Has anyone done this? Thinking about switching to pick up in Orvieto, since I've done that before and am already familiar.

Grazie!
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 04:51 AM

The main train station is Chiusi, is simply called Chiusi so far as I know. There is an AVis office right opposite it. Chiusi Scalo is a part of the town that is up on the hill slightly away from there. If you can't rent from Avis, a taxi up to Scalo will not be a big deal.

You don't want ChiancioTermi (sp?) -- that's quite a far way off.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 05:19 AM

There is only one stop at Chiusi. There is no train service to Chianciano Terme; the name has been added to the Chiusi station so that people know where to get off for Chianciano Terme.

There was a post recently about one of the car-rental agencies moving from very close to the Chiusi station to farther away. You might try to find it through the search box or maybe even scroll back until you find it.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Steve and Eloise,
You two always have such great, detailed knowledge. I butchered the spellings! Must have been really tired last night.....

Grazie!
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 06:07 AM

The Chiusi/Chianciano train station is technically in the city of Chiusi Scalo, not Chiusi. Chiusi Scalo is about a mile or so from downtown Chiusi. The car rental places are very close to the train station, just around the corner.

Chianciano Terme is a city about 10 miles west of Chiusi on SS-146, about halfway between Chiusi and Montepulciano. The name Chianciano Terme was probably added to the train station name for the same reason that it was added to the Autostrada exit name, or why the city of Castellabate (in southern Campania) was added to the Agropoli train station: because enough people go there, it just helps with directions.

(How many run-on sentences was that?)
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Wow T,

You're good! That's exactly what I was hoping for. Should be easy to find. I'm renting from AutoEurope, so it could actually be a Hertz or Avis office.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 07:29 AM

Dayle,
Happy travels! We rented at the Chiusi train station in May from Autoeurope. Because the Avis & Hertz rental stations had been closed, the Autoeurope people met us at the train station (prearranged time) with car & paperwork in hand. They had driven the car from Perugia. The return was the same way - they met us at the train station (they found us by recognizing the car). I don't know if they are still managing the rentals differently since May - it's worth checking. It was easy, relaxing and wonderful because we didn't have to haul our luggage anywhere. We got a local phone number from Autoeurope to call in case there were glitches. We had our hotel in Rome call the local number before we took our train. That provided reassurance someone would be there. Hope this is helpful info!
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 11:52 AM

In May, we had the same experience as dorkforcemom. Avis (through AutoEurope) met us at the station, holding a sign with our name on it, having driven our car out from Siena to meet us. We walked about half a block to a travel agency to complete the paperwork. That may have only been a temporary solution though, because the Avis office there had recently closed. There may be different arrangements now, but all went smoothly when we picked up. There was a 100 euro refundable charge each way to bring/return the car from/to Siena. I phoned AE upon our return and they credited my credit card promptly.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! AutoEurope has given me a street address and has not said a word about anyone meeting me, nor have they asked about my arrival plans. So, I have to assume that they now have a new office in Chiusi Scalo where I can expect to pick up the car.

Can't wait!
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:07 AM

My husband and I will be in Chuisi in September; another Foderite told us that there are buses running to Chianciano Terme. We arrive in Chuisi on a Sunday, so we are going to check out getting a car by one of the means you have suggested, ie. maybe someone in the agency would meet us at the train so we would not have to take a bus to Chianciano Terme. Thank you for the details about these places and their names!
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

M,

Since you checked my old post, the follow up was:

I booked through Autoeurope, got an Avis car. Their rental office at the time had been moved to an auto dealership far away from the train station. I did have to take a taxi to get there. Everything else worked out fine.

I'm sure the office location has changed by now. Other Fodorites have had Hertz cars from their rental office right across from the train station.

I doubt there will be Sunday pickup available, but it sure won't hurt to ask!
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 08:11 AM

If you're renting from AutoEurope there is no Sunday pickup in Chiiusi unless you pay extra for it. I did that and met the rental car proprietor at this office, which was not across the street from the station. Rather, you had to exit the station, turn right, walk a block, turn left and walk about halfway down the block. Ihad to ask at the train station for directions, but in the end it was easy to find.