Drive time and advise. CDG to Lyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there! Getting more detailed in our trip planning to France in May 08' We will be flying in to CDG from Toronto, and arriving around 9:30 am. We are staying in Uzes for the first week and then in the Clermont-Ferrand (Auvergne) area for the second. Since we will get there one day early for our accomodation in Uzes, we were thinking of staying one night in Lyon. Could you give me your thoughts on drive time and if this is the best place to stay for a stop over? When could we reasonably expect to arrive there? Your advise and thoughts are so appreciated. Thanks
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Lyon is a great place for a stop. Wonderful city - you'll be upset to leave after only one night.

If you're flying into CDG, I'd just hop on the TGV to Lyon from there. It's about a two-hour trip and you can get PREM fares for cheap. You can pick up a car in Lyon for the drive south the next day.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 12:29 PM

Hello fellow Canuck,

I did a long weekend on 2005 (Wed-Mon) in Lyons. Landed in Paris, then took the TGV.

I don't know why you would drive, since the TGV is so fast, cheap, right at the airport, and saves holiday time for your destination, not getting to yuor destination (and back).
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 12:34 PM

I like what St Cirq said

Lyon...nice place, great Old Town, classic old buildings, nice squares, scenic views, roman ruins, gastronomy capital of France. Not too large, it would take a few days to see the major sites, but in a day you could do a nice overview.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Ditto what others have said - don't know why you would want to drive when the TGV takes you right there. Driving in Lyon is difficult. I would take the TGV all the way to Avignon (with overnight in Lyon). Most of the freeway from Paris to is not that scenic - actually the TGV route is prettier, I think. Unless you're doing this on a Sat or Sun, the traffic around both Paris and Lyon will be a mess.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

You Fodorites are great! Okay.so you are saying TVG to Lyon, drive to Avignon, pick up a car there ..then drive to Uzes, do our touring from our home base there and drive to our next destination in the Auvergne..tour the area and drop off car at CDG? Would ou know how frequent the train leaves Lyon for Avignon, and the length of time? Thank you. all and felow Canuck!
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up on that one.We are arriving on a Thursday, so the traffic would be a factor. Good advise. Just have to talk DH into that one and find a car company that doesn't charge a fortune to do a pick up and drop off at a different location. We will be landing at T3 in CDG. Will the train be well marked? Is there a website for the TVG? Sorry about all the questions...but I know I am getting the best advise here!
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 02:03 PM

Why niot take the TGV right to Avignon and stay there? You'd have then have a shorter drive to Uzès the following day .
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

True!!! Does seem less complicated. I just wasn't thinking about the train at all until all the good ppl on this thread have started me thinking....Thanks Underhill
Cathy Toner...
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 02:08 PM

www.sncf.com for train schedules and ticketing. Look for PREM fares (they'll be highlighted as such) - they're nonexchangable and nonrefundable, but sometimes incredibly cheap on the CDG>Lyon>Avignon route.

And yes, I guess I'd agree with taking the TGV from Lyon on to Avignon (after a night in Lyon) and picking up a car there for the drive to Uzès.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 02:14 PM

The TGV station is clearly marked at CDG. The TGV in Lyon arrives at the Part Dieu station, which is not, IMO, where you want to stay. There are easy & frequent short connections to the Perrache station which is closer to Old Lyon.

The TGV station in Avignon is called "Avignon TGV". Take the train there - Uzes is close by.
I use the German Train site to determine schedules
http://www.reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
Use MorganB's excellent write-up to purchase tickets on French Trains. Search for it here.

We rent 3-4 cars every year in France, and only once encountered a drop-off charge.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks StCirq...that's a great idea. Thanks for the quick response and the site. Would anyone know of a good hotel in Lyon that's not over the top for just one night, but nice and close to the old city area?
Cathy Toner
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 02:21 PM

If you had a choice, I would drop off car where rented it...and not drive back to CDG.

If you do go to Lyon, it does have a good Metro system.

A website for CDG

www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/Adp/en-GB/Passagers/
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Stu....thank you soooo much for all that valuable info. I have emailed the page to myself as reference!! I'll get this sorted out and then start fine tuning our week in the Auvergne area!! Thanks again....I may be back with more questions...
Cathy Toner...
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 02:27 PM

If you don't want to deal with the hassle of navigating a large-ish city such as Lyon , you might want to check out la Domaine de Clairefontaine, in nearby Chonas l'Amballan. A lovely restored manor house with a Michelin one-star restaurant. Close enough to Lyon (10 minutes) to have absorbed the seriousness of la cuisine lyonnaise, but with a country feel. We had sticker-shock when we looked at our bill, but because it was so reasonable! - msm4
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Michel...Only problem is, we have a second week in a more remote area of France that does require a car, as there will be day trips from there as well...Hmmmm I suppose the only way to find out the pricing is put all the variables together and check the prices.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 02:29 PM

ctoner, the TGV leaves from terminal 2 at CDG. You can look up terminal maps and directions on how to get from one terminal to another here:

www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/Adp/en-GB/Passagers

Uzès and the Auvergne: you've chosen two places we love. Are you planning to rent houses?

And just in case you haven't searched Fodor's yet, here's a link to the trip report I wrote about our two weeks in Auvergne. It's beautiful and uncrowded, with lots of Romanesque architecture:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34742279

Anselm

Old Oct 9th, 2007, 02:31 PM

TGV station is at bottom level of Terminal 2, located just east of 2C/2D. Note that the RER (local train) and TGV stations are located in the same area, so if you follow the train signs you will get to the TGV station. They are on separate platforms. My last trip the TGV was on time to the minute.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 02:42 PM

And of course...no one mentioned that when you land, probably not a good day to be driving to Lyon or anywhere , due to likely lack of sleep and jetlag. So, sleep on the train. The scenery leaving CDG is bland, but gets better as you go South.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi Anselm! Yes we are renting a villa in Uzes, which I managed to retain through VRBO site and we have exchanged our timeshare week into a place called Chateau-du-Malmont (sp) which is beautiful in Randan. I'll be excited to read your trip report and print it out! Thanks sooo much.
Cathy Toner

Michel,

We have managed jetlag very well in the past, but you do have a point. That was driving Glasgow to the Midland in the UK last year....different traffic for sure I think! thanks though
Cathy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -