Scalareale-Ostia Antica

Search

Scalareale-Ostia Antica

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scalareale-Ostia Antica

Anybody ever used these guys for a half day trip to Ostia Antica? Good or bad experience?
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:35 AM
jay

I haven't used them but I really don't think that you need to use anyone. Ostia is very easy to get to from Rome and really you only need to spend 3-4 hrs at the most then take the train back to Rome or go on to the town (by train) and have lunch on the water.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:03 AM

I'd agree about the train to Ostia Antica. But I'd never again take the Metro. (Yes, a member in our group was robbed, even with a security wallet around her waist!) Some of the buses were okay. The train to Ostia Antica lacks AC and any cushioning - metal all the way. But it's not a long trip so you can do it. Just head straight for the snack shack for a cool drink when you get off the platform. The gelatto at the snack shack inside the gates was surprisingly good too.

3-4 hours is more than enough time even if you stop and romp on the ruins, esp. the ampitheater, and read several of the markers. I'd say more like 2-3 hours especially if it's in the summer and it's a hot day.

It was nice to see the water and for a change of pace from the city as well as the port being so well preserved.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 11:52 AM

I've been 3x on my own in the last 9yrs, most recently last year, I really love the place .

But I have booked a trip to Ostia with Scalareale/ContextRome for next month.

The Docent/Guide for my trip will be an archaeologist named Darius Ayra.

Recently he has lead a dig in the Roman Forum and at the Synagogue in Ostia Antia.

I have taken tours with him before. He is very good plus any archaeologist who is allowed to dig in *the* Roman Forum and the famous Synagogue at Ostia has got to be one at the top of his game .

For me, I'm certain I will see and learn many things that I have missed on my other visits. Regards, Walter
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:53 AM

I took this tour on May 2 with Darius Ayra and highly recommend it.

An archaeologist can really bring this site to life and explain many things not found in guidebooks or point-out little things that would easily be by-passed.

If you take this half-day you might consider staying at the end and exploring on your own (it's very simple to get back to Rome).

The tour ends nearby the museum/restaurant/book&gift shop before you start to double-back out of the site and back to the train, so you could grab a bite to eat, hit the wc/bathroom and visit the museum.

I also noted that they were no longer renting audioguides at the ticket booth. Which is a pity because it was a very nice audioguide tour (they also were not renting them in Mar'05).

So your choice IMO; Is either get a Ostia Antica guidebook in Rome (sold at any historical site or museum's bookstore) also at Ostia's bookstore which is in the middle of the site at the museum.
Or take a tour.
Regards, Walter