One week Paris - 2 hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my 15 year old daughter to Paris next March. As it will be dark quite early at that time of year I am trying to book hotels in busy areas where we will feel safe at night walking about. I am thinking of booking the Hotel du Danube as it seems to meet all our requirements. On one night however my daughter wants to do the BigBikeTour evening tour which leaves from the Eiffel Tower. As I understand it doesn't end until midnight I am a little concerned about coming back to our hotel that late at night. I thought perhaps I could change hotels and book a hotel near the Eiffel Tower for the last few nights of our stay. Am I being overly cautious? How easy is it to find a taxi at that hour? I don't want to waste a half day of our trip moving hotels however it may also be fun to explore a new neighbourhood. Has anyone else done this?
Old May 30th, 2005, 02:06 PM

Hi
Other people will be finishing the tour when you do, and they will either walk to the nearest taxi stand to hail one, or they will head to the metro. You can do either, and have company.
You are being overly cautious.

Some people like to change hotels simply to explore a new neighborhood, I wouldn't do that on a trip of a week or less because imo it is a waste of my time and a hassle. But that's me. The check out time for the first hotel is likely to be a lot earlier than the check in time for the 2nd hotel.
Old May 30th, 2005, 02:12 PM

Yes, definitely overcautious. There is no need at all to be concerned about crossing town after midnight. Taxis can be called in advance if that makes you feel more secure - otherwise you have to pick one up from a taxi station, which never seems to be convenient to where you need one. You might be able to hail one at that time of night, but that's not the norm. But as elaine says, there will be other people around, not only from the bike tour, but just normal Parisians heading home late.
Old May 30th, 2005, 03:57 PM

I think you're being quite prudent. Actually, once you've met your guide at the Eiffel Tower, you'll be led walking to their shop located at Place Dupleix (just under 1 km) to pick up your bikes, where you'll also return them at the end of the tour. There's a taxi stand at the Dupleix metro stop, which would be a much shorter walk that returning to the Eiffel Tower (where there's also a taxi stand on the river side by Pont d'Iena). There are always taxis by the Eiffel Tower late at night.

Until June 10th (that's the current schedule, anyway), the sparkling lights twinkle every hour on the hour until 1AM. There will be plenty of people on the Champs de Mars and at the Tower.

Highly recommend you stay for the 1AM sparkling lights, as the regular lights are turned off for a few seconds, then there are just the twinkling lights which look even more spectacular.

You might also want to consider the Segway Tour (sponsored by the same company), as it leaves and returns a bit earlier. We did this last week and it was a blast!
Old May 30th, 2005, 04:31 PM

Regarding the Danube, there are a few repeat guests here. They were fortunate to have staff who treated them allright. I, on the other hand, did not feel welcome and I felt the rooms need renovating even if it's in the heart of St. Germain and the rates are a bit lower than normal. You should read the mixed comments on Tripadvisor.com. A few other guests felt unwelcomed as well. Maybe we were just unlucky but I had not this experience with other hotels in Paris until my visit at the Danube.
Old May 30th, 2005, 04:38 PM

franchophile, that is terrible to have that feeling! I am sorry.

We are one of those who were happy with the Danube, but wherever you decide to stay, just stay in one hotel. It is such a waste of valuable time changing hotels!
A cab is all you need. We catch cabs late at night in Paris all the time.
Right beside the Eiffel Tower is the Cafe de la Tour, you can get a cab there..it is a couple of minutes to the Danube from there.
Old May 30th, 2005, 04:46 PM

Scarlett, I know you and Jody rave about the Danube. Well, that's okay. I think the staff just don't care for some people or just have personal problems, stress, etc. that they don't hide well. Anyway, that's the main reason I will never recommend the Danube. Staff can sometimes affect a visit more than the room itself. At least it did with my aunt and myself. Btw, when I was waiting my turn at the front desk, the young woman receptionist was pretty cold to a fellow American lady too. Bad day again??
Old May 30th, 2005, 04:47 PM

Yes, I know what you mean .
At least there are plenty of choices in Paris to find a hotel that you like
Old May 30th, 2005, 05:03 PM

We walked back after our night Bike Tour and felt completely safe. But, if you are concerned, just call to have a taxi pick you up at the Fat Tire Bike Tour office when you get back. The tour is fabulous! Have a great time!

And, no - I don't think you should switch hotels for 1 week in Paris.
Old May 30th, 2005, 05:36 PM

Scarlett, thanks for accepting my explanation regarding the Danube and not scolding me about my criticisms. Yes, there are lots of other hotels around, many in the same vicinity of the Danube. Somehow, the two rue Jacob hotels I chose weren't favorable to me although I did like the Angleterre's staff. It was the room I thought needed maintenance, but that's taken care of now.
Old May 30th, 2005, 06:38 PM

I do change hotels sometimes during a stay in Paris, just to try out a different neighborhood and hotel. I don't think I've done it if only there a week, though. However, I wouldn't do it just because of taking a bike tour that ends at the Eiffel Tower near midnight. There is a taxi stand right in front of the Eiffel Tower, although I don't know how many cabs line up there around midnight. However, a new hotel won't solve any problems, anyway, as you would have to either take metro to the hotel or taxi a cab to it, anyway. So you'd be in the same situation, maybe just a bit closer. I think most hotels people stay in that they call near the Eiffel Tower are around Ecole Militaire or Latour Maubourg metro stops. I don't think you want to walk from the Eiffel Tower back to them at midnight, so you'd have the same problem.

There are a couple hotels very near the Eiffel Tower, but not that many, and it doesn't sound like you'd want to stay in them (eg, the Hilton). I will admit the nearest metro stop to the Tower (Bir Hakeim) is not the greatest, and the metro is probably the best public transportation option to get closest to that hotel (rather than the RER).
Old May 30th, 2005, 07:25 PM

We have walked "home" often from the Tour Eiffel at midnight or later to hotels in the 7th, in the Ecole Militaire vicinity. We just returned from a stay in an apartment there. We prefer this neighborhood because we feel so safe walking all about late at night.

When we left the Tour Eiffel last week after midnight, there were more than a dozen taxis.

There are many, many charming and reasonably priced hotels in the 7th, more than a dozen, within a 10 minute walk.

Check out Londres, Alma, Relais Bosquet, Bourdonnais, Leveque, Cadran, Champs de Mars, Jardins d'Eiffel, Beauregency, Eiffel Park, Eber Mars, St. Dominique (in no particular order, but sort of according to distance), and there are lots of others.
Old May 31st, 2005, 12:23 AM

Dear Karmark..

Don't worry, Paris is not a so dangerous city...and even less in the area where you are staying..The 6th is really safe....I also stayed in the 7th,at Hotel les Jardins d'Eiffel (www.hotel-jardinseiffel.com) and had nor problem to go out by night...And if you really feel unsafe, yes...as another poster said it, have a cab...it normally must not be so expensive to go from Eiffel Tower to the 6th...

Have anice trip in March with your daughter and don't worry..enjoy Pars!
Old May 31st, 2005, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. It sounds like it should be no problem finding a taxi if that's what we decide to do ( I remember coming out of a nighclub in London years ago with my husband and the taxis wouldn't stop at that time of night. A taxi stand is ideal.)
As for the Danube - there are so many hotels to choose from - I probably have 15 'saved to favourites' already! I'll be checking TripAdvisor again when it comes time to book. I think I still have a few months to look around (after all, planning is half the fun!) Thanks again.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:46 PM

My husband and I like to change hotels, we like to try a different neighborhood, and find it is not really too much of a hassle in a place like Paris. Also, it's nice to try a another hotel. I will be in Paris next month, and have booked at 2 hotels.