Paris - Hotel Bleu Marine near Montparnasse Train Station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received an invite last week to Paris for a work meeting Jan 4-5. This will be my first visit to Paris. I will arrive early AM on Jan 3 and that will be my only day to sightsee. I am staying at the Hotel Bleu Marine, which is close to the Montparnasse transit. I will be jet-lagged, but I do not want to miss my only opportunity for sightseeing, I would also like to do some shopping.

I understand the Eiffel Tower is close to the hotel. I would appreciate recommendations on a few ‘must-see’ sights - possibly Arc de Triomphe. Is the metro the easiest, safest, and most economical way to travel for a female alone? Are the sights within walking distance of each other? I speak no French except for Bonjour and Merci, only English. I have heard the French are not tolerant of the Americans, which is why I have not traveled to France. My husband and I usually travel to Asia where we are well treated. I hope the French will surprise me!

Thanks in advance.
Butch
Old Dec 25th, 2005, 07:27 AM
tod

I suggest you take the open-top bus for a spin around the city to get a general picture and then choose one major thing to do, like going up the Eiffel tower. Then make a move to
Galleries Lafayette for a bit of shopping but mainly to see the amazing domed roof.
The Metro is the best way besides a taxi. Do take a good guide book and start reading now!
About French people. They are extremely correct with their manners and expect to be greated with a "Bonjour Madam/Monsieur" not a "Hi there big guy!" (you get the picture).
I think they like Americans as well as anybody. Be polite to them and they will respond with friendliness. That goes especially for waiters, hotel receptionists and your taxi driver.
Old Dec 25th, 2005, 09:36 AM

You might consider going to the top of the Tour Montparnasse, within a block of two of your hotel, rather than going up the Eiffel. There will be no lines and you get the same full panoramic view over Paris. Of course, take the metro over to Trocadero plaza to view the Eiffel Tower (that's the postcard photo view), then you can walk across the Seine toward the tower for a closer look.
Old Dec 25th, 2005, 04:25 PM
aggiemom

Hi butch - We also stayed near Gare Montparnasse. There is a smaller Galeries Lafayette just around the corner from the Gare - less than a 10-minute walk. It is kind of in a mall with several other stores. Not the best shopping in Paris, but it is close by.

Tour Montparnasse is about one minute from the Gare. There is a metro stop right there and the area seems very safe to me. I walked alone several times into the early evening hours and except for a few "scummy" characters at the Gare entrance, everyone was fine. There is an Inno store across from the Tour where I went to pick up food. It is kind of like a Monoprix and has some really good food (the majority of the food is down the escalator).

Old Dec 25th, 2005, 04:29 PM
aggiemom

As for the "Inno" store across from the Tour, I meant Tour Montparnasse.

The Tour Eiffel is within walking distance, but as I didn't walk there this time, I can't suggest how long it would take.

I know that I saw your Hotel Bleu Marine and was getting money from an ATM when I noticed the Tour Eiffel all lit up at night. Quite pretty!

Old Dec 26th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Considering the cold, I'd take the metro line 6 from Montparnasse to Bir Hakeim, then walk the 3 blocks or so to the Eiffel Tower. When you exit Bir Hakeim, look for the river, when facing the river, turn right and walk. You'll see the tower immediately.
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 06:57 AM

After the Eiffel, go back to Bir Hakeim, and take metro line 6 onward to Charles de Gaulle Etoile, and take the exit for Champs Elysee (there are several exits). As you come up the escalator to above-ground, the Arc de Triomphe comes into full view.

Then, you could walk down the Champs until metro Franklin D Roosevelt (2 stops), take line 9 to Chaussee d'Antin/La Fayette, which will put you on the street in front of the Galeries Lafayette department stores (Printemps is also nearby).

What kind of shopping did you have in mind, though? Perhaps you're not looking for the department stores...
Old Dec 26th, 2005, 08:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, at that time of year, take the Metro. Since your French is limited, it's probably best when you get to the Metro to ask for "un carnet" at the ticket window, which will give you 10 Metro tickets. Not the cheapest, but if you have a fear of new languages, the easiest thing to ask for if the ticket person speaks no English.

The Metro is a nice, safe and warm place, and I have never had any problem going it alone on it anywhere. Like any large city, plan out your travel before getting into the Metro and don't look like a "victim".

You can actually walk the entire city from one end of the tourist sights to the other, but it takes a while and it will be COLD, so I wouldn't recommend it.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 02:44 PM

The Eiffel Tower isn't that close to the Montparnasse metro station, I don't think you are going to want to walk. It is probably about 3 km or a couple miles. I would recommend you use the metro. If you don't have any particular shopping goal in mind, I think the small shopping center at that tower would suffice. The branch of Galeries Lafayette there has the basics, although it's not as glamorous as the main store, of course. There are some youth-oriented shops in that complex, like Kookai. There are also shops of various kinds on rue de Rennes you could walk along, if you wanted (going north from there) -- lingerie, luggage and purses, etc. Of course, you can just take the metro a few stops to St Germain for a little more upscale shopping.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 03:08 PM

I don't recommend the Métro for distances shorter than about halfway across the city. By the time you've climbed down into the ground and back up again, you just as well might have walked there.

But I also don't recommend walking from Bir-Hakeim to the Eiffel Tower in January, no matter how close Ligne 6 comes to Gare Montparnasse.

Buy a 2-zone <i>Mobilis</i> card (all-day pass) for your sightseeing day, and print out this map:

<b>http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...aux&amp;fm=pdf
</b>

As you can see, the N&deg; 82 bus goes right past your hotel to the tower. From there, the N&deg; 82 will take you over to Porte Maillot, where the N&deg; 73 serves the Arc de Triomphe and down to the Rond Point, where a N&deg; 42 takes you to the Madeleine and the Op&eacute;ra. There are some major department stores in the area. Then a N&deg; 21 goes to the Louvre, Notre Dame, and Luxembourg in the Latin Quarter, whence the N&deg; 82 will take you home.

With your pass, you can get off anywhere you like and get on another bus. Or start from Montparnasse and take M&eacute;tro Ligne 12 to Pigalle and ride the <i>Montmartrobus</i> all over Montmartre and to Sacre Coeur.