One night in Paris - Montmarte

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be arriving in Paris on Saturday 23rd September in the afternoon and staying for one night in the Montmarte area (near Sacre Coeur). Leaving early next morning. I will be travelling with my mother who is mobile but not able for much walking or climbing.
Any suggestions for things to do, restaurants in the area, etc.
I read that there is a furnicular railway access to Sacre Coeur - does that mean that you avoid climbing steps, or are there some steps to be climbed anyway?
Considered boat trip on Sienne. How close is Eiffel Tower to Montmarte? Also what is taxi service like if we need to use it to get to places?
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 12:23 AM

Montmartre is a lovely area, but it's not an ideal choice if one has mobility problems, as it is quite hilly.

There are zillions of restaurants in the area. Tourists may enjoy the ones around the place du Tertre at the top of the butte (this is where the artists hang out).

There is indeed a funicular (uses the same tickets as the Métro), but it's a moderate uphill walk to get to it from some stations (try Abbesses instead of Anvers), and it doesn't take you all the way to the top of the butte—there are still two flights of steps to get to the top, plus a slight uphill walk to get to the place du Tertre.

The Eiffel Tower is in a completely different part of town, but Paris is not a large city in terms of area, so you can easily get there on the Métro. Take line 2 at Anvers in Montmartre to Étoile, then change to line 6 and take it down to Trocadéro. This will give you a great view of the tower from across the river, and then you can walk down and across the river to get to the tower (there is no station that serves the tower directly, so you have to walk a bit).

Taxis are very difficult to find unless you are at a popular taxi stand. There are often taxis at the stand at the top of the Montmartre butte, and there's another popular stand next to the Eiffel Tower. At other locations, you may have to struggle for quite some time to hail a taxi, especially at certain hours.

I'm not sure how many hours you have, but consider spending the afternoon in Montmartre and eating there, then take the Métro (or a taxi) to Trocadéro and go across the river to the Eiffel Tower, which you can go up in if you want (if you have a fear of heights, avoid this). Then you can take a boat ride on the Bateaux Parisiens, which are right down on the river next to the Eiffel Tower (some steps to negotiate). By then it will be late and you can take the Métro or a taxi back to where you are staying.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 12:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You might also consider taking the "Montmartrobus" from Place Pigalle up to the Sacré Coeur. It is a normal municipal bus (1 metro ticket) but smaller because it takes narrow streets. There is also a little "tourist train" that leaves from the same place but obviously more expensive, albeit with commentary in multiple languages.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Original Poster

thank you AnthonyG. You have mapped out a plan that I think will work for us.
Kerouac, does the montmartrobus get all the way up to Sacre Coeur or are there still steps involved?
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 01:59 AM

It comes very close. Here's an official map:

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...bus&fm=gif

Some of the streets in Montmartre are too narrow for even the tiny Montmartrobus, but it's only a short walk from some of its stops to places like the place du Tertre.

It does make a lot of stops at places that might not interest you (although the area is very pretty), and it won't get you very far to other destinations in absolute terms (at most you end up at the top or bottom of the butte), but it's an option.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:36 AM

I think this is a <u>very bad idea</u> if your mother has limited mobility. Even with the proposed metro trips, there will be walking and climbing involved as not all metro stations have working elevators or escalators.

Montmartre is possibly the highest geographic point in Paris - why would you choose that for someone who shouldn't be climbing or walking much?

Why wouldn't you choose something very central and close to the places you are most interested in for such a short visit? (the Seine and the Eiffel were specified).

At the very least, consider locating on a good bus line - buses are easier to use than the metro for folks who can't do a lot of walking or stairs.

There is an ongoing thread about Paris taxi service - you should find and print that out.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Oh, it's only one night! It's not a 2-week stay. Montmartre will be fine.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

My problem is that I had booked a hotel in Montmarte before I realised that it was hilly etc., but, as has been said it is just one night so we can take it easy. Thank you all for advice which will be very useful.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Hello,
What's the address of the hotel? I know the area well and might be able to suggest a good restaurant near where you are staying.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:28 AM

We are staying at 3 rue Caulaincourt.

Would appreciate any suggestions for restaurants etc.!

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Le Restaurant on Rue Veron. It's off of Rue Lepic, just a short distance from the Moulin Rouge.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Lindam got in before me ! !
My hotel is Timhotel at rue Ravignon?
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:46 AM

Lindam, your hotel is very near Place Clichy, where there are two well known brasseries, Brasserie Wepler (www.wepler.com) and Charlot. I was disappointed with dinner at Wepler (ate there several years ago) but it is popular and often well reviewed. I haven't tried Charlot but it looks like a lovely place (beautiful Art-Deco interior) and is well known for its seafood.

Padhraicin, my mother and aunt (who also has some mobility issues and tires easily) stayed at the Timhotel Montmartre a few years ago and were very happy there. The only issue is there are a few stairs to go up from the street, as taxis can't drop you by the door. But no need to go far afield to find good places to eat.
On rue Ravignan is Le Soleil Gourmand, a lovely, friendly little place which serves great home made quiches, salads, light meals, etc.

There's also Le Relais de la Butte on rue Ravignan. Haven't eaten there for a while but it used to be good.

On rue des Abbesses there are some good caf&eacute;s and there's a fun wine bar at no. 43, la Cave des Abbesses (the bar is &quot;hidden&quot; at the back of the shop and there are a couple of pavement tables perfect for people watching). There's a really good Breton creperie at the end of rue des Abbesses, just after it turns into rue Lepic (road starts to curve up and round to the right). Can't remember the name but it's great value, friendly and the crepes are delicious.

Our favourite restaurant in the area is Chez Toinette on rue Germain Pilon, which is downhill from place des Abbesses. Really good regional cooking, intimate, friendly atmosphere and a good all-round &quot;French&quot; experience.

Another good place is la Queue du Chat on rue Tholoz&eacute;, near the top by the Moulin de la Galette.

HTH
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:26 AM

Because your hotel is so near Place de Clichy, you will have no trouble finding a taxi there since there is a taxi stand right at Place de Clichy that is hopping at all hours. I know this for a fact because I live very close to it. You can also rest assured that your hotel is on the edge of Montmartre on a fairly normal, flat area, not perched high up on a tiny street winding uphill. Quite close to your hotel is a newish place called Foodie &amp; Cie that I would recommend for lunch or a light dinner - no hills involved to get to it, it's just at 75 Bd. de Clichy around the corner from your hotel. Slightly uphill from your hotel and just past the Cimetiere de Montmartre at 5 rue Damremont is a small restaurant we have enjoyed for dinner called La Preuve Par Neuf. They have fixed price dinners that are an excellent deal. Tel: 01.42.62.64.69.

All that to say, when you venture toward Sacre Coeur, you will probably see a restaurant that will entice you and end up being far more convenient to your sightseeing, but it never hurts to take a few recommendations with you in a pinch!

You are also at the hub of several bus lines that could be very helpful to your sightseeing. Bus No. 30 will take you right to the Eiffel Tower, and it has a stop very near to the front door of your hotel! The folks at your hotel should be able to help you find the bus stop. The 30 bus does not run late at night, so you could end up having to take a taxi back, depending on what time you plan on heading that way.

Have a wonderful trip and enjoy the neighborhood!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:45 AM

That's good for Lindam, but the OP is Padhraicin who has the mother with mobility problems.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 02:34 PM

Dear Padhraicin,

Sorry I had the wrong hotel address for you. My suggestion for a meal would be Le Relais Gascon, 6 rue des Abbesses, not far from your hotel at all. Adorable, inexpensive, and has the best, gigantic, fattening salads around. Try the Bernaise, which has goat cheese, tons of lardons (like bacon), heaps of garlic fried potato slices, tomatoes, and a very small amount of lettuce! ;-) They serve non-stop, every day, from 10 a.m.-2p.m. If it's a nice day, take a seat on the sidewalk. If it's chilly, sit upstairs in their cute little dining room.

As for transportation, I am certain your hotel will be able to get a cab for you and your mother to help make things easier for you both.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 07:44 PM

Bus #80 has a stop on the corner at Clichy/Caulaincourt. You can get a map of the entire route at www.ratp.fr

Going north, you can connect with the Montmartrobus at Damremont/Caulaincourt. From there, walk east (away from the cemetary, Terrass Hotel will be on your left) on rue Joseph Maistre. Once you pass rue Lepic, the street name is rue des Abbesses. The Montmartrobus stop is at the next corner at Tholoze/Abbesses. Note that the Montmartrobus travels in one direction, so you'll want to have a map of that route handy.

For a Seine Cruise, you can take Bus #80 to Place de l'Alma. Across from there is the entrance to the Bateaux Mouches, but it's a bit of a walk to the ticket office/dock...

Also at Place de l'Alma is a taxi stand. We've never had any problem getting a taxi there, though once in a while there is a short queue. From there, it would be a short taxi ride to the Eiffel Tower. It's a much shorter walk to the Bateaux Vedettes de Paris at Pont d'Iena (opposite the Tour Eiffel and on the same side of the river, just follow the signs). After, you could take a taxi back to Place de l'Alma (where the terrace of Chez Francis is a fantastic place to enjoy coffee/beverage of your choice with a great view of the Tour Eiffel) then bus #80 back to your hotel. Bus #80 runs daily until half past midnight. Chez Francis is also a moderately priced restaurant with good (but not great) food. One side of the terrace is for dining and you'd need a reservation for that or a table inside with a view.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 04:34 AM

So much good info here. Bookmarking.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 04:54 AM

To bookmark a thread, you don't have to top it. Just go up to the thread title, click on it, and you can see in the address line the &quot;thread&quot; number. Go to your favorites and select &quot;Add to Favorites&quot; and a menu will appear. You can then rename it and put it in whatever favorites folder you select.