Help! Paris shortened to one day!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had planned a great jam-packed two days in Paris that was to begin tomorrow. However, our flight was cancelled and so now we will be reduced to one day - in fact, likely 10 hours!

Is this doable .... (I know it's horribly rushed and likely offensive to those that love to linger on the amazing sites in Paris. We simply just don't have the time.)

Louvre @ 9:00 am- 11:00 am - likely will see only a couple of paintings, I know . It is still worth it and is a must.

Check out Notre Dame sadly just from the outside (unless miraculously there is no line)

Vedettes du Pont Neuf boat tour

Then walk to Tuileries Gardens to the Place de Concorde
Walk up the Champs D'Elysees part way - basically to see the Arc de Triomphe and get some pictures

Eiffel Tower - prebooked tickets at 5:00

We are a family of 5 and have been touring the past 3 weeks. Our children enjoy sightseeing and do not complain or tire easily. They are not a hindrance at all.

Any thoughts if this is doable? We have had to drop some things - the Catacombs, Luxembourg Gardens, St Chapelle, Musee D'Orsay...

We hope to walk as much as possible to enjoy the city on our own day. I'd love some feedback!

Thanks
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 06:57 AM

I think you may be too time pressed to walk up the Champs and get close enough to the Arc...you can jump in the Metro at Place de la Concorde and get off at Etoile and see the Arc and then take the Metro to Bir Hakeim and walk the short distance to the Eiffel Tower before 5.

9-11 Louvre
11-11:45ish Notre Dame (includes walk over)
11:45 - 1 lunch in Latin Quarter
1:30 - 2:30 - cruise
2:30 - 3:15ish - walk through Tuileries

That gives you 1.5 hours to metro to the Arc, take pics and see it, then metro to Bir Hakeim and walk to the Eiffel Tower by just before 5.

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much! Your advice is very helpful, particularly the metro stations!!
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 07:12 AM

You can take a bus up--or down--the Champs and get the idea. I think the Champs is very sterile and not worth it. The Arc is, of course.
Just enjoy Notre Dame from the outside and inside. You don't have time to go up in it.
I would go to Ste. Chapelle at least for a good long look.
No to the Catacombs.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Ste. Chapelle is very close to Notre Dame, correct?

I need to find a good map

We have no interest in the Champs, but definitely the Arc. The metro works well with our interests

Thanks
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 07:18 AM

Ste Chapelle is right by Notre Dame, but the lines are usually very long unless you go first thing in the morning so I dont think you will have time - you need to go inside to see the stained glass to make it worth it...save it for next time.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 07:37 AM

There shouldn't be a line to get into Notre Dame, but there will be to climb the towers. Unless you go to Ste Chapelle, early there will be a line for security.

I would skip the Champs, as well...very crowded, very touristy and full of shops they have every where. It is disappointing.
Take the bus if your really want the Arc.

Sorry...no way an ideal scenario!
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 07:49 AM

Given you have five people and are tight on time, consider taking taxi rather than metro (like to and from Eiffel Tower or the Arc. As convenient as the metro may be, it takes lots of time just trying to get in and out of the station. They won't be too expensive comparing to metro fare for five.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 08:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Are you in a hotel? Where are you starting from?

IMO, I'd view The Louvre from the courtyard and get some photos, it's beautiful, but I'd skip the inside on your time schedule, it's too overwhelming and time consuming.

Then I'd walk over to Notre Dame, again view the outside and usually the lines to get in for a walk-thru are short(it's the tower that has long lines.) A quick stroll down Isle St. Louis with a cone at Amorino (every cone, the gelato is made in the shape of a flower.)

I'd then cross the river to the left bank and check out the activity on a walk to Luxembourg Gardens where I'd have lunch at the outside cafe in the Park. Yes, it will be a casual sandwich or salad lunch, but it will be quick and oh what beautiful surroundings. To me the Tuilleries are nice, but Luxembourg Gardens is the best.

Then a walk over to Pont Nueff for your river cruise. Then the Metro to the Arch for photos. Then the Metro to The Eiffel.

Just another suggestion from someone who loves Paris. Have a great trip.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 09:54 AM
sap

I second TPAYT's plan. It's doable and offers a good overview. Do a search, also, for Michel_Paris. I'm pretty sure he's the one who frequently posts details for a reasonable one-day taste of the city, which is similar to what TPAYT has recommended. You'll need the energy for a whirlwind, though.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 10:21 AM

Frankly I would bag the boat ride and spend the time inside Notre Dame instead - but that's just my preference. I wold rather actually see something than just ride by the outsideof a limited number of places.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 10:56 AM
ira

Hi jt,

This might be of use to you,

A DAY IN PARIS FROM LONDON

Get out your "Streetwise" map of Paris.

www.ratp.fr will give you directions for the RER and Metro from CDG into, around and out of Paris.

Take the RER to The Etoile. You are now at the Arc de Triomphe. (OOOOH, AHHHH).

Walk <i>down</i> the Champs Elysee to the Place Concorde. (AHHHH, OOOOH)

Head toward the river and stop at http://www.musee-orangerie.fr/ for the Impressionists.

Walk down to the river and go right to the Palais complex.

Buy a day pass for the www.batobus.com and take it to the Eiffel Tower. (OOOOH, AHHHH).

Go across to the Trocadero, for the best view of the ET. (Take pix).

Take the Batobus to the Quai Malaquais stop. Take pix of the Musee d'Orsay as you go by.

Stop off at the Pont des Arts. (Take pix)

Walk East along the Seine (buy souvenirs at the book stalls) to Notre Dame.
Cross the river, see ND. (OOOOH, AHHH)

Cross to the Right Bank and pick up the Batobus going West at the Hotel de Ville stop.

Take the Batobus to the Louvre stop. See the Louvre and the Tuileries.

If you have time:

Go North through the Louvre to the Rue de Rivoli. Window shop while walking East to the Louvre metro stop.

Take the no. 1 line dir Vincennes to the Bastille stop. See the monument.
Go West to the Place des Vosges. Walk through the park and follow your map to the Rue Rosiers. (Get some felafel). Follow Rue Bretonnerie to the Pompidou. Continue on to Les Halles.

Au Pied de Cochon (15, Rue Montmartre) is open all night.

Take the RER back to CDG.

Enjoy your day.

Old Jul 30th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your great advice!
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 11:29 AM

I've never seen a line to go into Notre Dame. It is a working cathedral but it is large and a lot of tourists just hang around outside and it doesn't take that long to view the inside. I've never had any interest in going up the tower, so maybe there is a line for that.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 12:06 PM

A "real" Paris ,experience, if that exists, means savouring it--so pick one part of it and savour, rather than rushing. You can take this approach and still do most of what you've proposed! Just skip the Eiffel and the Arc. (Or choose them and skip the rest--but you have two main areas you want to see, and I think you'll have a MUCH preferable experience if you focus on one. I definitely vote for Left Bank and the islands.)

As long as the weather's sunny, hit Sainte Chappelle as soon as it opens--line up early, even. Those stained glass windows are like nothing else on a bright day, but if it's cloudy, skip it.

I'm not sure how often the Vedettes depart as I haven't taken them, but I do think a boat cruise is worthwhile--you can "do" the Tower this way as well as getting a great overview of the central city. If there's some time between Sainte Chappelle and the boat, fill it with Notre Dame and wandering the Left Bank and/or the two islands. It may be too simple of an experience to be listed in guidebooks, the way they list all the monuments, but I promise your kids will never forget what it felt like just to wander along the quais for 1/2 hour, watching the river flow by and checking out the bouquiniste booths. Shakespeare & Co. in the Latin Quarter is also unique and an incredible place to pop into.

Unless there's a specific piece or pieces of art you've been longing your whole life to see, skip the inside of the Louvre, as another author has suggested. I love the Nike of Samothrace and it was worth a lot to me to see it, but I walked right past the Mona Lisa without looking. To each her own. As was mentioned, the Louvre is an incredible palace that's worth seeing from the outside and, for my money, that's plenty for the time you have.

And DEFINITELY have Amorino gelato on the Ile St-Louis. I thought it was overhyped, but I just had it, and man, the they are not kidding.
I'd grab sandwiches "à emporter" and take them to the Luxembourg Gardens before your 10 hours are up. The Medici fountain (more of a reflecting pool) there is one of my favourite places in the whole world.

Good luck! Your children are so lucky to have parents like you!
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 01:00 PM

I would take the sandwiches to the Champs de Mars in front of the Eiffel Tower!! And a family picture for the Christmas card.
Everyone will have a different fave.
YOu have reservations to go up in the Tower--it will still take hours, but it is at the end of the day so maybe not too bad.
There is really no reason to run around trying to do everything when you KNOW you can't. You are taking your kids on a memory trip--and because of it, they will be back. I know, 'cause we did too.
Skip the Louvre. It is just too much.
You could choose a smaller museum like the Rodin or the Cluny (the unicorn tapestry) and see some incredible works of art that will remain a great memory. The Rodin is near the Tower, maybe the lunch, etc.
The boat tour will be really good. Good history and sights. Take some food and drink.
Souvenirs--museum shop at Orsay?
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 02:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What are your actual hours IN Paris? If into the evening--you can see the Arc after the Tower. No reason to eat up valuable time going up the Champs E. (by bus, taxi, metro or on foot, it will still take time)

I'd do a combo of several of the suggestions -- Ste Chapelle first, Notre Dame (shouldn't be any line to speak of to get in to the Cathedral itself). Luxembourg Gdns - maybe eating a picnic there. Boat ride - or - walk along the left bank. I'd skip the Louvre but you <i>could</i> just walk across the Seine and take photos of the courtyard and pyramid. Then something relatively near the ET -- Rodin Museum or Invalides or whatever. Another snack or picnic or casual meal in/near the Tower/Champ de Mars. Go up the Tower at 5PM. Then over to the Arc --probably by cab. Then off to the airport.
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the advice. We ended up with a wonderful day in Paris.
We started at the Louvre right at 9:00. We had a plan to see 10 things and we had no problem doing so before 11:00. We loved the Louvre and could have easily spent more time there, but still felt satisfied in light of our tight timetable.
We then walked across to the river Seine and walked along the river. We made our way to Notre Dame, stopping at some souvenir markets en route. We walked passed St Chapelle, but did not stop. What long lines!
There was a big line at Notre Dame, but it went quickly. We loved the Cathedral.
After the Cathedral, we went for lunch and then made our way to Pont Neuf for our river cruise. By this time, it was clear one of our sons had come down with the flu (severe headache, high fever - fortunately no vomiting) and do a boat cruise was perfect. We all really enjoyed it.
Once the cruise was over, we walked back to the Louvre and through Tuileries Gardens to the Place de Concorde. Once we reached the Concorde, our son was very ill and so we ended up skipping the Arch (sadly) and catching a taxi to the Eiffel Tower. We were early for our prebooked tickets, so we relaxed in the shade. Our son slept while the rest of enjoyed soaking up the atmosphere.
We went up the tower at 5:30. We all loved it. We were so glad not to be waiting in lines!
After the tower, we taxied to the train station and our driver dropped us in perfect vantage point of the Arc du Triomphe! We got our pics after all!
Then it was back to our hotel to let our son go to bed.
It was a wonderful day!
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 06:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
So happy your day in Paris turned out so well. Doesn't it make you want to go back for more?

Your son must be a real trooper to go on while sick---Hope he got better quick.
Old Aug 13th, 2011, 09:04 AM
sap

Thank you for getting back to everybody with your experience. It's nice to know that you were able to pull things off so well, even under unfortunate circumstances. Those details will be helpful for anyone else who only has one day for Paris.

Hope your boy was better soon, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -