Just Back - Hired a Driver

May 20th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Original Poster

Just Back - Hired a Driver

I brought 4 seniors with me for a 8 day tour. We covered a lot of the country-Shannon to Kilarney-Ring of Kerry-Blarney-Waterford-Donegal-Beleek-Derry-Giants Causeway-Knock and lots in between. We hired a driver/van from Celetic Tours. It was the best desicion I ever made. I relaxed and enjoyed the scenery. No checking maps or getting lost. Stopped for bathroom/snack breaks whenever we wanted-very important with older folks. And saw and did everything we wanted...and lots more too that our driver/guide added in..things we would have driven right by. Enjoyed a Guiness any old time without worry! Our driver Pat became part of our family and gave my parents the extra physical help/patience they needed. I have driven in Ireland before...but will never bother with it again. And best of all the price for 5 people sharing the van was not all that much more than a bus trip. Hope this helps someone else trying to bring older/slower folks to see the beauty of Ireland.
May 31st, 2005, 11:22 AM

Can you tell me how you found the driver? On the web? Referred to you? Thanks.
May 31st, 2005, 01:11 PM

Would love to know the cost for this service
May 31st, 2005, 04:34 PM

Hi Kyeager, what an excellent idea! And consequently you got to enjoy the trip, the scenery etc. too.
Jun 1st, 2005, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

I found Celtic Tours just by surfing the web. Then I went to my local travel agent that does a lot of travel to Ireland. They told me they had used the company to book bus tours but never used thier Driver Package. Since they had good experience with them- we gave it a shot. We had 5 people in the van and traveled for 8 days -staying in B&Bs. Including airfair we paid approx $1800/pp. It was only about $200 more per person than a CIE Bus Tour of the same length. Well owrth it to us all. We made our own itinerary, stopped whenever we wanted and most important...No stress, No maps, no getting lost. The folks say it was the best vacation we ever had. I drove last time we went and I missed so much of the scenery and was too stressed to really relax. This worked out much better for us.