One day in Barcelona

Search

One day in Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2019, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One day in Barcelona

We have one day off of a cruise ship in Barcelona in June. We have been there twice before (one day each time) We would like to see the Sagrada Famila again since our last visit was 25 years ago. Assuming we reserve a time for that in advance, is it also worth seeing Casa Mila, or just focusing on walking and browsing? We do like shopping in unusual little shops, so would it be better to try to get to the Born/Ribera neighborhoods rather than the Gothic Quarter, Boqueria market or just along La Rambla? How good is local public transportation for these areas mentioned or perhaps to Palau Guell, Torre Bellesguard, or the Caixaforum?
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 02:28 AM

We found for two people that a taxi was the most practical to travel any distance in Barcelona that was too far to walk. They were quite cheap and readily available.
Only you can know how closely you want to look at the Sagradia - this, and times that you can leave and arrive back at your ship, will dictate how much else you can do in your day. Di
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 08:52 AM

Only you can determine what is of important to you, seeing a Gaudi specimen or shopping and buying stuff. I have zero or less than zero interest in shopping so would never do that (choose shopping). I don't think that many shops nowadays are really unusual anyway, but Born has lots of small shops. The boqueria market is for food, I thought (Boqueria). I didn't even know they had anyting but food and not sure what kind of shopping you can do for a day trip there.. I'd rather do lots of things than go shopping in Barcelona, they have good museums and other sites. But you can do shopping in Gotic quarter if you want to go there for some reason, place Sant Josep Oriol is a good places, lots of independent small shops near it, it's not too far from the Boqueria.

HOpe this day isn't a Sunday as shops are closed.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 10:00 AM

Just returned from Barcelona. If I had one day I would most definitely book Sagrada Familia. A full visit will take 1 1/2hrs or so. I would skip the outliers (Montjuic/Torre Bellesguard) and take the metro from Barceloneta to Sagrada Familia, then from SF to the Passeig Di Gràcia (plenty of high end shopping) stop and then walk La Rambla and the beautiful Barri Gòtic. Most everything is in this area. From there you could walk or metro to the ship (which I assume is in Barceloneta).

Caixaforum is in*Montjuïc. We took the transbordador Aeri to Montjuïc and would not recommend. The area was a bit remote and shabby in my opinion. It*was constructed for the 1992 Olympics and you can definitely sense it. Also when we arrived the cable car to the top of Montjuic was closed for maintenance. Wouldn’t do it again. Good luck!