Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are there any Eastern European Countries that require a VISA?

Apr 18th, 2018, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

I am planning to visit Romania, Moldova, Ukraine, Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Belarus in September 2018. I will be traveling as a solo passenger. I've been checking the United States Government page on the Internet, and it appears that I will not need a VISA, but just a valid passport for these countries.

It appears that I can only stay five days in Belarus with a passport. I will arrive and exit at the airport. If you have any information on safety, things to see, or places to avoid, please let me know. Has anyone ever taken the night train from Tbilisi to Baku?
Apr 18th, 2018, 07:27 AM

" I've been checking the United States Government page on the Internet, and it appears that I will not need a VISA, but just a valid passport for these countries. "

That would apply if you have a US passport, which you have implied but not stated.
Apr 18th, 2018, 07:38 AM

As a US citizen I have not needed a visa for recent travel to Romania or Armenia. This said, each country has validity restrictions on a passport's expiration date (a passport valid for more than 6 months, for example.) You might want to check each of those dates.

I would be happy to answer specific questions on Romania and Armenia, if possible. Also, I am traveling to Belarus next month for three days, to Minsk and for a day trip to one of the castles, and will most likely write a trip report.
Apr 23rd, 2018, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments. I just added Kazakhstan to my list for September. There is a quick flight from Baku to Aktau. I have been reading reviews of airlines and TAROM out of Bucharest is pretty good.
Apr 23rd, 2018, 12:55 PM

Don't you need a visa to go to Azerbaijan? They have an e-visa system I believe.
Oct 15th, 2018, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

You are right about the VISA to Azerbaijan. It costs $24 and takes three days to process. Basically, Google $24 Visa to Azerbaijan, take a photo of your passport, answer a few questions and wait. They respond several times but be sure to check your Spam Folder if you don't see a response. I entered the country from Georgia and Kazakhstan at the airport so I needed two Visas.
Oct 15th, 2018, 02:24 AM

Moldova has break-away zone which is not recognised by US. If visiting you may need to "buy" a visa.
Oct 15th, 2018, 06:16 AM

Notice the date on the original post - April. Wally has returned and posted a trip report. Thanks, Wally!
Oct 16th, 2018, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by wally34949 View Post
Thanks for your comments. I just added Kazakhstan to my list for September. There is a quick flight from Baku to Aktau. I have been reading reviews of airlines and TAROM out of Bucharest is pretty good.
Flew back to UK with TAROM from Bucharest 3 months ago.

Bucharest Airport is fine once you've cleared the formalities. In the Check-in Hall there's hardly any seating, and all the outlets are v.expensive.

It took us 3.5 hours to Check-in. Why? TAROM's electronic Check-in system was down, all the other Airline Desks were fine.

Good experience in the air, modern aircraft, clean cabin, excellent cabin staff, food and drink were fine.

Thoughly enjoyed our 3 weeks in Transylvania, one of the cleanest and greenest countries I've ever been.
Nov 19th, 2018, 04:35 AM

I know that you don't need visa to enter Ukraine. Regular passport will be enough

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO