Reload this Page >

Info on Barcelona

Search

Info on Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Ann

Info on Barcelona

Am planning a short stop in Spain w/ my 2 daughters (15 & 19) this summer - think Barcelona would be a good stop. Any refs on hotels/B&B's.... shopping...special tours or spots to see and/or nightlife?<BR>Thanks!

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Melissa

We stayed there before and after our cruise last year. Hotel Intercontinental Princess Sophia was nice - not in the tourist area so it was quiet, walking distance from shopping, restaurants, underground. <BR><BR>Check out the market off the Ramblas - it's a fun experience. Go to El Cortes Ingles - it's an upscale department store, grocery, electronics, Wal-Mart and all rolled into one and the prices were great. Picked up Mephisto shoes at their store for less than 1/2 of what they cost here in the US. Mermagnum down by the sea is a tourist trap although we did get some great prints of the city cheap and on Sundays there is a 'flea market' down there by the statue of Colubus. People were friendly and most spoke English well enough that we could get around. Felt safe everywhere. Get gelati on the Ramblas. To go a tapas bar not on the Ramblas. Take the open top bus tour - you can get on and off as much as you want and see the sites especially the Gaudi stuff - this is the year of Gaudi. We missed it but they have a free concert and laser light show on Friday nights - can't remember the name but it's where the big palatial fountain is.<BR><BR>If you need more or more specific information, email me and I will be glad to pull our books and look it up.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 06:23 PM
McH

Ann,<BR><BR>A couple of thoughts:<BR><BR>1) Just to get it straight it is Maremagnum<BR><BR>2) Las Ramblas would be a nice place to go around to grab a beer or some tapas<BR><BR>3) For an evening dinner I would prefer the Old Port restaurants, which where kind of the in thing when I was there 1 year ago<BR><BR>4) Go to see Palacio Guell and La Sagrada Familia, both from Gaudi<BR><BR>5) Barrio Gotico, the old part of town, fantastic<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR><BR>McH

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 09:16 PM
marko

Would anyone suggest walking around the Barrio Gotic or Ramblas at night, lots of people or dark and dangerous ??

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:19 PM
Harvey

Safe? Barcelona? You must be kidding!<BR>It's the #1 problem location for pickpockets in the world! Check out www.photo.net/spain/barcelona <BR>or abcnews.go.com/sections/2020/2020/chat_arno_1106.html <BR>or<BR>www.bobarno.com/bata.htm <BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:27 PM
Harvey

Towards middle of last one says<BR><BR>Sadly, bag-snatchers abound in Barcelona, but usually in the labyrinthine lanes off Las Ramblas, where they can disappear in an instant. Do not resist a bagsnatcher, as they have become more desperate and more determined in recent years. Several women have been killed and other injured in resulting falls.<BR><BR><BR>

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:01 AM
dissed

Just wonderfull ! Which travel agency do you work for ?

Old May 1st, 2002, 04:42 AM
Jess

Barcelona is wonderful! It is very safe(I carried a purse the enitre trip) and charming. The Barri Gotic was no problem at night, though the are around Playa de Geroge Orwell was full of pretty people. The nightlife was great, with so many little bars to hop into and just chill. Your oldest will be able to drink and if you let her, I would recommend Va de Vi for a wonderful wine bar with great cava. I didn't take the bus while I was there because I think you get so much more by walking. If you are there on Sunday go to the big anitque market in front of the cathedral. And buy the TimeOut guide--it was SO good!

Old May 2nd, 2002, 02:11 AM
undissed

thank you for balance ! and not paranoia

Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:04 AM
Jess

Sorry, I meant to say that Playa de George Orwell was full of "pretty sketchy people" not "pretty people". Oops.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:26 AM
snorkelman

In Barcelona the nightlife is great. Although the club names change all the time, try Mare Magnum. This is a shopping mall by day and a ton of dance clubs (each with a different theme) at night (located on the water). There's no cover charge so you can go into and out of them all night long until 4:30.<BR><BR> Keep in mind that the clubs do not get busy until late (they can very easily be dead at midnight and not get crowded until 2 or 3 a.m.) <BR><BR><BR>A good bar is the Black Sheet – located in an old castle – cheap beer – hit this place before you go to the clubs! <BR><BR>If you (or your daughters) plan on partying hard, this town is a great place to do it.