Not to miss places to eat for foodies?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are going to be honeymooning in Rome and are so anxious to EAT!! Any places we should not miss for great food and gelato?
Thanks!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 09:48 AM

There are so many terrific places to eat in Rome, but the two that stand out for me are smaller, family run restaurants:

The first is Ecce Bomba which is on a tiny side street near the Piazza Navona. Our Italian cousins brought us here for dinner and the greatest discovery was their "Roman artichokes." They are just delicious. The service was friendly and I believe the prices were reasonable.

The other restaurant is Ambasciata d'Abruzzo, via Pietro Tacchini in Parioli district which was recommended by my son's Italian teacher. They bring tons of food, samplings of several appetizers, desserts, pastas, that are all delicious. The food is excellent Abruzzi homestyle cooking. The place was filled with locals as was Ecce Bomba.

Have a great time.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 10:02 AM

We loved a little place called Marios - its near the forum and opera - not to be confused with other Mario's. Our concierge was suprised we knew of it - excellent food, small, wonderful host/waiter who will "make for you a special dinner" that isn't on the menu. the best gelato we had was at a little place down from Trevi - if you're looking at the fountain head on - go to your left. the name blue moon sticks in my mind but I could be wrong....lots of flavors. stayed away from the big tourist gelato places - too commercial. have a fun time
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 10:07 AM

We loved a little place called Marios - its near the forum and opera - not to be confused with other Mario's. Our concierge was suprised we knew of it - excellent food, small, wonderful host/waiter who will "make for you a special dinner" that isn't on the menu. the fish was outstanding - they have a house special that is cooked in brown paper with vegetables. you'll also get some really good grappe! the best gelato we had was at a little place down from Trevi - if you're looking at the fountain head on - go to your left. the name blue moon sticks in my mind but I could be wrong....lots of flavors. stayed away from the big tourist gelato places - too commercial. have a fun time
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 10:07 AM

sorry for the duplicate - the system is really funny today.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 11:50 AM

These were my favorites:

Rome

IL BACARO
Via degli Spagnoli 27, Piazza Navona,
(so lovely & romantic w/ great food! But make reservations ahead of time)

LA MONTECARLO
Vicolo Savelli 12, Piazza Navona
(my mouth waters when I think of this one! I had the best pizza ever here and it is so cheap)

Have a great honeymoon!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 12:12 PM

HI
there are great, past, (not too old) threads here on Roman dining. Try a search here on Rome restaurant.
Also go to Destinations here at fodors.com, go to Rome restaurants, read the Rants and Raves comments from past customers.
One of the ones you will read about is
La Tartaruga--it's "my" little gem.
I guess I'm kind of a foodie myself.
La Tartaruga is small, plain, warm and inviting, simple but excellent food, wines by the bottle or by the glass, family owned and operated. About a 15 minute walk from the Pantheon or Piazza Navona.
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 12:34 PM

I totally agree with Jennifer. My husband I were in Rome last week and Il Bacaro and Le Montecarlo were 2 of our favorites. Montecarlo has a great tossed salad with lots of cheese and marinated mushrooms, their pizza is great and they are CHEAP. I would add Myosotis to the list. Address: Via della Viccarella 3/5, Piazza Navona. It's one block up from Il Bacaro. It doesn't open until 8pm and reservations are necessary. Their rack of lamb is amazing - cooked rare and crusted with herbs. Hubby said it was the best lamb he ever ate, including in New Zealand!

We found gelato can be tricky. Lots of mediocre places. Fruit flavors can be very artificial-tasting. For example, the huge, often-recommended gelato place near the Pantheon (La Palma, I think) had a terrible wild strawberry and a mediocre mango. In general, I found that limone (lemon) tends to be done well, often with pieces of rind - very refreshing.

Bon appetito!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 12:47 PM

If I rememebr correctly there is a gelatorria called Blue ICe - looks pretty tacky, but is very good. The one we went to a lot was near Campo Fiori

If you want some heavy hitting advice, go to the forums on www.eGullet.com - those guys are good.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 02:47 AM

...great food? try Tullio close to via Veneto (book a table a couple of days in advance, it's always full, not touristic at all, full of local people take reccomandation from mr Gianni, The owner, he's very nice!), after dinner you can try a very small piano bar called Jackie O' it's in via Boncompagni 11... for a gelato there is a nice gelateria close to fontana di trevi they make the Pinoli gelato that is to die for!

.. there is also another restaurant that you cannot miss I don't know about food because I've never eaten there but you have to see it, it's close to piazza di spagna, exactly behind the Amex building if I rememer well the name is La Strada walk in and ask for a tour of the restaurant... while you do it look at the ceiling!!
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 03:26 AM

I found the little restaurants across the river (Trrestaverri) are fabulous. We lived in Piazza Farnese, crossed at the nearest bridge and basically just ate att he first rest. that looked good. This, as I recall, is the artsy area and food is good.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 04:42 AM

We had a great meal at the Sabatini restaurant in the Trestavere section. Reservations are essential.