Need opinions on these Paris hotels

Feb 1st, 2011, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Need opinions on these Paris hotels

Hi all,

Pls help! Mom, 64, and daughter, 32, are looking for a flawless accommodation that meets our budget and requirements.
- Budget per room per night: 200-250 Euro max, incl of tax.
- Location: Louvre. Considering Rue Cler area if got better value. Marais too hippie?
- Chain hotels preferred due to their housekeeping & maintenance standards. But why 3 & 4 star chain hotels in Paris got an awful place on Tripadivisor? Looks like local hotels do lots better.
- Requirements are for the basic stuffs: quiet, clean, with hot shower and good internet signal. don't mind small room but need an ok view.

What do you think of these? (all close to a metro station)
- 4th on Tripadvisor: Gramont Opera (rooms not so nice but great service)
- 23rd: Hotel Britannique
- 248th: L'Empire Paris (nice rooms but service not quite good)
- 405th: Westin Paris (imo nice rooms. most expensive. worst ranking.)

Thought of Albe near St. Michel, Citadines St. Germain and nicer hotels near Parc Luxembourg but as we plan to spend our evenings in the Louvre, D'Orsay and do cruise from Pont Neuf and Illumation Tour from somewhere near Louvre, so Louvre for now is our priority unless we cannot find a nice place within our budget.

Other hotels recommendations (in convenient locations for tourists) are most appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Feb 1st, 2011, 07:41 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Britannique some time ago and liked it. It has since been renovated and is nicer yet, however it's a ways from the Louvre. There are many closer.
While the Albe looks nice it is smack dab in the middle of the area on the left bank filled with cheap restaurants and lots of tourist traffic. They may have glazed windows but I think you'd be asking for a noise problem.

Have you checked the Booking.com site. You can click a map of a hotel you like and it will show all their other represented properties in the same area. There are several nice hotels directly by the Louvre. Friends of mine stayed at the Hotel du Louvre and friends of my friends stayed at the Hotel Royal St. Honore. Both are very close to the Louvre and look very nice.

I think that hotels in the upper brackets and especially chain hotels at those prices have people with higher expectations staying at them. They are accordingly less likely to overlook even small things and therefore to give lower scores when small things go wrong--that folks with more reasonable expectations would overlook completely in a less pricey hotel. Just my theory but I stand by it.
Feb 1st, 2011, 07:48 AM

Definitely not the Albe - its in a horrid location that will have tonnes of noise most of the night. There are loads of greek tourist retaurants around smashing plates etc.

Cant help more because you are out of my price range.
Feb 1st, 2011, 07:56 AM

If you search this forum there are 2 threads going for Right Bank Hotels & Left Bank Hotels. This might be helpful.
Feb 1st, 2011, 08:12 AM

Ditto the Brittanique. we stayed there about 3 weeks ago, and were very pleased. although the room was not the biggest, [we were in the cheapest room available, so we expected that; we didn't see any of the more expensive rooms which I assume are bigger] there was enough room to move comfortably round the bed, we had a minibar and tea-making facilities, and a nice view across the roofs - there was even a balcony we could have used if it hadn't been january. Staff were very helpful and friendly - the receptionist volunteered an umbrella when it was tipping down on our first night without our even asking.

the bathroom was very well designed - an overbath shower that did not swamp the rest of the bathroom, bathrobes provided, spotlessly clean and lots of towels.

it is no more than 100 yards from the metro [line no 1 which will take you closer to the Louvre] and a "correspondance" to the RER B, though that's a bit of a trek. Very safe, very nice area with several restaurants no more than a spit away. if you click on my screen-name you can see my trip report.

have a good trip!
Feb 1st, 2011, 08:12 AM

I'd wager that most people here do not stay in chain hotels and are satisfied with the level of room maintenance.

Try the above mentioned jumbo trheads, they are useful.

I'd look beyond the Louvre area. Not that it is bad, but I think you might find the 4/5/6th nicer. Either way, depending on your plans, you will probably need to travel a bit.

The 4th is not hippy, just a bit less staid than say...Rue Cler. Don't be put off from staying there!

Ile St Louis might work...
http://www.paris-hotel-lutece.com/ht...ris-hotel.com/
Feb 1st, 2011, 09:01 AM

I think you are placing too much emphasis on Tripadvisor ratings. I read them a lot for comments, etc., but not for rankings and am not sure what you are calling a chain or not. I've had plenty of nice hotels in France that were chains, I often stay in one of the Accor hotels (which is a very wellknown French hotel group -- Mercure or Sofitel, etc). Best Westerns are a chain to some people, but that's just a consortium of independent hotels (which is what some other hotel groups are, also). Marriott and Westin are a little different, they often build their own. Holiday Inn and Comfort also just get local hotels to sign up with them, and those hotels have existed for years and are just like other small independent hotels, for the most part. I also like the French chain Libertel, if it still exists.

In any case, I ust don't go along with your methods for choosing hotels or the comments. The Marais is hardly hippy, ha ha, one of the most expensive, trendy areas of Paris, and not in a hippy way.

Comments on your choices -- the Albe may be fine but it is a very noisy location (although convenient for many tourists). But I don't know their room situations which maybe you can tell from comments, but if you had a room not facing the street, what's the point -- well, it would be convenient, true.

Citadines is not a hotel, it's a modern chain of aparthotels which have a kitchenette and very bland, modern rooms. Now that may suit you, but it's not a regular hotel.

I don't know the exact locations you have, but don't expect wonderful views in most city locations. I know the views of the Britannique and Albe and neither would wow me, but not sure what you are expecting. They are views of a street -- the Albe a very busy congested street, the Brittanique a quiet sidestreet (mostly, but there is nothing special to look at there).
Feb 1st, 2011, 09:07 AM

sorry, I didn't quite follow your logic on the chains. YOu prefer chains because you think housekeeping and standards are better. I don't know, there might be something to that in some ways, I agree. Supposedly a hotel has to meet some standards to be in the chain. But I have had a lot of nice non-chain hotels, you just do have to really read reviews and know what you are getting.

Why not the Parc Luxembourg if you like that area? It's nice enough. Or try the Parc St Severin and the Grands Hommes or Pantheon, they are nice enough.
http://www.hoteldupantheon.com/
http://www.paris-hotel-parcsaintseverin.com/en/

The Parc St Severin is in a small "group" (chain if you will, Esprit de France) which has very nice hotels in my experience, I often stay in one of them, so that might meet your criteria. Check out the others in their group, that have some in various locations.

There is a Best Western in St Germain, the Left Bank, which is supposed to be very nice.
Feb 1st, 2011, 09:11 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ank-thread.cfm

Here's a right bank hotel thread.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ank-thread.cfm

And a left bank hotel thread.

Happy hunting.
Feb 1st, 2011, 09:38 AM

Yellowluggage, We stayed for 4 days at the Hotel Des Grandes Ecoles, 5th ARR.Almost at the corner of Rue Mouffettard.

We enjoyed our stay there..At night because of the garden that surround the hotel and also because is located in a quiet small street, is very quite and you are able to forget that you actually are in a busy city.

http://hotel-grandes-ecoles.com/
Feb 1st, 2011, 09:53 AM

I wonder if part of the discrepancy between hotel star ratings and TripAdvisor ratings may be a difference in the expectation of what the hotel rating system indicates.

Unlike in the US, a 4 star rating doesn't necessarily equate to high quality. It means that the hotel has met certain standards as far as what is offered but doesn't necessarily address how well it met those standards. So, it's possible to have a very nice, clean, 2 star hotel and a not-so-nice, dirty 4 star hotel, because the 2 star doesn't have, say, room service or elevators and the 4 star does.

Try this link for more info: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ng-systems.cfm
Feb 1st, 2011, 10:11 AM

As one writer said, the star system in France measures quantity, not quality.

If you had less that 7 rooms for example, of high opulance and excessive service, you would not rate a star.

I've stayed at chains (Sofitel at airport...nice+++) as well as basic chain (Timhotel), but I do no search out chains as my first choice.
Feb 1st, 2011, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for these are very good comments.

JULIEVICKMANIS: I will take a look at Hotel du Louvre and Hotel Royal St. Honore. Thank you. And yeah I agree with you about the expectation people (me included) have for chain hotels. I just rated Marina Bay Sands in Singapore 3 out of 5 because of the service.

JAMIKINS: ok, Albe crossed out! Hee hee…

SUE878 and TPAYT : Ive read both links and they got loads of info.

ANNHIG: thanks for your review. Makes me a lot more relieved and no doubt why the hotel got good ranking.

MICHAEL_PARIS: Thank you for the ideas.

CHRISTINA: Yeah I hate myself for sticking too much on Tripadvisor ratings. And coming from Asia, I’m most familiar with chain hotels (Intercontinental, Sofitel, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Renaissance, Peninsula etc ) and experienced just a little problem.

Anyway in Europe the choices are out of my budget and I also want to get the feel of Paris and stay in a local hotel. I will look at the hotels you suggested. Thank you very much for your ideas.

KISMETCHIMERA: I like your screen name! I’ve heard nice comments about this hotel but haven’t checked it out. Thank you.

GOAWAY & MICHAEL_PARIS: Ahh that explains it! I’m quite appalled to realize that if I stick to my logic of choosing a hotel, i could get a 4-stars with a bad service. Merci!
Feb 1st, 2011, 06:34 PM
mms

We stayed at the Britannique a couple years ago and loved it! We had 2 rooms, one was fairly small but the other was quite roomy. No complaints whatsoever about the hotel or the location. We were there for 5 nights and I would not hesitate to stay there again or to recommend it. We will be back this summer, and will be in an apt as the Britannique would stretch the budget too much this time. BTW, we walked to the Louvre very easily from there and didn't think it was too far. It was myself, teenage DD, and my mother, FWIW.
Feb 1st, 2011, 06:56 PM

I'd love to make a recommendation, but the requirement for "flawless" makes me uneasy, so I won't.

I WILL add that the hotel star rating in France is indeed different and should be investigated. It ain't apples to apples.
Feb 1st, 2011, 10:37 PM

I second kismetchimera I have stayed at Hotel Grandes Ecoles twice before and agree it is a delightful place to spend time and close to restaurants etc.
Feb 2nd, 2011, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

MMS: Thanks for your inputs! Glad hearing nice things about the hotel. When I'm more familiar with Paris, I'd also want to rent an apartment too. Actually have seen some very nice and spacious apartments from myparisvisit.com.

STCIRQ: Appreciate your opinion, which clarifies my long time doubt, and I will change my way of classing and choosing a hotel.

JENNYWREN58: The hotel looks lovely! It will remind us when we wake up each morning that we are in Paris =-)

Have a good day/evening everyone.
Feb 2nd, 2011, 04:46 AM

When I book usually through www.betterbidding.com

Search "Paris" bidding Priceline.

Usually can pick up Top Quality 4 stars like the Westin

around the Louvre area from $180 www.spg.com membership

will get you a suite upgrade sometimes or best available.

Meridiens are nice not "flawless" but picked up the Etoile

not long ago close to the Champs for $80 a great 4 * deal.

So might check and book there always save a tonne.

Happy Journey,
Feb 2nd, 2011, 04:50 AM

About 2 years ago on www.hotwire.com picked up the

Paris Hilton on the left bank for $110/nt

As an Honors member got a suite upgrade with a Tour Eiffel

view for that price up close a pretty suite sweet deal...

So Happy Hunting there are deals out there.
Feb 8th, 2011, 07:54 AM

After extensive research I choose this one for our stay last May and I was SOOO glad I did. Outstanding location, outstanding service, lovely rooms. http://www.luxembourg-paris-hotel.co...ion_en_00.html