A nice yet cheap hotel in Paris?

May 16th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Eric

A nice yet cheap hotel in Paris?

I know that is vague but for Paris standards, what is your suggestion for a nice yet affordable hotel in a safe area? 4 Star and above would be nice. Thanks SO much!

May 16th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Eric

Let me be more specific. No more than $150 a night. (Sorry about the 4 star thing...some hotels in the US have 5 star rating) Thanks!

May 16th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Christina

there are some 4-star hotels in that price range, usually not in the prime locations, that's all. I think you may presume no hotel but a four-star is "nice", however, and that is very wrong. 4-stars isn't that common in Parisian hotels, I think you may not be aware that their system is official ratings by the govt, not the inflated system you may have seen in the US somewhere in a nonofficial status.

That is rather cheap even for the nicest 3-stars in Paris, but I think the Hotel St Gregoire in St-Germain has rooms in that rough range, and it is a 4-star (recently, used to be 3). I also think the 4-star Hotel Tourville in the 7th had rooms in that rate. Be advised that if you have a room at that price level, it will likely be the standard or lower-quality room. There are different philosophies on this, but if I had that kind of budget, I'd rather spend it on a nice 3-star and get a superior room (and even many of them in top areas are more expensive than that) than the cheapest room in a 4-star.

May 16th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Mike B

I have two suggestions...each very nice, well located and "reasonable" but very different from one another. The "Parc St. Severin" is located on the Left Bank near Place St. Michel. Try to arrange the Room on the top floor for an unparalleled view of Notre Dame. The second is the Hotel Normandy on the Right Bank about one block behind the Louvre. Both hotels have fantastice locations. The Severin is more of a "boutique" hotel...intimate with a friendly but not intrusive staff. The Normandy is more in the style of the Grand Old World hotel...large, opulent with a large, attentive staff. Enjoy your trip!!

May 16th, 2002, 12:40 PM
tere

We just went to Paris in March. The hotels can be quite expensive and you could get a tiny room. I recommend Hotel Brighton--most value for your money. It is directly in front of the Tulieres Garden, which sits in front of the Louvre. Excellent location. We paid 147 euros (about $135) and got a huge (by Paris standards) room with a huge bathroom, two sitting chairs and a small balcony which had a glorious view of the Louvre, the Eiffle Tower, etc. They are doing some revovations. Our room was not yet renovated but still fine. The renovated suites go for 215 euros and are super nice. Good luck and check out Angelina's a few doors down for pastries, chocolate and lunch.

May 16th, 2002, 12:42 PM
jmaytin

I have stayed in Paris many times, near the Champes de Elysee but I now prefer the Rue de Rivoli, 1 block from the museums , across the street from the metro & u can walk thru the gardens Hotel Brighton (read about it in a travel mag.) rooms in the back seemed more spacious (about $100 per night--next to the $500 a night hotel..Frommer recommended Hotel Honore(very inexpensive) but I couldn't get reservations; totally booked

May 16th, 2002, 12:45 PM
love

hotel home latin - latin quarter - near notre dame and the sorbonne

May 16th, 2002, 12:50 PM
jmaytin

I have stayed in Paris many times, near the Champes de Elysee but I now prefer the Rue de Rivoli, 1 block from the museums , across the street from the metro & u can walk thru the gardens Hotel Brighton (read about it in a travel mag.) rooms in the back seemed more spacious (about $100 per night--next to the $500 a night hotel..Frommer recommended Hotel Honore(very inexpensive) but I couldn't get reservations; totally booked. Also, some day trips besides Versailles & Chartres I can take by train. Have been to Bayeax & Normandy beaches. Have seen most of museums in Paris.Have been to Jim Morrison's grave & antique district.

May 16th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Beth

In April, daughter and I stayed at the Hotel du quai Voltaire for 122 Euros per night (about $105?). We had a good size room with twin beds (edge to edge), two desk units, two chairs, and a huge wall unit with rod, shelving and drawers, plus room for the suitcases on top. There was even a little entry area as you came into the room. The bath was quite large - sink, bidet, toilet along the wall, and tub at back wall. There have been mixed reviews on this hotel which is why I am being so specific. The desk clerks were helpful, some even pleasant with that French sense of humor. The women who did the rooms and served in the breakfast area were all smiles and welcoming. Breakfast was a small menu, with the roll/baguette/cafe going for about 8 Euros. Eggs and cereal were also available. We were on the (American) 4th floor and our floor to ceiling windows opened onto the Seine and the Louvre directly across. It was clean and the location was wonderful. The drawback was that it is in a art gallery/antique area, and a few blocks walk to any "charming" cafes on the street. Great though for running all a.m., popping back in for a short break, and then out again. You do have to walk across the bridge to the right bank to catch the metro (what a chore to have to cross the Seine and past the Louvre every day). Rue du Bac was just two blocks away, and a fortune could be spent prowling that street. And, yes there was some traffic noise, but it acted as an automatic wake up in the a.m. - when the commute started, it was time to be up and out!

May 16th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Beth

Not to belabor the Voltaire, but when I told the clerk that the phone in my room was not operating, it had been replaced by the time we returned that afternoon. I was certainly impressed.

May 16th, 2002, 01:55 PM
sally

I too stayed at the Brighton Hotel. My room was extremely spacious with high ceilings, balcony and a large bathroom. It faced the Tuileries. I loved it. Staff was wonderful. I was there during 9/11 and they were extremely kind and thoughtful to everyone.

May 16th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Dave

I stayed at a hotel near the Sorbonne, the english translation for the hotel was hotel of the three colleges. It was a nice hotel, not large and the rooms were very nice. I had a triple room and the rate was $117US.

May 16th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Diane

We stayed at Grand Hotel des Balcons in the 7th. Absolutely perfect for us. Wonderful area for restaurants and a short walk to the Metro. (L'Odeon) Expect to pay about 90Euros per night. (We had a slightly lower rate, but had made reservations back in October!) Monica recommends this place often, and we have thanked her several times already! Their breakfast buffet is 10euro each, but HUGE and you can get as much coffee as you want. We had a room on the 5th floor -- took the elevator up, but walked down the cute circular stairway. We were there a week and would definitely stay there again.

May 16th, 2002, 09:37 PM
Debbie

Eric, If you can get in contact with the USO in Paris, ask them if any hotels are running specials. They hooked us up with the Novatel in Creitel, just outside of Paris. The rooms were large with a bed and couch bed, free parking and walking distance to the metro. This was before the end of April for $65 a night. This was a while back but just an example if you need assistance with deals at good hotels. The USO also sold discounted tickets for attractions. Good luck.

May 17th, 2002, 03:03 AM
goodluck

Hi

Recently stayed at le Tourville. paid extra to get a 220? room and it was tiny. I cant imagine how tiny the 170? room was. Staff were wonderful, location great but paris is dearer than London by miles for good accomation so expect little in terms of facilities and space.

I realise that room size isnt everything but for th equivalent of 250 dollars one would expect space to put even one suitcase and there asn't even that. Dont get me wrong we had a great trip but be warned!

We paid an extra 80? to stay somewhere special the last night- I know its not cheap at 300? but we were stunned by the difference- we got an amazing huge hotel in an even better area. Tourville was fine but Id rather spend one night less and stay somewhere better. easy to say as we are Europe based so thats easy to do but there it is, imho.