Need a Paris Hotel

Search

Need a Paris Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a Paris Hotel

Will be spending three nights in Paris in May '08. Looking for a clean, centrally located moderate hotel. Does anyone know how far (and approx. cost) from the CDG airport to the center of the city. Appreciate any info. Thanks
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 09:21 AM

hi, looks like you're a bit 'new' to the Europe forum... It always helps if you give a price range you're hoping to pay for a hotel, and for how many in the room...
You can also enter "paris" in the search and pull up many recent threads, asking this familiar question.

From CDG, you can take a taxi, shuttle, the Air France bus, the Roissybus or the train. The more 'convenient' the method, the higher the cost. They all tend to take about 35-45 minutes unless traffic is horrible. Taxis average 45-55E, shuttles average 18-22E per person, AF bus about 13E pp, Roissybus and the RER about 8E pp. The RER ticket includes transferring into the metro from any RER-B station to get closer to the hotel address.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 10:58 AM

Hi
I'm not sure what "moderate" means to you, but one hotel I often recommend is Hotel Delavigne #1 rue Casimir Delavigne, 6th, metro Odeon. The hotel was lovely, fresh, modern but charming, etc. I stayed with a friend in a twin room, #24 Decor was very
pretty and in pristine condition. Fully carpeted. Bathrooms have built-in hairdryers. Shampoo,
body wash, shower cap provided. In-room safe, and radio. There are shower curtains. Satellite tv with two English stations, CNN and BBC. Note that hotel Delavigne does not have air conditioning. We also peeked into some rooms that were being serviced; some of their standard double rooms appeared to be very very small. But, these were also fresh and pretty and in perfect condition. The hotel brochure mentioned that each room is different, and that may also mean that there is a lot of size variation.

We had a balcony (not a terrace, a balcony) facing the street, no problem with street noise. Rue Delavigne is only one block long and it’s a one-way street, and in fact a couple of our cab drivers had trouble finding it when we were heading home after dinner.
Hotel breakfast (extra charge): we were each offered a glass of
freshly-squeezed fruit juice (choice of grapefruit or orange--small glass, but delicious!) a very large and
absolutely wonderful croissant, must have been direct from a great bakery, a generous piece of baguette
and a slice of toasted brioche, jam and butter, good cafe au lait. The basement stone-walled breakfast room was down a stone spiral staircase, and is tiny. The elevator does go down to that level. Breakfast has to be ordered the night before. They would also deliver it to our room if preferred.

Hotel lobby very pretty and comfortable, with newspapers to read, including Herald Tribune and USA
Today. Off-premises laundry and dry cleaning can be arranged. Everything about this hotel was upscale--staff presentation, decor, ambience, etc. Close to Luxembourg RER stop (straight run from CDG RER stop). Check tripadvisor.com for guest reviews.
hoteldelavigne.com is the hotel's website.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 05:15 PM

I highly recommend hotel Albe in the 5th. Great, no not great "awesome" location right off ST-Michel blvd. Great rates wonderful staff and close to all sites. I will be staying their again the end of November. I used to stay at the K&K Cayre in the 6th also a wonderful hotel for the price and quality of the Albe it can't be beat IMO. Check the web-site. Sorry I don't have it Google Albe hotel Paris. Enjoy Paris It's a beautiful city.
Scott
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 05:14 PM

I second Hotel Delavigne. I've never stayed there, but I did stop in and ask to see a room. They were SO nice and the room was perfectly adequate. I like the location a lot.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 06:32 PM

I stayed near the Delavigne at Grand Hotel des Balcons. It is a couple doors away. I loved the location. If I recall, Balcons rate was a little less than the Delavigne. The one drawback to the Balcons, for me, was no AC. That may not be an issue for you. The price (last I checked) for a double is in the 110E range.

It would help to know your definition of "moderate hotel" and whether you are looking for a single or double.

If you are taking a taxi, the price will be in the neighborhood of 50 Euro. Do a search here for Paris shuttle - that should give you lots of opinions and approximate costs comparing taxi to shuttle to train.

There is a lot of Paris info here, there is a really helpful post titled "Paris Superthread". You should be able to find it with a search. If I run across it, I'll top it for you.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 06:35 PM

oops - forgot the url:
http://www.paris-hotel-grandbalcons.com/

here's the superthread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34519236
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the info...especially the super thread. I now have my work cut out for me.