Hotel Langlois in Paris

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Langlois in Paris

I will be going to Paris for the first time Feb 19. I will be traveling by myself (50 year old single woman) as I always do. I have been to Europe before many times, mostly Italy, but this will be my first time in Paris. I made a reservation at Hotel Langlois because of the glowing recommendations listed on Travel Advisor. There are so many I'm almost afraid its too good to be true. There is an occasional review which is totally opposite of the normal love fest and those people really hate it. So I'm asking everyone here if they have anything to say about this hotel, good or bad as I'm alittle unsure about all the glowing recommendations on Travel Advisor. thanks
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 03:08 PM

It really is a well-regarded hotel. The location is closer to the large department stores but I have read comments here from other satisfied guests.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 03:34 PM

Don't forget, too, that the Hôtel Langlois was featured in The Truth about Charlie! My friend, Kristin, & I very nearly stayed in this hotel in '02. I wish we had now, we might've seen some of the filming.

jellybeana, you are entering Paris as I am leaving! I leave the 19th at around 11am.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:16 PM

We stayed at Hotel Langlois last May (also based upon TripAdvisor reviews) and just loved it! We thought our room huge, and were advised that we could have had an even larger room had we not preferred the view of Sacre Coeur from our window.

This is by no means a "fancy" hotel, but everything is quite nice. Bathroom brand new. Meticulous housekeeping. Lots and lots of very charming touches. Wonderful to have a larger than mini (EMPTY) fridge! There's even (limited, beverages, snacks, etc.) room service with reasonable prices! Wonderful continental breakfast spread.

The head lady at the front desk (and all other front desk personnel) could not have been nicer or more helpful.

Feel free to e-mail me [email protected] and I'll be happy to forward notes regarding places nearby, restaurants, bus/metro tips, etc.

I really cannot think of any negatives.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. You're right Beatchick, we are both going to be coming and going at the same time. I leave chicago 2/18 but get at CDG 2/19 at 9:20am on American, Its a small world
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 04:39 AM

Dear jellybeana,

I would really hate to spoil the fun, but my parents just got back from their stay in Hotel Langlois, and they had such a miserable experience that I feel I have to share it with you. Their hotel room was robbed during their stay and the hotel managed this incident very poorly. We are still investigating the matter, but they have not been compensated for their loss to this day and it seems like such an expensive stay for a 2-star hotel when you factor in their loss, not to mention the stress factor. I would stay away by all means.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 05:15 AM

That is horrible about the robbery!

We stayed there last May and had a nice time. It is by no means a 5-star joint, but it was charming, clean, and comfortable. I asked the front desk lady how they got the armoire into our room (tiny elevator, winding staircase, gigantic armoire) and she said she had no idea, it was probably done 80 years ago.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 04:22 PM

I would point out to all that above is the ONE and ONLY post on this forum by "bluedevil".

When we stayed at Hotel Langlois, NO ONE got past the front desk and up the stairs without first retrieving a room key (meaning they were checked into the hotel). The staircases are open and the staff is all about all during the day. Doors were locked overnight, requiring guests to be recognized and buzzed in.

When we checked out of Hotel Langlois, we stayed in an apartment. We were admonished to always lock the windows when we left the apartment; told that many thieves enter over the rooftops and through the windows.

If, indeed, any robbery did take place, one can only wonder how the hotel (with an otherwise fine reputation) is supposed to "handle" an alleged robbery.

I'd be curious to know what items were robbed. We always secure any valuables in the room or hotel safe.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:18 PM

Of course this report of bluedevil is highly suspect.

We stayed at Hotel Langlois last fall and were entirely charmed and pleased with everything. The room, the staff, the location.

Everyone (who knows better) knows that getting robbed anywhere in Europe is a definite possibility if you don't know what you're doing and are not paying attention.

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 04:09 AM

I just read the replies by djkbooks and lizanne. It is correct that this is my first post in Fodor's. The reason for that is I only write in forums as such when I have an extraordinary incident or experience to report (like this one) rather than just write on any travel forum each time my family travels (and we travel all the time). Luckily, we do not come across negative travel experiences like this one that often (in fact this is the first hotel theft in our many years of traveling.)

Now, anyone is free to choose any hotel they like. However, dealing with this situtation and the hotel management's handling caused so much stress in my family that I felt it was my duty to share this experience with others who may choose to stay at this hotel. Again, you are free to think and act as you like.

Before I go any further, I would like to point out that my parents' almost entire wardrobe got stolen during the trip including many luxury brand items that you cannot necessarily fit into a safe. Some of these items were bought during their trip in Paris including luxury handbags and footwear. The robbery took place on the day before their departure.

I believe the following sheds some light into the incident:

My parents entered the room one evening to find it all messed up and realized many of their belongings were missing from the room. They called the reception which then informed the manager. The manager apologized and told them they would compensate my parents for whatever was stolen. My parents said they would like to inform the authorities and make an official statement to the police. The manager told them this is unnecessary and asked them to make a list of stolen items. The next day, when he found out the total value of the missing goods, he proceeded to the closest bank and came back with a copy of a swift message for X Euros (total value of the stolen items) allowing no arguments or discontent on their part. The case seemed to be settled and closed. That day, my parents flew to London, relieved. When they came back home, they found out that the manager recalled the money without even informing them. They were told to deal with the insurance company. Well, as the hotel manager had told them that it was unnecessary to call the police and issue an official statement, they were in no position to recover the total value of the goods from the insurance company. They had a wrong start. Had the hotel manager not provided them with the bank receipt showing X euros were transferred to their account the next day, their approach would have been more professional and official.

They have been robbed and deceived by the hotel management.

My family has faced tremendous stress in dealing with this hotel theft situation. As I mentioned before, the hotel's management of the situation was far more stressful for us than the incident itself. This will be my last message in this forum regarding the incident. Please make your own decision accordingly.

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 01:00 AM

I saw the review that was posted on Tripadvisor about the incident Blue Devil (good name) refers to and I wrote to the hotel to tell it that it should look at the review and post a response if it disagreed. I said I found it hard to believe as the hotel has such good reviews. The hotel wrote back to me last night, mistaking me for tripadvisor - thinking they were seeking a response. I wrote back today and explained who I was and told them how to send what they had sent me to Tripadvisor to put their position. What the hotel wrote to me puts a different complexion on Blue Devil's complaint. The email they sent me was marked confidential so I will not copy it but, thinking I was tripadvisor, they asked that if the review could not be deleted, could the following reply be posted. Since it was intended to be posted publicly, I think it is ok to do so here too in view of Blue Devil's slander:

"The day before the departure of our client, I was told over the phone on Sunday at 6.30pm about the robbery. I immediately went to the hotel and I was told by the customers that the amount of the loss was 1500 €.
We checked by the computer any entries to their room other than housekeeping but there were none.

They wrote a statement and I told them I would give it to the insurance company the following day. We suggested them to go to the Police Station. If they wanted they could have gone to the Police station to get a statement.

However, I told them I would pay the amount of 1500€ and ask the insurance company to get the money back. I didn’t know the exact insurance policy because this was the first time we were facing a robbery problem and wanted to satisfy the customers as soon as possible. But on Monday my insurance company told me that the customer could get the money back but that I was not the one to pay.
The following day the customers said me it was a loss of 3000€ .

However, I did the money transfer on their account and they left the hotel to catch their plane. I immediately called the insurance company who told me that I was not supposed to pay the customers but that they would do it after investigating. The insurance company opened a file (file no: HDS0601011 at 9/01/2006) for their case because in a robbery case in a hotel the customer has the right to get his money back, and our customer had that right and still has it.
So we asked to our bank to get back the money and informed the customers the insurance company would pay them. They finally agreed to send this money back to us on the 27th of January by sending me the swift stating the money transfer was made.

The insurance company asked the list of stolen goods with each items’ bill but the customer told he didn’t remember where and when he bought these goods because he said he didn’t remember and didn’t keep the bills.
We told our insurance company and the company told us we didn’t have to interfere any more and that they will contact the customer themselves.

The listing of entries in rooms on our computer is confidential and we had to send it to the insurance company. The list of entries stated that there was no other entry but the housekeeping.

The customer told us he didn’t wanted to be in contact with the insurance company but wanted us (the hotel) to pay them directly the amount (we can state that with the customer mails)

As we can’t legally pay him the amount of his loss, the letter written on The trip advisor website is a response to the impossibility he has to get the money back from us.

We are still waiting the insurance company’s investigations and we will protect our rights.

No one can accuse anybody of theft. Everyone is free to write what he wants but is responsible for what he says and its consequences. We are preserving our rights and claims due to any damage which could be arise on the prestige of our hotel."

So Blue Devil, it seems there is more than one side to your story and I prefer the hotel's.

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 05:07 AM

I believe there was a thread here about false comments being posted at Trip Advisor. I've spotted quite a few in passing. But this one regarding theft could pass for a genuine comment. I can't think of how many people who have read the Trip Advisor review and changed their minds about staying at the Langlois. The hotel has always had an excellent reputation. Therefore, bluedevil's story sounded shocking. As it turned out bluedevil did not tell the whole story.

It's sad to know that some people would not care about ruining a well-regarded hotel's reputation just so that they can make some easy money.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 12:18 PM

<<Doors were locked overnight, requiring guests to be recognized and buzzed in.>>

Will it be difficult to get into our room at night? We will be staying at this hotel for two nights in March. We expect to return very late both nights, after attending concerts at La Grand Rex and La Boule Noire. Does anyone have late night experiences been at this hotel??
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 12:41 PM

Of course, you will be able to get into the hotel. In fact, it's good that the hotel locks its doors so that just no one can enter unnoticed. All you need to do is inform staff that you're going out and to expect you to return very late.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 02:58 PM

There was always someone at the desk. If they weren't there, then they were in the bathroom or some such place and they returned quickly.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:32 PM

There's a large double doorway entrance with a buzzer to the right. When you buzz, whoever is on duty (and someone is on duty all night) at the front desk will buzz you in. There's a clear view of the entire doorway from the front desk.

As with most Paris hotels, you are asked to leave your room key at the front desk while you are out.

As for the tale of the alleged robbery - there are just too many details that make no sense and/or do not add up. AND, one can only wonder why anyone possessing "luxury items" as collecting them in their travels would be staying at a moderately priced 2*.

Oddly, the tale above and the review on TripAdvisor seem to have been written by the same individual, though supposedly it was only the parents who stayed at Hotel Langlois.