Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris: Hotel Acte V - comments on the hotel OR location?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2010, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to stay at this hotel (possibly) for our 2 full days in Paris. We are trying to work within a budget. I liked this hotel bc it is in the Latin Quarter - being a young couple, prefer to be able to eat and/or go out at night close to the hotel.

For anyone who has stayed there, what was your experience? For those who have not stayed there but are familiar with Paris and the general area, can you provide you input as to whether or not this location is okay. We are first timers and plan on seeing the Eifel Tower, Notre Dame, St. Chapelle etc.

The address is 55 Rue Monge, 75005 Paris, France and the reviews say it is close to line 7 and line 10; a 5 minute walk from Rue Mouffetad; and 10 minute walk to Notre Dame.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 07:02 PM

Many Fodorites would remember this hotel as the old Hotel Monge which received wonderful reviews owing to the working owner Julie that was always there. New ownership and refreshed interiors led to a rather steep rise in prices. I have not stayed there since 2005 and only when it was Hotel Monge. A handy grocery store, boulangerie, cafes, are in the immediate area as well as the popular market street you have mentioned Rue Mouffetard.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 03:52 AM

Hello,

I heard about this hotel. I don't know exactly how is it but I heard about that rooms aren't very good like on the website. I prefer recommend you the Five Hotel, in the Latin quarter in the 5th. I stayed on it. It's a good hotel.http://www.thebestboutiquehotels.com
Place monge is a nice quarter, I suggest to go to visit the Arabic World Institute and the Mosquee of Paris. Very beautiful. After, you could taste some arabic pastery. So delicious
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 04:33 AM

I just spent 5 nights here and also stayed here when it was Hotel Monge. The updates are very nice, I like the new look. They now have a bar and you can buy a drink to have there or in your room. I was in a triple room, we were crowded but expected that. The bathroom was newly remodeled. The staff was very helpful - they helped with directions, making dinner reservations, and always pleasant. We had a room on the streetside and the street is kind of busy during the night - but they have A/C so we could just shut the windows at night. The location is good, close to 2 metro lines and an easy walk to Notre Dame. I recommend it!
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 04:36 AM

I stayed at Acte V for several nights in fall 2009. I was happy with my decision. The location was great - close to 2 Metro stops, outdoor markets nearby which was great when I wanted to buy fresh fruit and leave it in the room, other mini markets, many bakeries and restaurants nearby to choose from (although we really didn't have meals in any of them).

Our room was small and nothing special, but it was fine considering we spent most of our waking hours outside the hotel. You'd open the window and it would touch the bed, open the bathroom door it would touch the bed, pull a drawer and it would touch the bed. I know some rooms are bigger so maybe paying more gets you more. The bathroom was not tiny overall but the shower was really tight. I think you can ask for room with a tub and hopefully that would be better. I did love having the street view and standing on the balcony watching Paris wake up.

Any interaction I had with the hotel staff before and during my stay was great. They were cordial and I have no complaints about them.

Did not take the breakfast plan so can't comment there.

I think it's a great option for first timers to Paris who don't want to spend lots of money on a hotel.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your feedback. I booked it!