Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Britannique (Paris) - yea or nay???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good afternoon!

I have a quick question for those of you who know Paris well. Would you stay in Paris' Hotel Britannique?

My husband and I will spend two nights in Paris in late October following a 4 night stay in Rome. We're celebrating our 15th anniversary and our very first trip - ever - to Europe. Actually, it's our very first trip - ever - that requires a passport!

Hotel Britannique intrigues us but we have absolutely no frame of reference. Any advice is wanted and much appreciated. We also inquired at Hotel Les Degres de Notre Dame but are still debating the whole arrondisement decision. We're in our late 30s/early 40s and will love the chance to wander, explore, and sleep very little.

In Rome, just as an aside, we're staying at the Best Pantheon B&B.

We're very excited, to say the least!

Thank you,
D
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I have never heard any complaints about the Hôtel Britannique, and the location is ideal, as far as I am concerned, if you want to be in the center of things.

I only saw one of the rooms once when German friends were visiting Paris, but it was so long ago that anything I might say about it is no longer valid.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:49 PM

A definite yay!!! We (myself early 40's, my mother, and DD who was 16) stayed there for a week in June/July 2008 and absolutly loved it.

The location was great...very easy to walk to so many sites, yet on a quiet street and with a metro station pretty much catty corner.

The hotel itself is beautiful. We had two rooms. One had a queen bed and the other two twins. Both rooms were extremely comfortable and felt luxurious. Our rooms faced the street, and had huge windows that opened. There are blackout shades built into the windows so that at night you don't see or hear a thing. The rooms are all soundproofed as well.

Adjacent to the lobby is a nice sitting room, which is beautifully decorated and very comfortable. Next to that is the breakfast room. We had breakfast there one morning and it was plentiful and good, although I still prefer to head out to a cafe.

The staff were very helpful with restaurant suggestions as well as arranging a shuttle to the airport on our final morning.

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 02:59 AM

The Britannique is a very attractive boutique hotel in a great location a block from the Seine. I had a street facing room with a small balcony and would happily stay there again.

The Degres de Notre Dame also has an excellent location but be aware that this is not a hotel in the traditional sense-no lobby or lounge.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much -- you have definitely helped us make up our mind. That plus all the other wonderful reviews we have stumbled upon in recent days.

49 days to go and counting!

D