Paris: (Abotel) Prince Albert

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris: (Abotel) Prince Albert

located 5 rue St-Hyacinthe.

Anyone been there recently?
The one or two mentions here in the past aren't inspiring, one posting only at tripadvisor.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 12:51 PM

Stayed there June 2002 on the recommendation of good friends. I cried when they showed me my room. A closet looking out on an air shaft with man in apartment right next door sitting in his open window talking on the phone and smoking a cigarette. He might as well have been sitting on the bed in the hotel room. After much angst with the front desk, they gave me another room. Larger and windows opening onto a pleasant courtyard. Weird red lacquer bath. Air conditioner thing in the corner that continuously flooded that corner of the room. After many complaints and inability of management to fix the problem, we dubbed it "le marais." My friends had rooms overlooking the street - much more attractive and better bathrooms. All that said, the room was less than $100 per night. I LOVED the neighborhood and have chosen another hotel in the same neighborhood for my trip in Feb 2004. Previous trip to Paris stayed at Hotel Muguet which was a fabulous bargain - great room, very clean. However, I've decided I prefer the 1st arrondisement.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

well, that certainly confirms my doubts!

What hotel have you chosen for Feb?
I'm looking for a bargain for this Dec.
I normally prefer the 1st myself, that's how I noticed the Prince Albert.
There's another little hotel on rue Hyacinthe, the Hotel des Tuileries--charming decor, rooms minuscule, not a good value imo vis a vis the price.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 07:28 AM

I bought an expedia package deal, $1800 for two people roundtrip from Atlanta with four nights at The Clarion St James. We passed the hotel every day on our way from the Prince Albert to the Tuileries Metro stop. It's at the corner of rue de Rivoli and whatever that side street is. It's a four star, so would have been out of my price range except for the package pricing.

Sorry to hear that the Hotel de Tuileries is not a good deal. I have saved Fodor posts regarding a few other hotels in the 1st: Hotel Duminy Vendome (utell.com), Hotel Folkestone Opera (best western), and Hotel Therese (www.hoteltherese.com).

Let me know where you end up.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 08:54 AM

Stayed at the Prince Albert October 2002. Though it was clean it was your typical small room painted a horrible bright yellow!!! Our room overlooked a courtyard also. As I like fresh air our window was always open and so it was really noisy early in the morning as locals were moving around the courtyard.
Front desk clerk was surly and not very helpfull even though I spoke french to him. Location is great though and we walked to many major sights(first time in Paris)My SO didn't seem to mind the room at all. Price was under $100.00 as I remember.
Would I stay there again? No.
Also checked out the Hotel Tuileries while I was there. Correct; Not a good value.
Would be interested to know where you end up as I also prefer the 1st.
Have a great trip
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

violetmouse provided a great tip regarding the HOtel Therese, I'm checking rates by emailing them.
Several good comments from the past right here at fodors, and absolute raves from past guests at tripadvisor.com