Naples, herculaneum, capri

Old Aug 5th, 2004, 08:13 AM
TP
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples, herculaneum, capri

Has anyone done an intinerary similar to this one? I'm wondering if this is too much to try to squeeze into one day? Can anyone offer tips on the hydrofoil/train? I hear the trains are easy but we are on a cruise so we have a timetable to adher to.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 08:20 AM

yes, all three would be too much for one day (two would be). where are you docking?
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 08:30 AM
TP
Original Poster

We are docking in Naples (I'm not sure of the exact location) and actually we want to skip Naples and head straight to Herculaneum then onto Capri or vice versa. Sorry my heading was a bit misleading. With these two, can we make it in a day? I read somewhere else the hydrofoils from NAples are @ 40 mins. but I'm not sure how reliable they are and frankly my biggest fear is getting stuck on the island. Am I being too worried?
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 08:51 AM

Have never taken a hydrofoil from Naples to Capri. We've always done this from Sorrento.

I agree with the previous poster that both Herculaneum and Capri is too much for one day. You wouldn't do justice to either place. IMHO you should decide on one or the other and really enjoy it.

You would take the Circumvesuviana train from Naples main station (lower level) to Herculaneum (Ercolano). It is a several block walk from the train station to the site. There is a ticket booth at the entrance and then a further walk to access the site. It is a very interesting Roman ruin and we spent several hours there.

Here is the train schedule:

http://www.massalubrense.it/circum.htm

I thought I had a ferry schedule too, but I can't find it. Perhaps someone else will be able to supply this for you.

Old Aug 5th, 2004, 09:49 AM
TP
Original Poster

Thanks for your message. These boards move really fast! I have the train schedule and the hydrofoil schedule but I'm still toying with the idea to combine the two. Maybe train to Herculaneum in early AM and either back to Naples to take the hydrofoil out to Capri. I'm hoping someone here has done this. We only have one day so if we can't do it, darn, I guess we'll have to come back!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 09:55 AM

Before you head out to Capri, check the return times.
I know when we were going out to visit friends on Ischia, the return hydrofoils stopped at 6:30 pm

We took the children to Herculaneum. If you have never visited a site like this before, DON'T miss it!
while I am sure Capri is lovely
(have only been to Ischai and Procida)
it is an island. One can see many lovely islands in one's lifetime, but places like Herculaneum are few and far between

If you do go to Herculaneum, spring for a guide.
We did, cost us about $75 for our family in 2001.
BUT, we definitely got our money's worth on the tour.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 10:04 AM

I agree with nanb on all counts...and I have been to Capri. Capri is a nice little island but not nearly as interesting a daytrip as Herculaneum (especially if you try to shoehorn it in that way). For the most part, it is a pretty resort, heavily touristed in the high season. The Blue Grotto is really no big deal, and while the cablecar is a nice view of the island and some barely visible ruins, it is nothing I'd choose over Herculaneum, or Pompeii for that matter.

Herculaneum was one of my favorite experiences in Italy, and we did spring for a private guide as nanb recommends. He was excellent-- it would not be the same on your own, I fear, unless you have read alot about Roman life and Vesuvius. Herculaneum is a solid half day...instead of trying to do Capri, how about doing the Museum in Naples for the other half day? (Haven't done this, but it is supposed to be amazing.) This puts you back where you have to meet your cruise...
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 10:07 AM

We did Pompei not Herculaneum, but wanted to second the suggestion of taking a guide. Thanks to Norberto (who was one of the official guides near the entrance offering his services)our visit was absolutely fascinating. I think otherwise we would've walked around for a while and missed getting any real idea of what we were seeing.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 10:41 AM

I strongly second the suggestion of a visit to the National Archeological Museum in Naples to complement and fill out your visit of Herculaneum.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 11:33 AM
TP
Original Poster

Thanks Guys, I'll be sure to report back for those who are interested in how things went. We are traveling with another couple so this is not entirely my decision but I have shared this post with them. I really appreciate everyone's input!!!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 11:37 AM

Does know about luggage left or lockers at Ercolano. We were planning on stopping on the way from Naples to Priano, but we have our luggage. Or would be better to leave it at the Naples station go back and then get back on the train to Sorrento? They are frequent.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 11:53 AM

TP, we stayed 2 nights in Naples (not the nicest of Italian cities) and were able to have a day's outing on Capri, which we enjoyed (forget the blue grotto). If its summer take your swimmers with you, very pleasant to have a swim on a hot Italian day. Our trip left Naples for Capri, then returned to Sorrento, where we had dinner, then bused it back to Naples. The next day was Pompei, which you must have a guide or guide book, to fully understand. After returning to Naples, we were fortunate to visit the National Museum there, where THE BEST OF POMPEI is exhibited. We found the ferry timetables to Capri, to be on time.
I wouldn't try to fit in too much on one day. It all comes down to whether you want history or scenery.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 12:58 PM

I've taken the hydrofoil from Naples to Capri and then onto Sorrento. Herculaneum and Pompeii are between Sorrento and Naples on the same train line. If you really want to do both I would try to get the earliest/fastest ferry/hydrofoil to Capri, sightsee, have lunch and catch an early ferry/hydrofoil to Sorrento where you can catch the train on to Herculaneum. Do Capri first and then you will be able to judge whether you will have enought time to add Herculaneum for a few hours.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 01:06 PM

We took the hydofoil from Naples to Capri. The ride was about 30-45 minutes. If you choose Capri, just go there are enjoy it.

It is possible to do Pompeii and Herculaneum in one day since they are close to each other. I believe they also have a joint entrance ticket that you can purchase.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 01:29 PM

Skipped Naples...heard it was not nice.
Capri...nice but not remarkable...except the shopping which was fun. Did Pompeii...a personal guide is a MUST!!! Worth every penny and made the experience so meaningful.