summer in malta

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
summer in malta

planning to visit Malta in August for one week. hoping to stay either villa/apartment. any suggestions where to go, what to see, car hire etc. any info at all as we are currently in dubai without any holiday brochures & reliant on net. many thanks.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 07:18 AM

Holly, I haven't been (yet) but found the following site very helpful:

http://www.visitmalta.com/en/e_brochure/index.html

You can download e-brochures and request more information via email.

Please post a trip report when you return ... I'm hoping to go in the Fall.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 05:39 PM

another get web site is www.searchmalta.com we've used this site extensively to prepare for our upcoming trip. have a great trip!
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 10:05 AM

Hope the following is of some help

For nightlife in Malta head for Paceville in St Julian?s ? the place is full of clubs and bars. In summer, there are some great open air clubs like Numero Uno and Gan Pula but these are out in the country site and may be difficult to find at night.

Best area for restaurants is down the road from Paceville - around Spinola Bay and Portomaso Complex. Other good places for eating out include Valletta, Mdina and the village of Marsaxlokk - the last one mainly for fish.

Main places of interest include Valletta (St John?s Cathedral, Museum of Archaeology, the Palace and the Armoury), the medieval city of Mdina and the Neolithic temples ? the most fascinating of these temples is the underground hypogeum of Saflieni. However you have to book your ticket a few days before since only a limited number of people are allowed at one time.

Best beaches are in the north of the island and include Golden Bay, Ghajn Tuffieha, Gnejna and Ghadira.

The island is great for diving with some of the best diving sites in the Med. There are numerous diving schools and shops at Sliema, St Paul?s Bay and Mellieha.

From Sliema and St Paul?s Bay, there are a number of boat trips you can take such as trips around the island, the Grand Harbour (the best way to admire the massive fortifications that surrounds it) and to the tiny island of Comino and the Blue Lagoon.

With re to car hire, the following site can be of help:
http://www.browsemalta.com/car_hire.htm
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 04:13 PM

Has anyone taken the Virtu Ferry from Malta to Catania, Sicily? What was the journey like?
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 07:14 PM

Holly,

I was in Malta for two weeks last July and my husband and I had a great time. Many of gocca's recommendations look good.

I would like to add that Gozo is a fantastic place to spend a couple of days. It is smaller and more quiet than the island of Malta but offers a lot of charm. It also has beautiful places to swim like the rocky but striking beach at Marsalforn, good diving at Xlendi and generally cute towns.

Have fun!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 02:30 AM

In addition to the above, another good website is aboutmalta.com. For weather, see maltaweather.com.

I stayed in Sliema when I was in Malta, which was easy walking distance to shops, clubs, ferries, etc. Valletta is another option, although I don't know the availability of villas or apartments there. Valletta is very quiet at night, but quite lively during the day. Republic Street is the historical focus of the city and has lots of shopping and cafes.(Please be aware that shops in Malta are generally closed from 12:30 p.m.-4:00 p.m.).

The main bus terminus is in Valletta, as well as the tourist office. There is also an audio-visual show called the Valletta Experience that you may enjoy.

From May to September there are some 30 different village celebrations called festas, complete with bands, fireworks, and processions. I also enjoyed Gozo, Mdina, Rabat and the fishing village of Marsaxlokk.

One good way to sightsee is by taking boat cruises. For info on cruises, see www.captainmorgan.com.mt

I greatly enjoyed Malta, and I hope you ave a wonderful time.

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 04:55 AM

Larz

I've taken the catamaran from Malta to Sicily (is this what you are referring to?).

I would describe the journey as 90 minutes, very smooth and pretty uneventful. It got me where I needed to go and that was about it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dave
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 02:59 PM

We are also thinking of a trip to Malta (with several days in Sicily)this July. Sciences - what was the weather like, when you went in July? On GOZO, is it true that places like Xlendi, Marsalforn, the Ggantija Temples and the beach at Ramla Bay are only about 10-15 minutes by bus - from the main bus depot in Victoria? Seems like you can see a great deal in one day. Do folks rent scooters to travel around on GOZO? (I've read that the drivers there can be a bit...adventurous?!) Dave - I was considering either the ferry or plane, between Catania(Sicily)and Malta. I read the journey is 3 hours(did you go between Malta and Pozzallo? I heard that, that trip is about 1 and 1/2 hours)and can be a stomach-churning trip! The ferry is much less expensive than the flight(which is close to $300 round-trip), but they run at odd times and vary by day. Still trying to decide which way to go. How long did you spend in Sicily and what did you see? We were looking into Siracusa and Taormina. Did you like Vittoriosa in Malta? Any other recommendations for Malta - in addition to what's been posted? Thanks
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 05:27 PM

Larz,

The weather last July was HOT. About 39 degrees celsius, humidity and blazing sun every day for two weeks. I don't know if it is like this every year, but let's put it this way...none of the locals looked too surprised.

As for distances and transportation on Gozo, my husband and I rented a car for a few days to get around. We tried to rent a scooter, but for some reason, the rental agencies were steering us away from the scooter option. Driving on Gozo is not so bad. Driving on Malta looked a lot more intimidating. Distances are probably around what you estimated with respect to Victoria. You could probably see a lot in a day, but in fact, I stayed there for a week. That's a nice length of time (if you can spare it) to really get into the relaxed pace and rhythm of the island.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 12:05 AM

Larz

Now I think back you are right and the catamaran was to Pozzallo and not Catania. I'm sorry for the mix up.

Having said that I wouldn't describe the trip as stomach churning, anything but. I can't remember the price but it seemed quite inexpensive.

Apologies again for the earlier confusion.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 10:08 PM
pda

August is surely the hottest month in Malta with temperatures regularly getting beyond the 40degrees centigrade. On the other hand, in August there are village feasts every weekend in different villages at the same time, so it's good for festa hoping. the restaurants in St.Julians are generaly the best on the Island, although there are many good restaurants in other parts of the Island. One very important tip is, always eat were the locals eat, never in a place with lots of foreigners. As for activities in Malta in August, swimming in the clear water during the day, (very important note ALWAYS put on loads of sun cream even if you're not on the beach you will not notice you've been sunburnt before it's too late). One important place to go while you're there is the Island of Gozo, a mere 25min by ferry from Marfa to Mgarr, the ferry is about every 40 - 50 minutes and if you're going to Gozo by car, think early, in August many factories and industries are closed for the summer holidays and many Maltese go to Gozo for their holidays, the ferries tend to be full. Another nice place is a day trip to the small island of Comino an uninhabited island with a beautifull Blue Lagoon, ferries from Sliema and Bugibba. Car hire is cheap and is important especially if you are not staying in the same place. As for cultural treasures, its a must to visit the Oldest temple in the world The Hagar Qim and Mnajdra temples, older by far and nicer than Stonehenge. One thing for sure, if you don't mind the heat, you will find loads of things to see and do here in Malta - Enjoy your visit!!
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 04:09 PM

Hello pda, and other Malta-fans! A few questions for you: How far is the Hypogeum and Tarxien Temple area from Valletta - by bus? Is the Hypogeum as amazing as I have read? Would we need a full day to visit these 2 sights, or can they be combined with a visit to say, Mdina/Rabat? On Gozo, I read that the town where the Ggantija Temples are also has a folk museum(in 3 houses from the 1500's), a windmill museum, and 2 caves. Have you seen these? Have you been to the Lascaris War Rooms Museum in Valletta? That's about all the questions that come to mind at the moment. Malta sounds/looks fantastic! Thanx for any comments or suggestions.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 07:11 PM

Larz: I can't answer any of your questions as I'm not going to Malta until April 26; however, it was highly recommended that you make an advance reservation for the Hypogeum. I e-mailed them and they set a reservation for my time span which works. The tour only takes an hour and is pretty close to Valletta. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 11:59 PM

Larz: Malta is only about 17 miles long, so from Valletta you can go pretty much anywhere on the island by bus in about half an hour.

My recollection is that the Hypogeum is only about 3 miles from Valletta, on the southern part of the island. The Tarxien Temples are very close to it. You don't need an entire day to see both sites, and can easily combine your trip with a visit to another part of the island.
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 10:46 PM
pda

Hi Larz, the hypogeum is not far from valletta by bus, but if I were you, I wont combine it with Mdina/Rabat on the same day.The Hypogeum is a vast underground temple and burial site,awesome! (search internet 'Hal Saflieni Hypogeum')there are plans and brief history. Mdina is a wonderful walled city with fine museums, architecture and churches, Rabat has some nice churches to visit too. The town in Gozo you are mentioning is Xaghra, the windmill is ta'Kola (search ta Kola windmill on google for it's website)the website gives you a pretty good insight on what to see. The Ggantijja temples are close by. When in Gozo visit the Gozo Experience.In Valletta a must is the St.John's co-cathedral with the painting of caravaggio.The bastions surrounding Valletta and Mdina are some of the finest in the Mediterranean. A visit to Mosta with it's huge dome is also a must. Bye,and as the Maltese say Sahha!
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 03:20 PM

Thanks for all the info! I was looking at a map and bus schedule, and it looks like Marsaxlokk is on the same line as the Hypogeum and Tarxien Temples area (and is closer to them, than the Mdina/Rabat area). Would Marsaxlokk be a nice area to visit(and perhaps go for a swim!)after seeing the Hypogeum and Tarxien Temples? Is it possible to rent boats, kayaks or canoes in the Grand Harbor or Sliema area? Thanks...
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 03:09 AM

Nancy, Nancy, Nancy! I am going to Malta in July (first I was supposed to go in April, which I suppose would have better), and I definitely want to see Hypogeum. Do you still have the e-mail adress for the place you made the rerservation? Could you give it here?
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 05:51 PM

Elina: Re Hypogeum - Here is the e-mail address wherein I requested info on making a reservation. I told him when I would be there (2 week period) and he set a date which worked. You may want to specify a couple of days you would like.

[email protected]
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 03:40 AM

Nancy, thank you. I can only imagine how disappointed I would have been if I had just been there and could not have seen it. Now I'll reserve early enough.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information