Sunday so it might be better to take day
tour. However, don't know if it worths
spending a lot of time on the bus. I have
never visited Germany so anywhere would be
good for me.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old May 26th, 2005, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd just wander around the center of town, enjoy an outdoor lunch if the weather is good, and visit one of the museums. They are open on Sunday. And of course there are lots of nice restaurants for a pleasant dinner. Good luck.
Old May 26th, 2005, 07:39 AM

It's easy to get around by train in Germany. Rothenburg is about three hours by train from München.
There is a ticket allowing a day's unlimited travel on local trains in Bavaria for 24 euros for up to five people or 17 euros for one person. You can head into the Alps, for instance. If you don't want to travel far, take the suburban S-Bahn train to the Starnbergersee, a big nearby lake.
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:18 AM

You could do the castles/palaces near Fuessen by either an organized tour, on your own using a combination of train and public transport, or by renting a car for the day.

Even though not as well-known (by non-Europeans anyway) the largest palace of them all (and the one that looks like a miniature Versailles inside) is at Herrenchiemsee which makes a wonderful day-trip (by rail) from Munich...but, most folks are more fascinated by Neuschwanstein and Linderhof I realize.

BUT with that short a time in Munich I would agree with the suggestion of staying within the city/close surrounds.

You can easily get to the Nymphenberg Palace within the city limits by tram and the Residenze, especially the Treasury with the carved Ludwig carriage collection is another possibility.

Starnberg, as was mentioned above, is easily reached by S-Bahn and makes a nice, pleasant trip as well.

Dachau, if you are interested in such.

Have a great trip.

Old May 26th, 2005, 08:45 AM

If you decide to do the castles or Rothenburg you will spend a great deal of your 1 1/2 days just getting there. Munich is a great destination in itself.

If you want to see what Ludwig's life was like you can do Nymphenburg Palace and the Residence right there in town. You can take public transportation to Dachau. You can also spend some time in the fussganger zone around Marienplatz and the Viktualen Markt nearby. Visit a beer hall. See the Bavarian Folk music show on the third floor of the Hoffbrau Haus.

Have a nice Bavarian dinner at the Augustiner, visit the art musuems, the Deutsches Museun (technology) the BMW musuem or just stroll through the Englisher Garten (central park) but be careful not to trip over the nude sunbathers.

You can take various walking or biking tours of Munich to suit your fancy, perhaps you would find the tour of Nazi sites interesting.

If it was me I think I would just extend my stay by a few days to really enjoy Munich.
Old May 26th, 2005, 10:36 AM

Bleupoint,

I think that Intrepid and Aisleseat's suggestions will be more than enough for your short stay.

We went to Munich for a week in March and I don't think we had enough time. Out of the suggestions, I would pick Schloss Nymphenburg, Residenz, Deutches Museum (that would take a good day to tour in its entirety), Marienplatz and Viktualien Market. Those should give you a good idea of any other stops that might catch your interest in the vicinity as well.

Do have dinner at Augustiner. It's very good food at a reasonable rate. If you prefer lighter fare, Bux's is a good pick too. It's vegetarian and they had a good selection. I love Alois Dallmayr and would recommend it to anyone that is looking for just a bite or a meal.

We went over Easter week and the shops were obviously closed that Sunday, so I cannot confirm if they would be closed on a regular Sunday. But, I also read in one of my guidebooks that most shops close early (6-7pm) on regular days - even weekends. We found that was not the case across the board.

Dachau is just a short trip. I think we spent half a day there, but we were in no rush. It is worth it if you have an interest in history.

Either way, hope you enjoy your time there.
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses! I really appreciate them. I guess I'll probably just hang out in Munich. Is that true that all shops are closed on Sunday? I am going there on my own, and I'd enjoy walking around, seeing the city life and going into shops and have a good beer.
Old May 26th, 2005, 04:13 PM

Here is a link that I found useful regarding shops: http://www.frommers.com/destinations...9_indshop.html

But, like I said, we found that the hours of operation were not always accurate. We found that they were usually open later than this link listed.
Old May 26th, 2005, 06:23 PM

Don't know about the rest of Germany, but in most of Bavaria most stores close sometime Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday. In a big city like Munich, there would probably be some open later on Saturday than in smaller places.

German stores tend to be quite punctual in their closing, though there are probably some exceptions. If the store normally closes at 2 p.m. on Saturday, you'd better be at the cash register at 1:59.
Old May 26th, 2005, 07:01 PM

While it might vary depending on the town, we found on our trip to Germany a couple of weeks ago that lots of places were open in Cochem on Sunday in the Altstadt.
Old May 26th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Besides shops or department stores, are there any markets (flea market, farmers market) that will open on Sunday? I will go to the Black Forest after Munich, so I can leave the arts and craft type souvenirs until later.

Thanks again for any feedback!
Old May 27th, 2005, 03:39 AM

bettyk--yes, an exception would be stores that depend on the tourist trade. Especially in the high season.
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:30 AM

Using up 1.5 days in Munich should be very easy. If the weather is nice, I would enjoy some outdoor time at the English Gardens..plenty of good spots for a brew, snack and people watching. One of the most enjoyable and distinctive attractions in Munich is the Glockenspiel that comes alive every day at 12 and 5 ( check the times with a local because these may have changed) in the town square - the Marienplatz. One of the best places to view this event is across the street in the pastry shop on the 3rd or 4th floor facing the Glockenspiel. Sorry I can't recall the name right now...Take the elevator up and try to get a seat by the window. Good view and great kuchen!
The Victualienmarkt, around the corner from St. Peter's, is also fun with lots of booths for wine, produce, flowers and local crafts. This, in addition to all of the museums should keep you quite busy!