Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4.5 days in Munich, is this good itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2017, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, i will be in Munich from Salzburg on the 21st February with my wife

and staying in Munich until 26th and fly back home, this is my first time in Germany, and with 4 full days, we are not into Beers ( although for the sake of the Bavarian tradition, we might drink a glass or two at most, we are also not into Museum and Trekking )

We love picturesque Old town , strolling the old town, shopping, buying souvenirs and eating and sightseeing, anything that is not tiring, ( yes we are a lazy couple, and just want to relax ) here is what i have in mind:

since on the 21st, i will only have half a day ( i plan to arrive early from Salzburg ), i will spend the rest of the evening exploring Marienplatz and do some light shopping and trying out German food.

on the 22nd, i plan to visit Rothenburg for a full day ( also visiting the town and around )

on 23rd, instead of the Neuschwanstein, i am thinking of going to Burghausen to see the Castle instead ( for me, this is the real deal of authentic Fortress ), maybe spend the day there and return to Munich for the evening.

24 and 25, i plan to just stay in Munich and maybe Dachau Camp in between.. i want to explore the city and just eat and eat and eat, so is there any recommendation for authentic local food and also cheap?

that said, i will only have 2 side trip to Rothenburg and Burghausen, is this ok for a first timer in Germany?

should i sub Burghausen and Rothenburg for any place?

Thank you
W
Old Feb 1st, 2017, 08:38 PM

Have you considered visiting Augsburg? It's not far from Munich by train and has a well preserved old city center.
Old Feb 1st, 2017, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Hi Frencharmoire,

Augsburg is indeed in my plan, but if i include Augsburg, i will lose 1 full day in the Munich city, which i will only have the 25th to fully explore,

i dont know what to expect in Munich yet, since we wont be going to museums, i guess strolling the city in 1 day might do justice?

3 side trip in 4 full days, do you think it's doable? or should i exchange Burghausen for Augsburg? since Augsburg is 30min from Munich versus 2.5 hours to Burghausen?

please advice
Old Feb 1st, 2017, 09:59 PM

If beer is not your thing how about a good wine bar/restaurant with a large selection of local wines?

http://www.restaurant-alter-hof.de/
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 12:15 AM

> on the 22nd, i plan to visit Rothenburg for a full day ( also visiting the town and around )

Please be aware that the trip to Rothenburg will be time consuming (at least 5:30 for the round trip) and expensive (prices for the »fast« connections start at 74E for two if you book right now; by travelling on the cheap Bayern ticket you will arrive shortly before 1pm only). You might consider going to Nürnberg or Regensburg instead, which have historic centers too (and way more shopping opportunities ... )
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

@michael

Hi, no unfortunately we are really not into either beer, wine, liquor, etc. We do not enjoy it, cocktail however are acceptable, but our priority is more towards the street food and authentic local food, drinks can be whatever..

@sla019

To think about it, you are right, 5.30 hour seems like a lot of wasted time. I might consider Regensburg.

Nurnberg seems like more of a big modern city compared to regensburg and rothenburg..

But to spend more time, i might end up choosing Regensburg.
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 01:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.dallmayr.com/ Sort of like Harrod's food hall.
Nuremberg is great, the train tunnel pops your right out into the walled city where there is great food vendors, beautiful churches, a castle and a lot of history. We love it there.
The Viktualienmarkt is a good place for shopping and eating.
The BMW tour is not like a museum and I loved it. Very fun.
We eat at all of the Augustiner beer halls. They have some of the best German food.
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 01:20 PM

Nuremberg has that old town feel. That would be my first pick. I loved the city. I stayed overnight in both regensburg and rothenberg. There isn't much to see in the former and the latter will feel claustrophobic due to tour crowds.

Munich is probably larger than you are expecting though, and I know you say you don't do museums- but the buildings themselves are beautiful and I'd still want more than a day in Munich if you only had interest in historical areas.
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Guys, what about Ingolstadt?

is it anywhere close to Rothenburg or Regensburg in terms of the medieval city?

Thanks
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 04:45 AM

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-...Vacations.html

I suggest this as it is very beautiful, great food and shopping but the mountain ride to get there is worth the trip. Take the train to Murnau and then to Oberammergau.
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 04:49 AM

Ingolstadt does have the Audi tour but would rather go south. Even Garmisch would be a great day trip.