Dachau or Neurnburg?

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 01:25 PM
sockboy

Dachau or Neurnburg?

We are travelling by train from Rothenburg to Munich. We are planning on stopping somewhere along the way for the afternoon. I have narrowed the choices down to Dachau or Neurnberg. Both work relatively well for train connections, with Neurnburg winning slightly on that front.

Do both train stations have lockers to stash our bags for the afternoon? Neurnburg must, but what about Dachau?

Dachau is on our "must see" list, but we also have 2 full days in Munich. So we could steal an afternoon from that time to take a side trip to Dachau. So I guess the question really comes down to:

Would you choose two full days in Munich, or a day and a half in Munich, and half a day in Neurnburg?

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 01:42 PM
ira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi S,

>..a day and a half in Munich, and half a day in Neurnburg?<

I understand about Dachau. What do you hope to get out of Neurnburg?

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 01:57 PM
sockboy

My interest in Neurnberg is rather generic. We are visiting big cities (Munich and Berlin) and small places (Cochem and Rothenberg), and I thought it would be nice to see a "mid-size" German city.

If I were choosing squarely between the two, Dachau would win, but I thought we could maybe squeeze in both . . .

Also, the connection through Dachau isn't ideal, and I was concerned about the availability of lockers there, so it seems like leaving it for a separate side trip might be more convienient . . .

Old Aug 18th, 2005, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given only 2 days in Munich, I would go directly to Munich and go to Dachau as a day trip from Munich as it is less than a hours commute from Munich. The old section of N'burg, however, is fantastic and definitely worth visiting, but not at the expense of adequate time in Munich and Dachau.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 07:38 PM
sockboy

CharlieB, I don't know why I didn't think of this 3rd option . . . I was so wrapped up with the the idea of stopping somewhere along the way. This way I can have a half day in Munich that same day, and then make a half day trip to Dachau on one of my other days without worrying about bags. I actually have a 3rd day in Munich, but it was set aside for a trip to Ludwig's castles.