Notices

Looking for information about Augsburg.

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for information about Augsburg.

I was born in this city sixty years ago, and left it at the ripe old age of four. At the time we lived in a displaced persons camp since my parents had come to Augsburg from Latvia during the war.

I've been to Europe several times, but never back to Germany, and this would be on the list of my future places to go. Unfortunately, my usual group tour that I travel with doesn't have Augsburg on their itinerary, and I am wondering how I would do on a solo trip. I don't speak German (anymore) and I would probably be traveling as a single female.

Any advice is appreciated!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 05:05 AM

We ended up staying in Augsburg a few years ago when we couldn't find anything available in Munich because of Oktoberfest.

As you probably know Augsburg is a less-than-hour train ride from Munich.

Our hotel was located near the pedestrian zone.

We enjoyed Augsburg very much as a smaller and quieter alternative to Munich.

I wouldn't stay there INSTEAD of Munich unless I had to but I am sure you will enjoy a return.

We speak little German and had no trouble at all with eating, shopping, etc.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:25 AM

>Unfortunately, my usual group tour that I travel with doesn't have Augsburg on their itinerary, and I am wondering how I would do on a solo trip.

There are only very few countries (Switzerland maybe) where a tour is as unnecessary as in Germany. Just jump into the train to where you want to go, or rent a car, and enjoy.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Dukie, thanks, I probably will stay in Augsburg because of my personal history there, but Munich would be the second city visit of choice.

Altamire, thanks for setting me at ease about the travel and language. Now I have to dredge up some ancient fading memories to see if I can match them with the scenery once I get there.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 08:21 AM

This will undoubtedly sound heretical, but I like Augsburg more than Munich. I've been to Munich a number of times and don't see what all the fuss is about. Augsburg is very walkable, with lots of interesting architecture, which seemed very German to me. Very distinctive.

I enjoyed visiting the Fuggerei and even attempted to attend Mass at the little church in the Fuggerei. The Mass was to be in Italian, as I recall, but for some reason the priest didn't show.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Pegontheroad, I will visit the places you mention, since I have so few memories. In fact, all I can really remember is a park with a large cross where my grandmother used to take me. Can't find anything like that on any website, so maybe it isn't even there anymore. I do remember my mother saying that the city reminded her of the small section of Disney's Epcott that represented Germany.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 04:06 AM
ira

Hi D,

>..I am wondering how I would do on a solo trip. I don't speak German (anymore) and I would probably be traveling as a single female. <

We just visited Germany and Austria. My German is very limited and ny wif's is nonexistent, but we had little trouble.

Augsburg is on the Romantic Road.

Would you be willing to drive, or do you want to do your visit by train?

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response, Ira, I prefer not to drive. I would rather let someone else do the navigating so that I can see the sights, be it by bus, train or donkey. And I assume that as in other parts of Europe where I have visited, mass transit is not a problem. I'm also a great believer in taxis, once I'm in a city. I have had some great experiences with taxi drivers who bend over backward to be wonderful hosts and tour guides. I only have to mention that my husband drove a cab for years and I am almost accepted into the family.