Where to stay outside Munich during Oktoberfest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are looking into going to Germany during the 1st week of Oktoberfest this year but we have decided to stay outside of Munich (thinking it might be cheaper to stay somewhere else - based on some of my research).

We want to find a good home base for 4 nights/5 days that will be good for day trips around Bavaria, as well as easy access to Munich for a day at Oktoberfest and to Frankfurt where we are probably flying in and out of.

I have been looking at Wurzburg and Nurnberg but I am having trouble finding a good list of recommended hotels/B&Bs in those towns. We are looking for places that are around 100 Euros a night.

We also want to do everything by train - so we want a base that is well connected by trains and also hotels that are close to the train stations if possible.

What would you recommend as a good home base for us? Any hotel/B&B recommendations?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 11:00 AM

You may also try Augsburg (~60km West of Munich). Nice old town, good rail connections.

Yet, Oktoberfest is not a good time to be picky in an appr. 100km radius around Munich.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

I found 2 smaller hotels in Nurnberg and wondered if anyone had stayed at either of them before -- Hotel Astoria and Nurnberg Trichter? Hotel Astoria seems to be right next to the main train station which is nice but the Trichter looks like a cute B&B outside of the city centre.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 04:19 PM

If you are religiously minded - you can stay in a monastery in Munich for very little money - even during Oktoberfest.

Old Mar 13th, 2008, 05:40 PM

By "outside Munich" I assume you mean far enough away to avoid the clamour of Oktoberfest, but near enough to get into Munich on a day trip if you want to? I would class Wurzburg and Nuremberg as different places entirely from Munich, rather than as places "outside Munich".

I have stayed at Herrsching during Oktoberfest. It is a charming little lakeside spot at the end of a commuter train (S-bahn) link from Munich.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 06:03 AM

We stayed in Munich for Oktoberfest, but about 25 minutes on the S/U bahn from the city center at the Apart Hotel Munchen Sendling. Great rates, very clean, staff spoke great English and extremely close to a U-bahn stop.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 05:51 PM

I know of a place outside Munich (I've been there 5 times), 20 min by S-bahn from Marienplatz, and they only show one price for there rooms. I don't think they charge more during Oktoberfest. However, they only speak German (Hey, it's Germany) and I asked them last time there if I could recommend them to "English only" speaking tourist, and the said, "That would be very bad".

So, can you speak German?
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 09:44 AM

Actually, we did just what you are thinking about and stayed outside of Munich during Oktoberfest. But when we added up all of the train cost and time lost, I would say it wasn't worth it. Someone had the suggestion to stay outside of the center and use the S Bahn, that is a good idea. There is a lot more in Munich you don't want to miss. For Oktoberfest keep in mind that they won't serve you a beer, in the tents, unless you are seated at a table and most of them are reserved! Stuttgart has a festival at the same time and a friend said it was better than Munich.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 10:32 AM

Lawchick, what is the name of the monastery in or near munich?